96' 383 build

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

mattblackratbus
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: 96' 383 build

Post by mattblackratbus »

Little bit of dirt never hurt :supz:

nitropyro

Post by nitropyro »

hey everyone we are working hard on vances van and we are taking a break to watch ohio state foosball. here is an idea i had for his a/c system but will be getting cancelled.
there is a flim i can not get off and doesnt polish well so im gonna satin black it for him. i will polish some of the lines for him to dress up the engine bay will try to have pics up tomorrow.
Danny
Danny im 21 year old with an 89 astro bbc 9in bagged 20's & 18's

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

I would be interested to see a pic of your buffer/ polisher. What kind of compound are you using?
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

nitropyro

Post by nitropyro »

i will get all the info for you tomorrow darrin im beat from working on vances van.
Danny

nitropyro

Post by nitropyro »

okay darren i start with a bench grinder if need then use 80 grit 120 grit 240 grit 320 grit 600 grit 800 grit 1200 grit 1500 grit 2000 grit. after that i go with the wenol polish on the bench grinder or dremal tool for small areas followed by eagal one billet polish by hand with a micro fiber towel. here some pics along the way to polished bolt.
all the supplies
start
240 grit
600 grit
2000 grit
polished with both compounds
edit: just relised how crappy those pics are will try to get better ones off finished product.
note to self: for any one wanting to do this for all the stuff in my build ive now went through 2 dremals they will over heat and die lol

ps vance i need your dremal to finsh your a/c line.
and i got all your bolts polished now

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

Your Dremel might not be toast. Mine shut off once after hours and hours of use, and heat. Turns out all it needed was a new switch. The part was available from the Dremel company, and it was easy to replace. Now my Dremel is back in action!

Nice polishing, by the way!
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

MAN, all that to polish a bolt and you guys weren't even going to paint the rusty sub frame. Semi amazing what.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

nitropyro

Post by nitropyro »

6spd-monte- thanks for the tip i will have to try that one the next one.
HPbyStan-believe me i harrassed him for awhile lol but it looks good now.
everyone- vance is a slacker he was suppossed to have pics up but i will spill the news since he hasnt we have it mostly put together and we had crank with one cyl. trying to start. looked it over and relised the new computer has passlock system thats stopping the injectors from running. so he has to figure out how to get around that. but we have heard it try to start!!!!!!
Danny

mikedamech

Post by mikedamech »

Baker Electronics sells a 3 wire module for 35.00, I used it and it worked perfectly.
98 Astro with a 95 LT1
94 Astro stock w/Flo master.

nitropyro

Post by nitropyro »

Vance i have that brand new gm wiper board here for you too. found it in the closet
Danny

nitropyro

Post by nitropyro »

well since vance is keeping everyone updated we fought getting this motor to start all week. we stayed up late last sunday hes fought it all week. so last night we started with checking his wiring thinking maybe it got mest up......nope its good. fuel pressure good. so we get on my dads gm site get the flow chart for crank no start everything checks out good. so then it refers you to checking the motors compression we didnt have the gauge with us so we checked another link. and its ask a few vavlues off the scan tool. at this time the iac was nosiy we switched it...still nothing then we look at the new computer link and it mentions the map sensor screw it we dont have a hand pump to check it we took his old one from the v6 BAM MOTOR IS STARTED!!!!!!! lol everythings sounds amazing but we have a small oil leak we have to fix. he has work today and we are going to the ohio state game tonight against penn state. so either late tonight or first thing tomorrow we will be breaking in the motor.
Danny

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Yeah, baby! =D> =D>
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

T prop
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by T prop »

Hello, new guy here.

I was at work today and I had nothing to do so I was surfing the net and ran across this site. This thread interested me because several years ago I did this swap on a friends Astro van. It was similar to what's happening in this thread, I rebuilt a small block for him and installed it. It ran great for years and was a fun to drive project.

What prompted me to register and post was this picture from page 1:

I noticed that the pistons are installed upside down, the eyebrows on the pistons should be towards the intake side of the engine. Was this corrected before the engine was finally assembled?

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

okay darren i start with a bench grinder if need then use 80 grit 120 grit 240 grit 320 grit 600 grit 800 grit 1200 grit 1500 grit 2000 grit. after that i go with the wenol polish on the bench grinder or dremal tool for small areas followed by eagal one billet polish by hand with a micro fiber towel. here some pics along the way to polished bolt.
all the supplies
The buffing thing can be a nightmare. Years ago while attending college in Pensacola, I worked at a chrome shop. My first job was buffing. I didn't know what I was getting in to. My intensions were making some bucks on the side and also do some chroming on a Vetter rear I was installing in a 29 Ford sedan. Anyway,,back to what I was going to say. You guys learned alot about buffing and polishing but wanted to share a little trivia that will speed up the process by eliminating about half of those different grits you went through. One is, a bench grinder cannot produce enough RPM's and torque that is required to grind and polish metal. Of course it can be done but as you guys know,,takes severall lifetimes to accomplish the results you're looking for. For instance, the dryer you polished, if on a high speed buffer and several layers of cloth wheels which would have about a 3in. wide surface could be polished out in about an hour or less. This doesn't include and grinding that may be needed to take out any deep imperfections. The other thing that will speed up the process is each time you go to a smoother grit, make sure you go across the opposite direction on the grit before. In other words, you'll be Xing each previous grit out. Check how the piece is shaped, how do you want the last grit direction to be going which will allow the easiest handling to polish on the cloth wheel. You'll be going the opposite direction with the buffer of your last grit used. Aluminum as you know is very soft and if a high speed buffer is left in one area for an extended period of time the aluminum rouge can make what look like waves in the metal and you can also catch your cloth buffer wheels on fire. Been along time ago but if I remember correctly, a metal buffer should run around 3000 RPMS, maybe even higher and with a 3in to 4in wide cloth surface, it's almost impossible to push the piece you're polishing in so hard you collaps the cloth wheel. You've got to be able to push pretty hard against those cloth wheels while polishing. This will speed up the rouge cutting to accomplish a polished surface.
Good luck on the project and hoped this helps out on the nexting grinding and polishing adventure. I don't miss that job at all.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

T prop wrote:Hello, new guy here.

I was at work today and I had nothing to do so I was surfing the net and ran across this site. This thread interested me because several years ago I did this swap on a friends Astro van. It was similar to what's happening in this thread, I rebuilt a small block for him and installed it. It ran great for years and was a fun to drive project.

What prompted me to register and post was this picture from page 1:

I noticed that the pistons are installed upside down, the eyebrows on the pistons should be towards the intake side of the engine. Was this corrected before the engine was finally assembled?

Wow, good eye, I missed that one.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....