front end conversion(older van----newer clip)

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
s10-den
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: front end conversion(older van----newer clip)

Post by s10-den »

Yes, Thanks for those as well Andy...
94 Astro cargo EXT----Bought specifically to mod!!Will be tbi 350 v8 and new front end conversion
Done so many v8 s10's their old news

Topic author
s10-den

Post by s10-den »

QUESTION.How are you suppose to get the bolt off thats between the door and fender?Not the one that you can get to easy, :) .The one that has the square nut welded to what looks like somekind of bracket,hell, it might just be welded to the fender inself.I looked behind the inner fender(rubber)and there is no bolt there... :-k
I was doing a "test" disassemble to see what kind of problems I will run into... :D Thats about the only think I can think of at this moment.Have not officially started the swap yet, just testing stuff, lol
EDIT::::I got that bolt figured out,took the fenders off today for a test run,all went smooth,then the rain came #-o
94 Astro cargo EXT----Bought specifically to mod!!Will be tbi 350 v8 and new front end conversion

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe »

Here is an alternative way to bolt up the new shape fenders to the older van without the need to change the core support. The fenders are obviously too long, so these brackets were fabricated.

Hood catch next.

Andy.

86 Air ride Camaro and soon to be Air Astro!

Topic author
s10-den

Post by s10-den »

Now thats some great alternative pics there!question,"IF" I was to leave the old core support, how and where did you bolt the bottom of the new fenders?

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe »

s10-den wrote:Now thats some great alternative pics there!question,"IF" I was to leave the old core support, how and where did you bolt the bottom of the new fenders?
If you mean the front of the fenders, have a look at this photo

The red bracket below the fenders has been bent downwards to sit along the panel. Mine has gfx all the way round so I can't comment on how it all matches up to the rest of the front of the van.

Hope this helps a bit. Keep the questions coming! I will post a pic of the bonnet catch tomorrow that I am just about finishing ! Now that is a masterpiece=if I say so myself :)

Andy.

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Always a pleasure seeing what you have to post, Andy.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

Andy's take is definately an alternative but it is seems like it would be extra work in the long haul unless you are going totally custom up front. The grill, lights, bumper, etc. will not fit without a bunch of fab work. Plus, if you are installing a V8 you will lose the best part of a front end conversion. The extra 5" or so of extra clearance up front. In a day or two you can drill out the old support and install the new one by welding or sheetmetal screws. No extra fab work.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

This is the first time that I have seen new-style front fenders made to work with and old-style rad support .

What does your hood latch set-up look like Andy? because the new-style hood is also 5-8 inches longer than old-style....?
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe »

lockdoc wrote:Andy's take is definately an alternative but it is seems like it would be extra work in the long haul unless you are going totally custom up front. The grill, lights, bumper, etc. will not fit without a bunch of fab work. Plus, if you are installing a V8 you will lose the best part of a front end conversion. The extra 5" or so of extra clearance up front. In a day or two you can drill out the old support and install the new one by welding or sheetmetal screws. No extra fab work.
Quite right. I have spent hours on this, but that is the fun though :) I need all the space I can get at the front because I am doing a front end conversion of lights grille etc. Current plans are 8 4th gen camaro headlights and LED marker lights and indicators. Most custom built. The grille is going to be totally custom built!
Also, getting a front core support from a later model here in the UK is just about impossible :-({|=

Andy.

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe »

Here are the requested photos of the hood latch support bracket that bolts to existing holes in the old core support. Worked well and very strong. Here are a few views before it gets painted

Andy.

Topic author
s10-den

Post by s10-den »

Man If I had your skills, I would be in trouble, I would have everything torn apart!!!Nice work there Andy..
I cant believe the original bumper is still on there behind the airdam...

Topic author
s10-den

Post by s10-den »

OK, when removing the new support off the donor van,there seems to be 3 layers of metal???I now understand about getting a piece of the inner fender, but do I need to get the part "above "(fenderwell?) the tire too? That is a beech to try and cut out !!Or do i just get the 1-2 foot of the top inner fender where it is pop welded to the core support?Will be getting the parts to start this weekend if the yard can get the water out so we can get to the back,lol The cars are not under water, but the path getting to the cars is about 2-3 foot under water thanks to tropical Storm Fay we had come through here,but any way ,thanks for all the help so far on this....

EDIT::::On page 2, the first post by Dean, he shows the inner fender he cut and the core support, I guess that pretty much answers my question.BUT,what did you guys fill in the wheel well with?Just welded some metal in there or do you have to do anything to it??

dean89
I get chills without my van.

Post by dean89 »

The wheel well itself doesn't change, I only needed it to replace some damage on the passenger side. The picture shows what you want to get, if it is easier you really only need a few inches. This picture is from when Devin converted his, I think it shows how much of the inner fender you need.
Last edited by dean89 on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
1989 Astro, 3" DJM drop, 5.7 tbi
1991 Chevrolet C1500 4.3 tbi 5spd 4-6" DJM drop (brother's truck)
1983 Chevrolet K20 350/4spd, 3.5" lift w/35's

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

I don't recall having to do anything with the wheel well area. The original plastic crap goes back where it was. You will need the plastic filler piece for the lower rear area of the fenders that only the 95+ vans have.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

Topic author
s10-den

Post by s10-den »

OK, Now I see.Hell, I'm out there trying to cut the van in half almost...lol
So on the inside of the fenderwell where it bolts to the support on the bottom, it just welds back to the bottome like it was?I was thinking you guys had to extend the fenderwell area too.