96 4l60e front pump removal

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: 96 4l60e front pump removal

Post by kings-x59 »

lose much fluid out of the torque converter when you pulled it?
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

astro355
I get chills without my van.

Post by astro355 »

SSAstro wrote:im on my way to a trans shop now to have them press it in for me
I guess I didn't understand what you meant when you said that.
Not a member of the good ole boys.

astro355
I get chills without my van.

Post by astro355 »

kings-x59 wrote:lose much fluid out of the torque converter when you pulled it?
Actually, I assumed that he checked the fluid level after the engine warmed up. Yes, please check the fluid level.
Not a member of the good ole boys.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Nah, what I was getting to is that the torque converter needs a minimum of a quart of transmission fluid in it when it's reinstalled. Otherwise you get nada when you fire it up.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
SSAstro
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by SSAstro »

SSAstro wrote:ok opening this back up again the trans will free spin in neutral, first and second but nothing after withe it on the ground and in neutral or any of the drive gears i can't even move the van by pushing it its like its stuck in park what could i have done wrong when putting the pump back in i can't even spin the rear wheels with it in neutral please help me i could use it right now i don't have the money to replace the trans again
this should answer that question about the fluid i cant even turn the driveshaft by hand with the van not running and in neutral and the reason why i thought it had to be pressed in was thats what i was told by a local tranny shop here when i got there he tells me he wasn't going to touch and to remove the bell housing so yes there is plenty of fluid and i put 3 qts in the converter after draining it of the old fluid