Hello... and a swap question

ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Hello... and a swap question

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Having the drivetrain offset also gives room for the gas tank. The rear diff is also offset.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
BULLDOZER
I am merely driving my van

Post by BULLDOZER »

ok thanks, so there would not be a problem it I centered the motor and built the motor mount maybe an inch lower for a better center of gravity... or should I just save my time and place the motor where it would normally be?
BIG PLANS... little money

s10-den
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by s10-den »

I want to know how you are going to move the van or the motor to get one or the other out of the way..??
94 Astro cargo EXT----Bought specifically to mod!!Will be tbi 350 v8 and new front end conversion
Done so many v8 s10's their old news

Topic author
BULLDOZER

Post by BULLDOZER »

s10-den wrote:I want to know how you are going to move the van or the motor to get one or the other out of the way..??
a lot of muscle and very little brains...

finally got everything in my garage today... let the fabbing begin... but then again I keep thinkng, I want that 454 with the 4x4 stuff in the astro, maybe I can just do a sas swap...

Topic author
BULLDOZER

Post by BULLDOZER »

I finally got around to doing a test fit, and i have some issues with the motor mounts. I don't think I can use anything from the mounts that were there (from the 4.3). So I will have to cut them off and build from the crossmember, shouldn't be a big deal. My question is on a chevy v8 do you have to move the motor forward? The motor mounts for the dodge are set petty close to the front of the block. But everything else cleared, even my headers.

On a side note, on a astro awd does the transfer case just hang off the back of the tranny? Are there any additional supports for the transfer case... or does the crossmember at the back support the tranny and the transfer case?
I'm curious if this rear crossmember will support a turbo 4000 and a 305 transfer case. I am also curious about the unibody... does it add any strength to swapping this or that into an astro.

Thanks

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

You can see where the motor mounts are moved forward about 4"

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_ ... ounts.html
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Some pics of this swap'd be cool.... :-k
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I finally got around to doing a test fit, and i have some issues with the motor mounts. I don't think I can use anything from the mounts that were there (from the 4.3). So I will have to cut them off and build from the crossmember, shouldn't be a big deal. My question is on a chevy v8 do you have to move the motor forward?
Yes the GM V8 swap requires moving the engine forward about 4". This way the tranny lines up in the same location.
On a side note, on a astro awd does the transfer case just hang off the back of the tranny? Are there any additional supports for the transfer case... or does the crossmember at the back support the tranny and the transfer case?
The t-case does hang off the back of the tranny. There is a support rod that connects from the t-case to the engine block for additional support. When we do a 2 speed t-case swap, we all leave the extra support rod off. There is an adapter that sandwiches between the tranny and t-case. This adapter is what supports the tranny and t-case.
I'm curious if this rear crossmember will support a turbo 4000 and a 305 transfer case.
turbo 4000 and 305? Never heard of them...Are you talking about a GM turbo 400 (TH400) and an old cast iron gear driven 205 transfer case? If so then yes they will be supported but you will have to modify the mount. I am curious as to why you are using a TH400 and not a dodge 727?
I am also curious about the unibody... does it add any strength to swapping this or that into an astro.

Thanks
No idea what you are asking for here.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc

Topic author
BULLDOZER

Post by BULLDOZER »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:
Yes the GM V8 swap requires moving the engine forward about 4". This way the tranny lines up in the same location.

turbo 4000 and 305? Never heard of them...Are you talking about a GM turbo 400 (TH400) and an old cast iron gear driven 205 transfer case? If so then yes they will be supported but you will have to modify the mount. I am curious as to why you are using a TH400 and not a dodge 727.

ok,that clears things up, and after seeing a picture of the motor mounts used to swap a 350 in i ave a better idea.

I have been on some heavy duty pain pills due to a recent injury... guess it was effecting my typing 8-[ . I am still kicking around the idea of using the 454, th400 and 205, and going 4x4... that is the reasoning for my questions.

Thanks for your info.

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:
I finally got around to doing a test fit, and i have some issues with the motor mounts. I don't think I can use anything from the mounts that were there (from the 4.3). So I will have to cut them off and build from the crossmember, shouldn't be a big deal. My question is on a chevy v8 do you have to move the motor forward?
Just to clarify since I don't think this was typed quite right. The motor doesn't actually move forward 4 inches. The engine will be 4 inches longer. So it sits 4 inches forward from where it was. The rear of the motor stays where it originally was. The motor mounts need to be moved forward about 4 inches.

This is all based on swapping a Chevy small block. Other engines may be a little different but all will basically leave the rear of the engine in the same position as the original V6.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Yeah...what he said! :muhaha:
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

Maybe some one could chime in with how much forward the engine mounts have to be for a BBC.The BBC's are longer.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Having only done a BBC swap and not a small block, I can't say fer sure. But I'd guess that the mountes end up roughly 4" forward as well, or so it seemed
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Rockwerx »

I would build the BBC for your project, but if you really wanted to be different then go with the Dodge engine and trany. You would probably be one of the first if not THE first if you went with the Dodge SB.

IMO the 2wd subframe is a better choice for the BBC as there is more room between the frame rails. The extra room will help alot when it comes time to installing some performance headers. If you are going to go with a SAS you can go with either coils or leaf springs with the 2wd subframe. I looked at quite a few Fords for a Dana 44 axle before I found one the one I wanted. I finally got one out of a 79 Bronco with 8 bolt wheels and dual front shocks.

Good luck with your project! :cheers:
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

Topic author
BULLDOZER

Post by BULLDOZER »

Well my project is one of dealing with what i got parts wise. I think the 4x4 astro idea is awesome... but i can't get the thought of my wife laying a golden egg if i start ripping apart the blazer in the front yard too :-k . So the dodge is going in, but i still have the 4x4 option with that too, the dodge truck i had with the 360/727 had a divorced 201... and that is a problem, how am i going to mount that sucker... it's heavy, can i use the unibody rails that run under the middle of the astro as a part of a mounting point for the transfer case? If not I'm just going with the 2wd astro and i'll leave it at that.

Thanks for all the replys... and answering questions that may get asked over and over.

I will post some pics as soon as some progress is made, my little injury has had me sidelined somewhat, and not being 100% on my idea's hasn't helped much either.