ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

Topic author
THier
I am merely driving my van

V8 questions,, tried search.

Post by THier »

Hello all,

I have had my 1997 AWD Safari since 1999, I love it but I use it more as a spare - winter vehicle. I have a low 12 second PT Cruiser for my main transportation.

So I have started to explore the V8 swap, I have most of the info I think, But here's a question for you. My 97 has an aluminum oil pan, so modifying it is out of the question. What applications will provide a pan that works? Where is the interference of most pans? Axle tube?

Also, how high do I need to get the van to drop the subframe for swap? I have a low profile tranny jack, so I can remove tires and use the tranny jack to roll it out, or should I just cut the Rad support?

Thanks
Tom

TheChopFather
Retired
Retired

Re: V8 questions,, tried search.

Post by TheChopFather »

jtr.com sells the pan already modied...

what does a low 12 second PT Cruiser look like? I know Ive driven many of modded up PTs and they all drive like they have an anchor in tow...
ISN'T HE SO SEXY IN HIS PRETTY WHITE DRESS???LOL

Topic author
THier

Post by THier »

TheChopFather wrote:

what does a low 12 second PT Cruiser look like? I know Ive driven many of modded up PTs and they all drive like they have an anchor in tow...
Something like this,

Started life as a normal GT PT, then went nuts from there, 50Trim turbo and supporting mods. If i turn down the boost,, it acts like a GT on steroids,, if I turn the boost up,, well then!!!

Looking at a lot of posts,, It almost looks like JTR isn't selling the Astro-Safari, stuff anymore, I'll call them Tuesday.

Tom

89AstroDan
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 89AstroDan »

I bought my motor mounts from them just last month.
89 Astro Shorty
3.73 G80

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

THier wrote: Also, how high do I need to get the van to drop the subframe for swap? I have a low profile tranny jack, so I can remove tires and use the tranny jack to roll it out, or should I just cut the Rad support?
Even though I dropped my subframe out for my engine swap, I'm not sure this is the easiest way to do it. If I was just doing a basic engine swap, I think I would have cut the radiator support instead. Just seems like a whole lot less stuff to deal with.

That being said, the actual removal of the subframe was easy. You just need an engine hoist/cherry picker hooked to a chain wrapped around the lower core support. It will lift it high enough to clear the engine and you can then roll out the subframe on it's two front wheels.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
THier

Post by THier »

89AstroDan wrote:I bought my motor mounts from them just last month.
Cool thanks,, I keep seeing these threads saying folks can't find mounts. I'll order them today.

Tom

Topic author
THier

Post by THier »

mdmead wrote:
THier wrote: Also, how high do I need to get the van to drop the subframe for swap? I have a low profile tranny jack, so I can remove tires and use the tranny jack to roll it out, or should I just cut the Rad support?
Even though I dropped my subframe out for my engine swap, I'm not sure this is the easiest way to do it. If I was just doing a basic engine swap, I think I would have cut the radiator support instead. Just seems like a whole lot less stuff to deal with.

That being said, the actual removal of the subframe was easy. You just need an engine hoist/cherry picker hooked to a chain wrapped around the lower core support. It will lift it high enough to clear the engine and you can then roll out the subframe on it's two front wheels.
OK,, so if I decide to cut the rad support,, I am guessing I should fab up some sort of bolt on tabs in case I decide - need to yank the motor again.

Now,, If I decide to go crate motor, rather than junk yard, what should I look for from the JY, just the intake and everything above it?

Thanks,
Tom

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

[quote="THierOK,, so if I decide to cut the rad support,, I am guessing I should fab up some sort of bolt on tabs in case I decide - need to yank the motor again.

[/quote]

You will get other opinions stating removing the subframe is the way to go... In the end, you should do what you are most comfortable with.

Apparently GM made a kit for the '95 vans that allows you to cut the radiator support and then bolt it back using their parts. You might want to check and see if this kit is still available. (It should work on any 95 and up van.) Darren (SoCalli V8) fabbed up his own kit and I think others have too.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!