Non astro/safari van help needed, 99 suburban please

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
brianjansubg
I am merely driving my van

Non astro/safari van help needed, 99 suburban please

Post by brianjansubg »

Well it's true, I only come around when I need help, like a worthless brother in law.

Anyways, this is actually for my Dad who is Marooned in in Little Current, Manitoulin Island, ON :canuk:

The boat is loaded, ready to make the 500 mile trek back home :usa: , and they are staying in a hotel awaiting some help from a local mechanic, as dad is without a garage, and time to find the solution.

Anyways the problem involves his 1999 suburban 454 4x4 3/4 ton. I believe the codes were 0131, 0134, 0151, 0154. They are for the heated and non-heated O2 sensors on each bank. The manual states that low fuel pressure (pump in tank) or Mass Air Flow Sensor are potential causes.
He has replaced the Mass Air Sensor to no avail. It now acts like it is starving for fuel, and can barely move itself down the road.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, (hint, hint v8famvan) as they are not able to get themselves or the boat home till they get it solved.
formerly known as brianjansing
couldn't find the keys in that drunken haze called a registration

2001 safari awd
tan on tan on tan
bone stock with the exeption of a plate tranny cooler, hidden hitch and a pair or car seats that always seem to smell like poo

77bc
I am smitten with my van

Re: Non astro/safari van help needed, 99 suburban please

Post by 77bc »

will a blocked fuel filter cause codes like that?

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Sounds like it may be time for a fuel pump and filter change. At the very least, test the fuel pressure.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
brianjansubg

Post by brianjansubg »

fuel pump is going in tomorrow morning. that is somehting that the manual leads to, was also hoping these codes might spark something contained in the service bulletins that might be given as further advice.

thanks!

bri

2001 safari awd
tan on tan on tan
bone stock with the exeption of a plate tranny cooler, hidden hitch and a pair or car seats that always seem to smell like poo

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Post by v8famvan »

Those codes all indicate a lean or insufficiently switching O2s - roughly translated, it is lean/starving for fuel. This matches up with the concern of a lack of power.
I think the fuel pump will fix it.
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian

Topic author
brianjansubg

Post by brianjansubg »

Thanks James.

Update, fuel pump fixed all. They are now safely back in Indiana, and the suburban is about to go into hibernation for another winter. With Gas prices what they are, they put their winter miles on their awd saturn.

Dad was impressed with what the mechanic charged him to change the pump. Labor was only approx 200.00 us. Seems pretty inexpensive considering it had a full tank of gas to contend with.

bri

2001 safari awd
tan on tan on tan