major headache

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: major headache

Post by GEJ »

I'm sorry.I didn't say that right.I meant find a rotted out pick-up for $350 with a good running 305 and tranny and swap both in to get the benefit of a V8 tranny.Scrap the rest and get back some of the money towards the swap.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Topic author
liftedwhiteastro
I am merely driving my van

Post by liftedwhiteastro »

A v-8 would be nice, but when this v-6 was running, it had plenty of power for what i need. I've had this van in places it didnt belong, and I made it home everytime. I think with a new set of rings, bearings and gaskets, ill be good.

Topic author
liftedwhiteastro

Well, good news, the cylinder is fine, the rings are fine, bearings are in good shape, the screw never got out of the combustion chamber,scored up the top of the piston a little, but no sever damage. Im going to clean it all up good, hone the cylinders, put new gaskets in it, and throw it back in.

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

cool , call if you need help . :supz:
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

That is great news Dennis! :supz:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
liftedwhiteastro

After a little cleaning and closer inspection, i have to put main bearings in it, and change piston #5. The top ring is melted to the piston, but, on the brighterside, that ring saved the lower end from major damage. Cam is fine, cam bearings, from what I can tell are good. Crank journals are all in good shape. Ill keep you posted on progress. I know you all like pics, but Im sure most of you have pulled and installed a v-6, so you know what it looks like. :D

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

Your killing me here! That was such a nice engine when I put it in.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

mattblackratbus
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by mattblackratbus »

do you know where the screw came from, maybe good for others to check if its likely to happen on other 4.3 v6 engines...Johnny

Topic author
liftedwhiteastro

Sorry bill, but look on the brighter side, the junkyard tranny we put in is still workin.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

mattblackratbus wrote:do you know where the screw came from, maybe good for others to check if its likely to happen on other 4.3 v6 engines...Johnny
loose screw!?? :yikes: I had the same thought. Skip responded on the previous page.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
liftedwhiteastro

I honestly have no idea how the screw got in there, it had to go through the head, when I changed the intake gaskets. Thats the only time, other than after the knock, that I had the valve covers off. Btw, bill, Im sorry, I didnt mean to hurt your baby, but you really need to let go. :yikes: HAHAHA!

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

liftedwhiteastro wrote:I honestly have no idea how the screw got in there, it had to go through the head, when I changed the intake gaskets. Thats the only time, other than after the knock, that I had the valve covers off. Btw, bill, Im sorry, I didnt mean to hurt your baby, but you really need to let go. :yikes: HAHAHA!

Well a late night thrash with things not going well can end up doing it to you.I am very suprized to hear a melted ring didn't score up that hole.Wow!!.Now that is some Fisher luck working.Just take your time putting it back together.Might want to consider if it gets late or your trying to get that last thing done,putting down the tools for the next day.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

mattblackratbus
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by mattblackratbus »

[/quote]loose screw!?? :yikes: I had the same thought. Skip responded on the previous page.[/quote]

i should pay more attention....lol...Johnny

Topic author
liftedwhiteastro

Well, it looks like Im using skippys short block. Due to the fact that its a remaned motor, and its .040 over. ill put my valve train on it. Should be done this weekend. Keep you posted.

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

we're putting it all back together & got the starter bolted up but we hear a grinding noise when the starter engages , i think the flywheel is in backwards ... should the weights on a flywheel be facing the motor or the torque converter ????? if it is in backwards would this cause the starter to not be able to engage all the way to be able to start the van ???? we have the other one here & the teeth look to be offset to one side of the plate more than the other but it really doesn't look like it would make that much of a difference , am i wrong ??
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.