Well...crud!

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Well...crud!

Post by kings-x59 »

Went to pull the right rear axle shaft on the used Jeep Cherokee I bought for my son. -flange on the axle is bent, wheel wobbles.
Good news is the gears are in great shape. Bad news is that whoever installed them rounded the head on the pinion shaft lock bolt a bit, and my efforts to remove it made is worse. What should have been a simple job has now become complicated. I hate getting beat by one little bolt. Soaked it down with liquid wrench. I'll take another crack at it next weekend. In meantime suggestions are appreciated.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

NotDadsW41
I sleep in my van

Re: Well...crud!

Post by NotDadsW41 »

Get PB Blaster instead of that Liquid wrench. If the head of the bolt is round off, you can get something like this:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... 000P?mv=rr
CD_S
1991 W41
1995 Astro - Now gone, I am Astroless.
1997 C1500
1989 9C1 Caprice
1997 Bonneville
1998 Olds 88 LS
http://forums.b-body.org - newly updated!

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I have used vise-grips with success. Depending on what loctite the last installer used, heat may be needed.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Lets hope no Locktite was used. As a last resort you can weld a cheap socket to what's left of the bolt head. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

I had a lucid moment and quit before I fubared it, but an 8mm or 5/16" socket slips on it now.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve

Topic author
kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

man it's been that long? got a set of metrinch sockets and wrenches - wall drive, yeah yeah I know...infomercial tools
but the fact of the matter is they work. got the munged up pinion bolt out no problem. The ratchet in the set pretty much sucks but the sockets and wrenches work purty guud. My Son and I pulled the axle this morning and counted the splines.
Good thing we did, all the parts sites list the '96 for 27 splines. His has 29. new axle ordered. Soon no more wobbling rear wheel. semper fi Astrosafarians!

name's Steve

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

How about a small thermonuclear device?
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Topic author
kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

hmmmm, Captain...while a tempting suggestion, that might scratch the paint on my astro sitting adjacent in the driveway.

name's Steve