Surface rust (pitted) on roof

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
kc5gxl
I get chills without my van.

Surface rust (pitted) on roof

Post by kc5gxl »

Hello all;

I am doing a bit of body work on my 91 safari, along with an engine swap. Most of the body work is just minor dents, etc. However, the major thing I am trying to figure out is what to do about rust on the roof that has become pitted. Sanding it down is a lot of work, and quite frankly, I think it would make the metal pretty thin in some places. There is no rust holes, just rust that has happened through years of neglect and paint fading and peeling.

My questions are. What do I do about it, other than putting on a new roof? Is there a wonder paint like rustoleum that will keep the rust from spreading? Do I need to sand it, sand it, and sand it some more? I don't have access to a bead blaster at the moment, but is that even a desired thing to do?

Anyway, thank you in advance for any and all info about what to do here.

Drive safely,

Dan Harriman 91 safari shorty
Orange, Texas
If at first you don't succeed, maybe you shouldn't try sky diving!

astronut74
I sleep in my van

Re: Surface rust (pitted) on roof

Post by astronut74 »

Can't help you with the answers, but I'm glad you asked, 'cause I'm the same boat and would really like to know as well.
I like the idea of a sand blaster (just because it's fast) but I'd be worried that the sand would be especially hard to get out of the body seams.
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Dan,,go by one of your local body shops or paint shops and they'll help you with the latest on the market. Over the years I've used a wire brush to try and get as much out of the pits as possible, clean real well with Prep-All which is a cleaner that removes any dust and chemical build up. After cleaning I spray several coats of rust converter on the area that has rust. The converter changes the composition of the rust to a hard black paintable surface. You can also fill pitted areas after spraying the converter, not before or you'll have rust bubbles on the paint after a few years.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

Dan,it is no secret my favorite company for all body work and products for the same is Eastwood.They have a step program for rust prevention that just works.They have a forum too to ask questions and get answers about which product to use and if it worked from customers who have used their stuff.

http://www.eastwood.com

Here is some of their rust products:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?item ... e=CATEGORY
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

At your local auto paint store ask for POR 15. After a small amount of sanding to get the scaley rust off you can put the POR 15 right over what's left. The stuff is great. It incapsulates the rust and stops it forever. It also leaves a finished paintable surface. The professional restorers have been using this for years. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

astro355
I get chills without my van.

Post by astro355 »

Smiliesafari wrote:At your local auto paint store ask for POR 15. After a small amount of sanding to get the scaley rust off you can put the POR 15 right over what's left. The stuff is great. It incapsulates the rust and stops it forever. It also leaves a finished paintable surface. The professional restorers have been using this for years. \:D/
POR 15 ftw!
Not a member of the good ole boys.

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

Agreed, I used POR 15 to treat the rust in my windshield channel a few years ago. I glued the windshield right on top of the POR 15. Still no leaks and no signs of any more rust.
por15.com
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

I don't know about the POR 15, but some of the rust converters are acidic and will turn rubber gaskets to mush if oversprayed on them. I learned this the hard way, fortunate it was only the gasket on the air filter housing lid.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....