Weeee! Hurricane Party

Non technical and off-topic discussion

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Weeee! Hurricane Party

Post by astrozam »

Good thing they had the Seawall,or it would have been 1900 all over again.Heres some interesting info on its construction...http://www.therealgalveston.com/Seawall.html

remark123
I get chills without my van.

Post by remark123 »

I will never understand those people that choose to stay in the path of a hurricane. After weathering out Katrina, 150 miles inland in Mississippi, I will never again weather a hurricane! If one is making tracks towards me, I will LEAVE! I have been through all sorts of storms on the open ocean, the Great Lakes, tornadoes in Missouri, snowstorms in the Midwest, Alaska, etc, but the one that I will always remember is the 1979 Fastnet race around England aboard a 90 foot racing sloop! 3 days of sheer hell, 70 foot waves, dismasted, and trailing everything from the stern that we could, (including sea anchors, anchor chains, drouges, even coils of line), and racing along at about 19 knots before the wind, trying to keep the boat from pitchpoling! 15 minute shifts at the wheel with 3 guys at a time! All of the time, wondering why I was standing on this little "raft" in the middle of the godforsaken ocean. When we finally made port, everyone on board marched to the nearest church and knelt down in gratitude! And of course, somebody had to get what remained of the boat back to Milwaukee...
I was crazier then, but I won't hesitate to pack up and leave if another hurricane and I cross paths again, too bad those dead souls in Galveston decided that it would be "fun" to try and ride it out on the deck... The good Lord might have mercy on their souls, but I'm afraid that I don't know if I would! :peep:
1991 Hartland EXT with Z motor. Only 190K miles on mostly original parts.

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

well, we made through ok.

no power or internet (i'm posting ffrom my phone)

van are all ok

I borrowed a generator.

wife rescued a.dog.

had to trim A bunch of trees back in the backyard. will need to repair two section of my fence.

that's all for now.
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

justice wrote:well, we made through ok.

van are all ok

I borrowed a generator.

wife rescued a.dog.

had to trim A bunch of trees back in the backyard. will need to repair two section of my fence.

that's all for now.
Hope things get better soon for you.Take care of yourself.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

justice wrote:well, we made through ok.

van are all ok

I borrowed a generator.

wife rescued a.dog.

that's all for now.
Great news Dow glad to hear you and the family are o.k,was there much flooding in your neighborhood? hope you get your juice back soon. :supz:

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

justice wrote:...no power or internet (i'm posting ffrom my phone)...
Now that's dedication! Glad to hear everyone made it through.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

Topic author
kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

There are convoys of power crews all over the place down here. It is unbelievable. they had 558,000 customers power restored by sunday night. The residents down here are taking sandwiches, water and iced tea to the guys. My office only took minor damage, the power was back up late yesterday. I was able to go to work this morning, good thing, payday was monday and my bank account is making the tub draining sucking sound. Power at my house came back on this afternoon. Only thing left for me is to get the roof and fence fixed.
We think my uncles place down on bolivar penninsula is gone. My grandfather built it back in '63. Many summers I spent there.
My dad's place down in Sargent survived, including the boat. That man must just be living right. Either that or he's just trying to get rid of his boat with no success. He pulled it out of the slings in the boathouse and parked it in the barn. I am just nonplussed.

Justice, where are you located? If you are keeping an eye on this yahoo, you must be close.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

i'm in Misson Bend, just north of Sugarland. I went into my office today to get internet access, I still have no power or internet at home.

No flooding in my area, thats one of the good things about the area is that we don't flood.
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Glad all of you guys are OK. I know what you are going through. Living in Florida for most of my life I've weathered a lot of hurricanes. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

So the family place down in Sargent and the boat survived. My cousins believe they saw their place on the bay side of Bolivar Peninsula in a news spot...amazing. the most amazing thing though I just saw on the news. A guy's house in Crystal Beach on the peninsula was smashed to splinters by the surge, he wound up clinging to debris for 14 hours in east bay to finally wash up on the beach at Smith's point. The poor guy had cuts and scrapes on every square inch of his body. Boy is he lucky to be alive. He said he was done living on the coast. I think a more cognitive thought would have been, I'm done not evacuating when they tell me to...
a map, Crystal beach is about dead center along the length of the peninsula, smith point is noted on the map:
http://encarta.msn.com/map_701522543/galveston_bay.html
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Loner62quiet
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by Loner62quiet »

Sold my house in Surfside in March had enough of the beach glad I did . Now live a little further inland and love it. We had some limbs down, but no damage at all I got out and came back on Sunday took my van had to leave the bike and my v8 Blazer.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I've been watching the news clips to see if the lighthouse on Bolivar survived. Anyone know? \:D/

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

Smiliesafari wrote:I've been watching the news clips to see if the lighthouse on Bolivar survived. Anyone know? \:D/
Ask and ye shall recieve Skip...http://www.crystalbeach.com/light.htm

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

The untold story is the number of people in Ohio that had damage and are still without power as well.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Thanks, Zam. Cherie and I have visited 70+ lighthouses all around the country. We were at the point Bolivar lighthouse last year. The Biloxi lighthouse also survived Hurricane Katrina. They're built tough.