Greetings from Idaho

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
scotter
I am merely driving my van

Greetings from Idaho

Post by scotter »

Hello, I'm new here (obviously) I have an '88 Astro CL. It's been the family cruiser for a while and has anumber of issues. I plan on fixxing it up for use as my daily driver. I currently have a Jag that will be going away soon, I just cant keep up with it. Anyways the van will soon be getting a '91 5.7 engine and the tranny is new I have only put about 2000 miles on it since I put it in, and it has a shift kit upgraded plaetaries, yada yada ....

I was doing a little research for the swap and found this site, hope you can help me out with your experiance.

skippy
I sleep in my van

Re: Greetings from Idaho

Post by skippy »

Welcome to ASV , & most defenatly we can you . there are alot of great people here willing to help you out with any questions you might have .

just be forewarned , this site & these vans , will keep draining your wallet with all the possible upgrades & goodies you'll want to add to your ride . :muhaha: :muhaha:
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Welcome to the site. You be in the right place. Many good folks here with alot of information to share.
Good luck on the swap and be sure to post pics of the project.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Welcome, Scotter. Always good to have another Astro owner find us here.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Topic author
scotter

Post by scotter »

Thanks guys, I see you have an IRS in your van Rebel, I am thinking of doing the same thing with the rear end from my JAG. I may even swap out the front suspension / steering. Right now My main concern is getting the piece of crap 4.3 with the jacked up front bracket out of the van and the 5.7 in. I will also likely take on some body mods down the road, I hate the slider and may wind up building a set of barn doors for it instead.... but like I said right now I just want to get it back on the road

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

The Jag rear may be an easier swap than the Vette because of the full cage the IRS sits in. May be just a matter of cage to frame rail attachment that would be the main obsticle to work out. Also, if I remember correctly some of my old streetrod buddies who had Jag rears mentioned alot of the parts are early Ford which might save some bucks.
I hope ya go for it, would be another first for sure not to mention how that would look with those halfshafts turning going down the road.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
scotter

Post by scotter »

Yah, the Jag is a nice self contained unit and the diff is basically a danna 44 so there are alot of inexpensive mods for it. I was going to save it for my hotrod but think it may wind up in the van, I'm burried in parts for to many projects right now and need to put some of them to use ASAP. I'm in the middle of a magor addition to my home and have just lost my offsite workshop so I'm burried in building materials and car parts.

mattblackratbus
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by mattblackratbus »

Welcome Scotter, great site here with great people. Funny you should talk about that jag irs, i was looking on ebay tonight (i'm in the UK, so not sure what time it is for you?) and thinking that could be quite an easy mod, as you've got the parts i think you should go for it...Johnny