Shaved Dutch Door Hinges

Post photos, video of your van

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Shaved Dutch Door Hinges

Post by GEJ »

Yeah,
When I welded the back haft Don Hardy in my Monza which connects the front to the back and jets through the floor pan,we welded alittle in one spot and then welded alittle somewhere else letting each one kool before we welded there again.Good move making the cut to releave the metal.Like you did,alittle bondo and no one would every know. :prayer: :prayer:
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

sunset77
I get chills without my van.

Post by sunset77 »

Looks like you are making good progress on the doors. I had the same problem with the metal when we did my back doors.The other problem when you weld them shut is getting the curve back in them. Most people think they are flat but they are not so what we did was made a jig that was the right shape and worked the curve back in the doors.

Topic author
SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Exactly they are curved, which adds to the amount of work to make them look perfect.

This evening I made up some tiny plates to fill in an ugly dip just below where the upper door latch mounts, just to smooth out the contours and make it more pleasing to the eye. Gonna be working on them again all this weekend, even though my gf#2 is flying in from Dallas (she`s an airline stewardess) she will just sleep and sunbathe anyway..... very low maintenence chick.

Stay tuned for updates.....

`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Keep posting those pics Darren. You're going to have one smooth :butthead:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

If I ever manage to win the Texas Lotto, I'm traveling the country to get you guys to teach me how to do this stuff. Man I wish i could do that. Keep the pics coming. =D> =D> =D>
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

nitropyro
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by nitropyro »

looking good. btw now you have to do the whole body line lol.
Danny
Danny im 21 year old with an 89 astro bbc 9in bagged 20's & 18's

mattblackratbus
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by mattblackratbus »

I think they have been done already Danny, post some updated pics Darren....Johnny

P.S nice work by the way :supz:

Topic author
SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Yep, the rear doors were the last to have the lower bodyline shaved, the gullwing slider and and all the rest of the panels have already been done.

I worked on it most of the weekend and Mon Tue after work, but I am just block sanding bondo and glaze putty, no new pictures because you can only feel the difference after 10+ hours of work, rather than see it in a picture. When I start spraying sealer and some high build primer I`ll take some more....
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

i want to get rid of that body line too but i wasn't thining of doing it that way good show, hmmmm maybe i should come vist cali......
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Topic author
SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

You don`t have to come to Cali, just take that plane fare and buy yourself a 135 series mig welder and some old body panels and get practising.... it`s fun making and modifying stuff.

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

plane fare eh...? i would drive it down there pick up a new part while i was down there and ask you to work on my van :cheers:

i'm actually looking to pick up a welder/generator for my christmas present :supz:
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Handn't seen some of those body line fillers you did Darren. Lookin good man. Nice job. When ya get that primer sprayed,,back up from the back left and right corners and take a few pics,,will ya ?
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

Topic author
SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

An update from this weekend. I fixed the left door panel (that I distorted with the heat) 100%, and it now looks and feels perfect before I lay down a thin skim of bondo to make it completely flat.

Added some green spot putty to take out the sanding scratch marks, and block sanded smooth.

Not really interesting pictures, because this stuff is soo time consuming....

I took extra care when welding the doors together to keep everything as flat as possible. so I have hardly had to add any bondo, just a light skim here and there. It will look much better after I have hit it with a couple of coats of white primer, hopefully this week.

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

You go boy,,watching from the 96 real close. Lookin good Darren. That is going to be slick. You'll have all the ladies watching your :butthead: :muhaha:

VIDEO

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

Wow, I respect a guy who uses as much metal as possible and as little filler as he can.
I can build a big block with my eyes closed but this guy is on a whole nother level.
Nice work man.
Peter