Auto Trans Overdrive Issue?

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
chemist
I finally get the smurf thing

Auto Trans Overdrive Issue?

Post by chemist »

So, my 2003 AWD Astro has been having an issue on the highway and downhill runs for some time. Simply, you put it in Overdrive, it runs through the first three gears fine. But on the last gear, it never goes in... At 60+ it'll make a rattling or vibrating noise when you take your foot off the gas pedal, until it slows to about 50 or 55 at which point the noise becomes less apparant. No other mechanical issues noted (other than something where heater won't switch from top vents, that I don't really care about right now...) Oh, and the fluid doesn't seem burnt; it's not gritty either--both good signs I hope... I did the drain and fill about 10K miles ago, new filter and cleaned magnet when the issue started, and that did not improve.

It's been freaking me out a little... What could this mean?

Am I looking at an auto trans rebuild, and if so, am I in better shape to try to fix now, or should I wait until the sucker doesn't run--hopefully after my wife gets her RN...

If I flush it, is there a danger that it will sieze up entirely like my Buick did?

Could this be something completely stupid and not tranny?

Previous Vans: 1998 Astro, AWD, 138K mi; traded on 2003 Chevy Astro, AWD, 125K mi; traded on
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT, 4x4, ext, long box
2007 Chevy Cobalt
1998 Maza MPV (180K mi and in need of PA inspection--only paid $500!)

Needed: a Gen 2 Astro project vehicle...

zook94
I get chills without my van.

Re: Auto Trans Overdrive Issue?

Post by zook94 »

The vibration noise is probably the viscous coupling in the transfer case. I would check for a bad shift solenoid, or broken wires inside the transmission. Replacement solenoids are not that expensive, but I can't tell you the procedure for testing them on an '03.
http://www.misfitoffroad.com

'93 EXT 2wd 5.0 (for now)

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

zook94 wrote:The vibration noise is probably the viscous coupling in the transfer case.
His being a 2003, there is no viscous coupling in the transfer case.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

zook94
I get chills without my van.

Post by zook94 »

See? I told you I didn't know, and I wasn't kidding. :poke:
http://www.misfitoffroad.com

'93 EXT 2wd 5.0 (for now)

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Using the SC2, I verified that Grumpy is not shifting into OD this morning. I had thought so for a while, but being able to see the RPMs really confirmed it. New trans filter and gasket is scheduled for delivery today. Hopefully new fluid and Seafoam will will clear it up. I'll also check for loose wires. 17.4 mpg sucks.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

COMP
I am smitten with my van

Post by COMP »

updates ???

Topic author
chemist
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by chemist »

Sorry to bump such an old post. But I do have something of an update on this, and would love some input.

The transmission issue is no longer as pronounced--not as much vibration at higher speeds, although still present. It's actually worse if you drive around in 3rd... I'm thinking it is going into OD based on downhill speeds with my foot off the gas.

On another note I've noticed, on rare occasion, that it doesn't just drop into first and take off from a dead stop--there can be something of a pause between when I push the gas and when the van moves. It's not related to the engine or throttle as far as I can tell. But it's yet to simply take a dump on me and not take off though...weird.

Previous Vans: 1998 Astro, AWD, 138K mi; traded on 2003 Chevy Astro, AWD, 125K mi; traded on
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT, 4x4, ext, long box
2007 Chevy Cobalt
1998 Maza MPV (180K mi and in need of PA inspection--only paid $500!)

Needed: a Gen 2 Astro project vehicle...