Do bodywork or sell???

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
safariobsession
I finally get the smurf thing

Do bodywork or sell???

Post by safariobsession »

The bodywork itself doesn't really scare me, but it's where it is. I might add pictures later. I'm to the point where I'm really contemplating on going forward with a V8 swap and then be obligated to do the body work that is needed pretty bad.

Passenger Side:
The rockers are basically gone (some structural parts rusted through - big rust hole in lower slider track)
Rust above windsheild (used to leak, fixed couple years ago with sanding primer, paint and sealer...still leak free but bubbling up again)
^ Caused headliner to lose strength/drooping.
dog leg area behind slider rusted through.
Start to rust around passenger door lock hole
slider - rust popping up

Driver's Side:
Rockers rusted up to body molding at one point

Back:
Rust "building" at lower edge of doors
Rust bubling around license plate box

Front:
Pretty much perfect

The interior is damn nice and looks new except for the headliner. Trans strong, engine burns oil in one cylinder (V8 planned, no biggie) The rest of the frame is solid...new fiberglass spring, ball joints, tie-rods, tires, 2 year old idlers).

I'm really torn into giving it up....been in the family for 15 years. The whole "sentimental value."

I've got my eyes on buying other 90-94 "rust free" safaris but have willing help and ambition to do bodywork on mine too....ahhhhh!

What are availability of rocker panels/factory panels for repair also? The structural stuff i can buold myself. What to do....

The rest of the van is shiny (except for peeling paint on roof) and has only a few door dings.

This van is considered the love of my life by some, haha. Can't see driving anthing else!
Van sold April 2009 -->

Image Image

Current Mods:

Diamond-Cut Headlights.......................Clear Corners.....
Gloss Black Wheels......P235/70-15 Firehawk Indy 500 tires
Pioneer CD/MP3 Player.....800W Legacy Amp.....Two 10" Sonys
Dynomax Super Turbo......SunPro Tach......GMC Truck Badged
Heated/Cooled Center Console......750 Watt Inverter with Custom 120V outlet

skippy
I sleep in my van

Re: Do bodywork or sell???

Post by skippy »

The biggest concern is check the underside real good , brake lines ,fuel lines, tank, frame , etc............ if these things are as rusty as the rest of the van then i'd say its time to go . my 88 was like that , it seemed like a little body work would bring her back to life till i got under it & really started looking good at everything . all my lines were shot the frame right above the rear end was rusting through , and sad as it was i had to put her to rest . but i live in NY so the snow & salt here is what killed it . #-o #-o #-o
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

A car restorer told me once, "Mechanicals are easy, body work is hard. Start with the straightest body you can find."

I understand the sentimental value of a vehicle, but if it has that much cancer it'll most likely be cheaper in the long run to find another van with a good body.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

safariobsession wrote:The bodywork itself doesn't really scare me, but it's where it is. I might add pictures later. I'm to the point where I'm really contemplating on going forward with a V8 swap and then be obligated to do the body work that is needed pretty bad.

Passenger Side:
The rockers are basically gone (some structural parts rusted through - big rust hole in lower slider track)
Rust above windsheild (used to leak, fixed couple years ago with sanding primer, paint and sealer...still leak free but bubbling up again)
^ Caused headliner to lose strength/drooping.
dog leg area behind slider rusted through.
Start to rust around passenger door lock hole
slider - rust popping up

Driver's Side:
Rockers rusted up to body molding at one point

Back:
Rust "building" at lower edge of doors
Rust bubling around license plate box

Front:
Pretty much perfect

The interior is damn nice and looks new except for the headliner. Trans strong, engine burns oil in one cylinder (V8 planned, no biggie) The rest of the frame is solid...new fiberglass spring, ball joints, tie-rods, tires, 2 year old idlers).

I'm really torn into giving it up....been in the family for 15 years. The whole "sentimental value."

I've got my eyes on buying other 90-94 "rust free" safaris but have willing help and ambition to do bodywork on mine too....ahhhhh!

What are availability of rocker panels/factory panels for repair also? The structural stuff i can buold myself. What to do....

The rest of the van is shiny (except for peeling paint on roof) and has only a few door dings.

This van is considered the love of my life by some, haha. Can't see driving anthing else!

I am going to give you some hope for you and your 15 yr family van.If you think about guys who have a "barn find"(like a bucket T) and bring them back because they couldn't think of any other type of project they would rather do,that kind of makes up your mind for you.If this the van for you,doesn't matter about money,time,or anything else.You just take on one spot of rust at a time and make it right.Good luck on your van,and post the pics as you make progress.

BTW:Doors are too easy to replace-I think your best off just replacing them.

http://WWW.car-parts.com
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Topic author
safariobsession

I should really remember your guys' real names, haha but...

Skippy, I've repaired a fuel line and a rear brake line in the past year and that stuff looks descent. The frame is descent for the most part except for some bubbling up aronnd the bolts for the shock mounts, on the frame and rust on the frame by the back like you said. Looks like the rust belt got the best of her so far...especially with Detroit sitting on the biggest salt mine in the world and wayne county putting it down the stuff down so you can measure how much it "salted."

Ihatemybike, Good quote. For me, its not so much the time, but the money and time to do all the work...as an amatuer. Engine swap, if planned right could be a weekend job. Put a lot of research into that over the past couple years but none really into body except paint.

GEJ, I like your optimism, haha! I have spurts of that but more and more spurts of doubt. The rust spots on the frame can be easy since it doesnt have to be seen. About the doors, the front two are almost perfect. Back doors are going to need work...but at that I'd want to convert to dutch doors if i was removing the doors anyway.

I'm foreseeing the downtime and limited space linking to me needing another daily driver in the meantime....adding to the cost. Welcome guys, to this crazy damn debate in my head and for the input!
Van sold April 2009 -->

Image Image

Current Mods:

96astro
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by 96astro »

You could pick up a rust free astro down here for less then 1000.00. Search craigslist in the southern states.
Member: PeachState Vanners
SouthEast Van Council

SEVC
Vanning

s10-den

Post by s10-den »

Just depends on how much the van means to you.I live down here in Florida,if something around here has rust, you cant give it away.And plus if you dont cut out the metal and weld in new, the rust will ALWAYS come back.So , me personally,I would sell it.They are a dime a dozen down here almost.
94 Astro cargo EXT----Bought specifically to mod!!Will be tbi 350 v8 and new front end conversion
Done so many v8 s10's their old news

Topic author
safariobsession

I agree. I talked to my dad yesterday about it (still his vehicle) and talked over how much work it would be for us amatuer body-workers. We'd hate to get halfway into the cosmetic repair and find the structural stuff (frame, above windshield, etc.) is just too much to handle. We forsee it would be in the garage for a good year's of work and heartache.

I was cruisin craigslist the past couple days and found a 94 Safari XT SLT, loaded that was ziebarted and has minimal rust.

1994 SAFARI, XT, SLT, 4.3ltr. V6, 4spd auto, 2WD, 156,000 mi., RUNS EXELENT . PW, PL, PWR DRIVERS SEAT, PWR MIRRORS, FRONT AND REAR HEAT AND AIR, 7 PASS,6 SEATS RECLINE, TILT WHEEL, CRUISE, DIGITAL DASH, OVER HEAD STORAGE, LOTS OF STORAGE COMPARTMENTS, 3 DOOR REAR, REAR DEF., REAR WIPER, HITCH AND WIRING, AIR BAGS, ABS BRAKES,ROOF RACK(stock), FACTORY FOG LIGHTS ,zebarted and zebart black running boards,NICE WHEELS,..........NEW PARTS INCLUDE , TIRES (70,000 mi kelly nav. gold), exhaust, rear springs are steel replacements, JVC stero w/remote, 100w kennwoods in rear stock location..............THIS VAN IS VERY NICE IN AND OUT. EVERY THING WORKS INCLUDING THE AIR,.I BOUGHT IT OUT OF NEED NOW I HAVE WHAT I WANT AND CANT AFFORD TWO...NEEDS NOTHING. KBB is $2790 $ 1900 cash only please

Interior looks beautiful...Just the middle bench confuses me... Looks like it was originally setup for captains chairs but got a bench to fit instead.

It is a Z engine too...

"this is a michigan van so there is a little surface rust (very little) on each lower quarter in front of rear wheel not thru and one spot on lower right part of hatch ( 3 door rear ). floor and all door jambs are spotless also under side of doors are just as clean. a couple of vrey minor dings and scratches but its 14 y/o"

It hate to jump on one of the first couple i've looked into but i'm gonna go look at it today. Thoughts?
Van sold April 2009 -->

Image Image

Current Mods:

mattblackratbus

Post by mattblackratbus »

It looks nice and sounds like a good deal, dont rush in though. Go and have a look and with the knowledge that you now have of rust spots on your own van give it a right good going over, leave the rose coulored glasses at home and dont be affraid to walk away if its not for you....Johnny

Topic author
safariobsession

mattblackratbus wrote:It looks nice and sounds like a good deal, dont rush in though. Go and have a look and with the knowledge that you now have of rust spots on your own van give it a right good going over, leave the rose coulored glasses at home and dont be affraid to walk away if its not for you....Johnny
Exactly, I hate to bite at the first possible deal. I just got back from checking it out. 3rd owner. I didn't see any door dings but it was getting dark. Drove nice. Ran a little rough at first but it was raining and really humid...(plugs and wires). Pulled to the right when braking (sticking caliper - since it's been sitting for a month or so). As far as rust goes i only saw it where he mentioned... Bottom of hatch lip. Top of right back door. Carpet felt a little wet inside of the back. Rust below was a little worse than just surface rust in from of rear wheels. Through rust, probably from running boards being on there.

I hate to focus on the bad stuff and gotta realize i'm looking at 14 year old michigan winter vans. haha
Van sold April 2009 -->

Image Image

Current Mods:

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

safariobsession wrote:
"this is a michigan van so there is a little surface rust (very little) on each lower quarter in front of rear wheel not thru and one spot on lower right part of hatch ( 3 door rear ). floor and all door jambs are spotless also under side of doors are just as clean. a couple of vrey minor dings and scratches but its 14 y/o"

It hate to jump on one of the first couple i've looked into but i'm gonna go look at it today. Thoughts?
I swear that rust spot on the rear hatch on the lower right corner is always the first spot to rust on a dutch door van. Like it's a design flaw or something. My 98 has only 1 rust spot on it and guess where it is....... My 93 the first spot to go.....My GFs dads van it was the first spot to go..... Every van I see on the road (aside from maybe 1 or 2 ever) had that spot rusted..... It's freaken weird. The crappy part is you can't buy a new hatch or hatch skin....... I've tried ( So has my uncle the man who runs a parts store and can find me OEM parts for a hyundai stellar for crying out loud but not a hatch skin ](*,) )and just can't find em so it's a real PITA spot to repair if you don't get it as soon as the paint starts to bubble. If it rusts out you are dealing with alot difficult shaping and forming to get the weird curve just right.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Topic author
safariobsession

Pots, Yea i see what you mean...ive seen a lot like that with the rust spiot there on the hatch. Doesnt seem like much of a curve tro fit....im more worried abot the dog-leg area inf front of the rear wheels and getting metal to fit that. hmm...

forgive my bad spelling....just got back from celebrating a 21 st birthday! :cheers:
Van sold April 2009 -->

Image Image

Current Mods: