Blazer frame swop? (anyone done it)

Topic author
astroshepawd
I am smitten with my van

Blazer frame swop? (anyone done it)

Post by astroshepawd »

Not sure this is the right topic to post this in, but what the heck it is 4x4.

Has anyone, or does anyone know of an Astro body being grafted onto a full size Blazer/Tahoe/Yukon frame? ie all Blazer running gear, Astro body.
The reason I ask is that I note the later model (early 90's) w/b is only 1/2" different from the Astro's. Is this a viable project, or a dead duck?
Shep
'98' AWD 4" lift and very basic (it has to work for a living).

mattblackratbus
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Blazer frame swop? (anyone done it)

Post by mattblackratbus »

Sounds like a good project man, i aint got no answers but some one will be along soon, good luck....Johnny

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Anything's possible, right?! It would be interesting to set an Astro/Safari body (minus front subframe) down on top of a stripped frame and see what it looked like. Who knows, it might be a better fit than I think.

But, given that several have done solid axle swaps, one with front coils, I truly believe this is the best way to go. Basically, the engine, transmission, transfercase and rearend can all be stock, so all that needs to be addressed is adding a front axle and driveshaft, and then figure out the steering and hook up the brakes. It isn't a bolt-in, but it seems like it would require less work in the long run.

The fact nobody on here has swapped an Astro/Safari body onto any other frame may be a clue too.

But hey, if you have an opportunity, we'd all sure like to see what you come up with!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

There was one for sale on ebay I think it was that was an Astro body on a blazer frame. Looked kinda odd tho because you could see the frame under the van like a sore thumb but neat none the less.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

BULLDOZER
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by BULLDOZER »

I have put a lot of thought into this, I have a dead astro (motor) and a killer blazer with awesome running gear... but a badly rusted body. My major concern, is how in the heck am I going to get the astro body on top of the blazer frame.

As for steering, my thinking is I don't even want to mess with the steering linkages, I would go with a PCS full hydro system.

(this is from my first post... it may be better here...)

I have a problem, my beloved astro threw a rod, so the motor is no longer with us. I have a few options, one is I have to swap in a motor/tranny that I have available, the other is swapping the complete running rear.

The first option I have is to swap in a V8... but not a chevy v8, a strong dodge 360 with a 727... I have it just sitting there from a old project and seems like the best option. I have all the skills (welding,etc) to pull this off, so I'm kind of leaning towards this option.

The second option I have and one I would really like to do is swap in a 4x4 frame. I have a 84 blazer with a very rusty body but killer running gear, a 454/ sm465/205 transfer case with dana 60 axles, 6 in lift with 42 inch swampers... man, that would be one awesome astro. But my big problem with that... how the heck do I swap the body? The only thing I have for heavy lifting is a engine hoist, but I have the welding ability to build platforms for the body to sit on while I do the frame swap, also I suppose I would have to take off the tires and springs and rebuild the suspension once I swapped the astro onto the frame. Any ideas how to do a body swap with the tools I have?

Thanks for any info or ideas.
BIG PLANS... little money

Topic author
astroshepawd
I am smitten with my van

Post by astroshepawd »

Well here is what got me thinking about this:
http://rides.4wheeloffroad.com/ride/101 ... index.html
I just thought that maybe this had been done before.....like more than once.
My situation is that with the ever increasing fuel prices over here and to get better economy (running on biodiesel), find a diesel Blazer with the correct w/b (early 90's) and swop out. This may or may not be just as easy as transfering the engine and box, at least leaving everything within the Blazer frame, you know its correct.
I shall ponder some more.Thanks for the reply's,
Shep

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

I think you would be WAY ahead by swapping a diesel engine into the Astro. I'm not sure what all (diesel) engines you could choose from, but I'm sure your selections are better than ours. Ideally, find a vehicle with a similar weight and layout and go from there. The biggest issue is going to be keeping the AWD or converting to 4wd. If you can adapt the engine to the Astro's transmission, then it won't be a problem. If you have to swap transmissions, then the issue will be at the T-case. Maybe there is a complete combination that would give you a matched engine/transmission and T-case, meaning you only need to address the driveshafts...

While nobody has done it, a 6.2L GM diesel swap seems like it would be the most straightforward. With a subframe lift, either with bolt in pucks or custom welded spacers, I imagine the 6.2L will fit. Another seemingly good choice would be the Cummins 4BT if you can find one with the proper GM transmission adaptor.

Personally, I'd like to see you do the diesel swap... and document it here! We've all been waiting for someone to do it!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

have you started by simply checking if the wheel base is even remotely similar on the blazer to the astro? that alone could make it a tricky project. not to say it couldnt be done, but it would require a lot of fabbing. to give you some positive encouragement though i have a friend who works for Smith Optics and his company vehicle is a 98 lincoln towncar limo which sits upon a stretched 03 F350 frame with front and rear Dana 60's and a diesel powerplant, i dont know the exact wheel size but they are at least 30's probably larger. it is quite the attention getter and pretty labor intensive but everything works like it should somehow.
Attachments
l_2761dfa1fc6912bf9d4024b20ee21a21.jpg
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

jakepatch
I get chills without my van.

Post by jakepatch »

Hope to be vannin' again someday........

TheChopFather
Retired
Retired

Post by TheChopFather »

I say just do it!
ISN'T HE SO SEXY IN HIS PRETTY WHITE DRESS???LOL

Topic author
astroshepawd
I am smitten with my van

Post by astroshepawd »

Thanks guy's, well one way or the other (frame swop or just engine) this IS going to happen. I shall get the said Blazer/Yukon/Tahoe and weigh up the options. There are a few over here which are old enough to be road test failures for whatever reason and come up for sale, mainly on E-Bay at sensible money.
Watch this space.............or more accurately a post entitled "Diesel swop accomplished."
Shep

SAS H3T
I am smitten with my van

Post by SAS H3T »

The reason I went with the Astro Subframe and a custom rear subframe was engine placement in the truck vs. the engine placement in the van.... And to eliminate cutting out the rear floor or having that huge gap you see in the previously pictured Astro atop a Blazer frame.
Want a diesel? Swap in a 3.9L Cummins 4BT and you'll need all of 5 wires to make it run....
Just make sure you have a Diesel VIN before you do it.... Or truck weight tags. Course, I'm in Va. and that's the law out here.
Making my county a safer place thru active participation in local politics.
http://www.tooconservative.com - I am " The Bulletproof Monk".
Newsflash!!!! I just opened my own county political blog!!!
http://thebulletproofmonk.blogspot.com/

1995 Astro
Solid axle conversion
1 ton axles
Hummer front clip

original_balzer
I get chills without my van.

Post by original_balzer »

If you can get the body to sit on the frame closer than the white one posted above, I think it would be a pretty good project. It stands to reason that the additon of the frame and drive train, to a location thats actually lower than the originals, would make it quite stable even with some lift. These vans are typically NOT top heavy to begin with, kinda like a semi tractor, all the weight was kept low. So I highly doubt putting one on a K5 chassis would hurt the COG.

I say go for it.