I built my own spare tire mount

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
original_balzer
I get chills without my van.

I built my own spare tire mount

Post by original_balzer »

Its made of 1" round tube a few pieces of angle and some flat stock.
Its going on the driver side barn door. The left side takes up most of the space between the hinges about 12.5" then the right side is about 5" tall.
Its built flat and has a piece of angle iron to space it away from the door. Eh enough trying to explain it i drew a crude pic in MS paint then stole the blueprint pic from another thread. I would have taken real pics but it still isnt finished and I didnt have my camera today. I will get pics once it is installed.

I also added a small tab on the driver side for a future CB antana mount.
OK question. This is simular to other I have seen does anyone have one like it and if so did you put any kind of rubber or anything between the mount and your paint? Also on the right side how much of a backing plate should I use? I was thinking 2"x6" plate that would be 1/2"bigger than the outside mount all the way around.

Later I think I will build a off road style roof rack, possibly some side bars (rock sliders) to protect the rocker pannels. Who knows what all I will build, I just like to make stuff myself.

Topic author
original_balzer

Re: I built my own spare tire mount

Well I was proud of myself HAHA

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Looks like it should be ok, but alot depends on the size of the tire you'll be mounting. Also, if you are into hard-core off-roading then you may need to "build up" that mount a bit.
Looking forward to seeing pics! :supz:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

i intend to do mine this weekend since i now have all the parts
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

peter wrote:Looks like it should be ok, but alot depends on the size of the tire you'll be mounting. Also, if you are into hard-core off-roading then you may need to "build up" that mount a bit.
Looking forward to seeing pics! :supz:

I was gonna ask, (and still am, I guess) if I've got 30" full size spare and do a lot of gravel and wash board roads and off roading, will it hold up? Keep in mind, I've got the dutch doors, not the full on barn doors. The dutchies are so much lighter than the barnies.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

It's not the weight of the door, it's the weight of the wheel hanging off the door. That sheet metal isn't very thick and added bracing may be needed to keep it from bending.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

deja vu
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

GnarliSafari wrote:deja vu

Hmm. Seems to me I've read that before.
ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
original_balzer

It should be strong enough for what I do. In the future I may go to a 30x9.50 tire. I also thought on the inside of the door I might add an extra support that goes from the backing plate to the bottom of the door. The damn wind has been blowing so I havent got it finished or installed yet. Im also still wonderting about some sort of rubber or something between the mount and the door.

Lastly I was looking and it seams the tail light may need to be shaved down on the door edge to clear the mount. When the door swings open it only clears the tail light by a fraction just by itself. Possibley I can fix that with small washers on the screws that mount the tail light.

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

like to mount mine on the roof on the luggage rack, but would want to make sure its secure.... would hate to slam on the brakes (even with anti lock) and see it sailing past the windshield.....

have the barn doors on the 94 astro, back door would be fine, but with the Dutch doors on the 96 Safari....... you can't open the bottom doors unless you open the hatch first, and I think a tire mounted to the bottom door, might be a problem.... (unless it was hinged and it swung out of the way...?)

I have a nice chrome hand rail from an rv, that would be nice near the top of the hatch to give you something to hold onto when standing on rear bumper to get the spare....
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Any reason why under the van isn't good for you? Most of the rear mount guys are running large off road tires. Roof mount would increase drag and slightly lower your MPGs. I'm still running mine under my vans, though Grumpy may eventually be rear mount.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

just seems a stupid spot to put your EMERGENCY spare, hanging on a cable, out of sight and mind (as far as checking tire pressure) exposed to the environment.

it would be a shame to need it and find nothing more than a rusty broken cable there, or get a call from the police when some catches your plate number, when it comes loose and flies threw someones windshield.

Lost one off a caravan and dont know when I lost it, hope no one was hurt..... (errr, no I mean I heard of a friend that it happened too, no it was a friend of a friend, just a rummor....yeah, that's the ticket)

It makes no sense to me that some engineer thought it would be better to suspend it under the care rather than having a spot stamped into the rear compartment like older cars had, with an easy access panel on the inside.

Engineers should have to buy, own and maintain anything that has components that they helped design, would serve them right....
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

knucklehead
I am smitten with my van

Post by knucklehead »

any finished product pics or did u scrap the idea by now?

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Hellooooooooooo...any pics out there.....?
ImageImageImageImage

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Here here! :supz:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson