Unflip a flip kit!

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
Mr Singh
I finally get the smurf thing

Unflip a flip kit!

Post by Mr Singh »

Folks, I'm going to have to remove the flip kit on my 97' Astro.

With just 20% of the actual weight of stuff in the van its about 1" from the bumpstop bottoming out.

I have no history on this van, i bought it how i saw it.

Heres some pics of the rear suspension i took.

Not sure what that setup is.. anyone know?

OK, so to revert it to stock ride height (only on the rear), Can I flip the axle under the leafs? Remember I have no stock parts so not sure if i need anything from the original setup to do this.

Heres how's she sits with the winter wheels, the billets in my sig have been sent off to be refirbished and some run flat tyres mounted.

TIA :)
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

77bc
I am smitten with my van

Re: Unflip a flip kit!

Post by 77bc »

Before unflipping, I would try adjusting to the lowest set of holes in your shackles. By lowering the spring in them, it should give you a slight lift. I don't know how much is there, but I would estimate an inch to an inch and a half. That may be enough to do what you need.

Topic author
Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

I wondered that too..

Rear is stripped out, have put in around 800lbs of sound deadening and MDF in. So you can see how it sits in the pic above.

Still the following to go,

650lbs of Batterys
800lbs of Speakers
200lbs of Amps
+ another 1000lbs of MDF and Steel.

So 1 to 1.5" is probably going to fall short #-o

I have an Airlift kit to help but the stock ride height on the rear will help no end!

Thanks
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

violent b

Post by violent b »

hello Am,
It looks like a full air ride setup in the back is what you will need. with all that weight even if you went to stock height you'll have a dumpy rear end.

Bill
The Midget and Monkey madman!

Topic author
Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

Hi Bill, hows things?

I considered it but to be honest we've gone over budget on this build. The kitty is close to empty..

Full suspension will hurt i'm sure if i get it done here.. $5k best price supplied and fitted from some of the best in the UK
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

I agree with 77bc , drop your springs in the shakles to thier lowest point first to see how that works out for you .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

violent b

Post by violent b »

Mr Singh wrote:Hi Bill, hows things?

I considered it but to be honest we've gone over budget on this build. The kitty is close to empty..

Full suspension will hurt i'm sure if i get it done here.. $5k best price supplied and fitted from some of the best in the UK
haha, I've never worked on a project that was under or at budget, but that's how things go. $5K is a lot of loot especially if you don't have it available. maybe someone out there has another way of keeping the back end from sagging. maybe some kind of lift kit would have strong enough suspension parts to help the back end.

good luck either way and post up some pics.
The Midget and Monkey madman!

Topic author
Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

I have this already - http://www.jegs.com/i/Air%20Lift/022/59521/10002/-1

We'll weld the brackets instead of the self taping bolts they supply.

I'll try the shackles but i'd still prefer getting it back to stock height on the rear.. 8-[
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

dean89
I get chills without my van.

Post by dean89 »

You will need the stock clamshell bracket and bolts/u-bolts to flip the axle back over. For stock height you would need to take out the spacers on the front of the spring and reinstall the stock shackles in the rear. If you just put the axle part back to stock, you would end up with a couple inches of lift which might not be bad for your situation. Good luck getting the ride height squared away.
ImageImageImage
1989 Astro, 3" DJM drop, 5.7 tbi
1991 Chevrolet C1500 4.3 tbi 5spd 4-6" DJM drop (brother's truck)
1983 Chevrolet K20 350/4spd, 3.5" lift w/35's

Topic author
Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

dean89 wrote:You will need the stock clamshell bracket and bolts/u-bolts to flip the axle back over. For stock height you would need to take out the spacers on the front of the spring and reinstall the stock shackles in the rear. If you just put the axle part back to stock, you would end up with a couple inches of lift which might not be bad for your situation. Good luck getting the ride height squared away.
Good advice.

Anyone have these stock parts available?
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

Mr Singh wrote:
dean89 wrote:You will need the stock clamshell bracket and bolts/u-bolts to flip the axle back over. For stock height you would need to take out the spacers on the front of the spring and reinstall the stock shackles in the rear. If you just put the axle part back to stock, you would end up with a couple inches of lift which might not be bad for your situation. Good luck getting the ride height squared away.
Good advice.

Anyone have these stock parts available?
where do you live? i might be willing to trade you from my stock 99, i live in Mt. Hood Oregon, let me know.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

Topic author
Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

Thats the problem right there... I'm in the UK #-o
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

mattblackratbus

Post by mattblackratbus »

Hi, Mr Singh try a P.M to socalli v8 Darren and tell him i sent ya...Johnny

s10-den

Post by s10-den »

What in heck would shipping be?????
94 Astro cargo EXT----Bought specifically to mod!!Will be tbi 350 v8 and new front end conversion
Done so many v8 s10's their old news

Topic author
Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

Depends on the weight. I can ship upto 10kilos to the US for around $45

I guess it would be easier to ship to one of my suppliers in either Las Vegas or Ohio, then have them put it in one of my containers or pallets
1997 2WD Chevy Astro