Torquer 350 TBI build for Ole Yellar

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Torquer 350 TBI build for Ole Yellar

Post by GEJ »

SoCalli V8 wrote:Some good technical info here in this post.

I purposely kept my crappy V8`92 iron heads with the swirl intake ports, because after all my research they were designed for increased torque and better gas milage. I had them rebuilt with 2.02 and 1.95 valves, bronze guides, with a 3 angle valve job, then I ported every intake and exhaust tract identically, because I wanted the increased towing torque. Next I added the Edelbrock MPFI which woke up my whole engine and towing power, which now pulls like a steam train up steep grades while towing (5k boat) at 80+ mph past all the semi trucks

Torque is what gets your ass moving from a standstill, > and that is the "fun factor"
Calli:
I sure you know this already,but I did a search back to 2004 and didn't find a thread about your engine build.Likely loss in one of the crashes.Could you or would you post to this thread or one of your own about this subject.I have always felt you engine build is one of the kings of torque on this site with a added benefit of great gas mileage.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

What brings about this post is I am currently replacing the in tank fuel pump in the LT.I took the gas tank out of the donor van for Ole Yellar because it has a fuel pump in it for a TBI and Ole Yellar is a carbed engine.Question is there a high perforance in tank fuel pump??Any comments or suggestions??.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Going to pick up the sub frame,engine,trans,and asso parts tomorrow with the 12' trailer now that the LT is running again.Dropping off the engine at Drakes machine to have it checked out.Going to strip the sub frame over the next few days and decide if I want to power coat it.It's going to get sand blasted either way.Pics to follow.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

keep the updates coming gary .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Rockwerx »

Are you going to powder coat the frame? That would be sweet. Are you trying to out do Vance? lol Good luck with your swap Gary!
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Rockwerx wrote:Are you going to powder coat the frame? That would be sweet. Are you trying to out do Vance? lol Good luck with your swap Gary!
Really-got to build the lift spacers first and weld them to the sub frame.Then to the sand blaster's.Ever try to weld after sand blasting what you are welding??.Not a fun day.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

GEJ wrote:
SoCalli V8 wrote:Some good technical info here in this post.

I purposely kept my crappy V8`92 iron heads with the swirl intake ports, because after all my research they were designed for increased torque and better gas milage. I had them rebuilt with 2.02 and 1.95 valves, bronze guides, with a 3 angle valve job, then I ported every intake and exhaust tract identically, because I wanted the increased towing torque. Next I added the Edelbrock MPFI which woke up my whole engine and towing power, which now pulls like a steam train up steep grades while towing (5k boat) at 80+ mph past all the semi trucks

Torque is what gets your ass moving from a standstill, > and that is the "fun factor"
Calli:
I sure you know this already,but I did a search back to 2004 and didn't find a thread about your engine build.Likely loss in one of the crashes.Could you or would you post to this thread or one of your own about this subject.I have always felt you engine build is one of the kings of torque on this site with a added benefit of great gas mileage.
Yeah, I`m kinda pi$$ed Off that all my technical motor build up posts were butchured and then lost, from the old site...... Maybe I will repost it when I have time....
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Sadly I pulled the dist and didn't see roller lifters or should I say the retainers for roller lifters.Question is how much for the conversion??.

Here is the pics of today's progress.

For a old timer like me all those wires "could be" scarely. :yikes:Damm-somewhere under all that crap is a TBI 350. #-o Well one wire at a time.Got to test each lead anyways to figure out why the data port wouldn't link up with the computer,so I will be labeling them.
Last edited by GEJ on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

After removing all the wiring and front drive this is the result:

This is the sub frame I will be using after I strip it down,build 3" spacers for a lift,sand blast it and decide what I want to do.(just paint it or power coat it)Certainly I will be renewing the total front end with all moog parts.You see the broken swap bar link?.Well I am going to replace the sway bar with a after market and heavy duty links too.

This is my buddy John who owns the shop that helped drop the sub frame and let me use space to pull the engine and tranny from the sub frame.

I thought it was a good day

wrenching. :bounce: :bounce:
Last edited by GEJ on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Gary, its good to see you are wrenchin on the van, however for the sake of all the old half blind geezers on this forum,could you make the pics a little bigger so I ( I mean THEY ) can see what it is your doing, 640x480 would be good :supz:

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

I editted the pics to the correct size.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Topic author
GEJ

Roller SBC

Post by GEJ »

Which is cheaper?.Having the machine work done to convert a non-roller (1995) 5.7 to a roller block or buying a bare block that is a roller.I would use all the componets from the non-roller block on a bare block and finsh machine to them.I am kind of commited to the roller thing.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

NotDadsW41
I sleep in my van

Re: Roller SBC

Post by NotDadsW41 »

Gary,

It's my understanding that every block from 87 on was roller capable, even the truck blocks. They just didn't put the roller cam in place. The keeper for the roller lifter just mounts into the bottom of the intake valley. All the other needed machining was done....

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
CD_S
1991 W41
1995 Astro - Now gone, I am Astroless.
1997 C1500
1989 9C1 Caprice
1997 Bonneville
1998 Olds 88 LS
http://forums.b-body.org - newly updated!

astro355
I get chills without my van.

Post by astro355 »

NotDadsW41 wrote:Gary,

It's my understanding that every block from 87 on was roller capable, even the truck blocks. They just didn't put the roller cam in place. The keeper for the roller lifter just mounts into the bottom of the intake valley. All the other needed machining was done....

That's sounds right to me.
Not a member of the good ole boys.

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Rockwerx »

NotDadsW41 wrote:Gary,

This is what I thought also. Most blocks were machined but the odd block has the bosses for a roller cam setup but was not machined.

What is the casting number of your block Gary? I thought that you had an 808 block? Last time I priced out the difference it was around 300 bucks more for the roller hardware on a non roller block. If you get deals on parts (which by the sounds of it you have lots of good parts connections) then you should be able shave the cost down. Lots of great deals for parts on Ebay. Good luck with your buildup Gary!
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts