tire tips

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

chemist
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: tire tips

Post by chemist »

Okay, too many variables to give a good answer. Where do live, and how are winters there? What do you use your van for? Do you ever tow? Will you at some point in the future decide to build a sandbox for kids and bring home lumber plus 30 playsand bags?

My gut says buy LT tires with a good tread and the size rated for your van. But then, you may live in the Carolinas, never see snow, and only use your van to take the family grocery shopping... I know money is tight for everyone now, including myself. That makes passenger car tires very tempting, and necessary for some. But it all boils down to where you live and what you do with it.

Previous Vans: 1998 Astro, AWD, 138K mi; traded on 2003 Chevy Astro, AWD, 125K mi; traded on
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT, 4x4, ext, long box
2007 Chevy Cobalt
1998 Maza MPV (180K mi and in need of PA inspection--only paid $500!)

Needed: a Gen 2 Astro project vehicle...

Topic author
okeman
I am merely driving my van

Post by okeman »

I live in canada. winters are normal and I use the van for everything its family and stuff like that
Recently I was asked to run a marathon. At first I said, 'Naaahhh!' Then they said to me 'Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids. Then I thought........

Holy Shyt... I could win this.......!

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Not for everyone ,but they suit my style of driving so far...http://www.astrosafarivans.com/review/M ... chelin.htm

thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

I like winter tires in the winter - once you try them you'll understand.... and swear by them - however that might not be an option depending on finances... I also have a set of LT tires for the summer - I plan to get a travel trailer and drive gravel back roads - so the LT's are a must for me. In the past however I have had good luck with Michelin LTX's on my truck, Goodyear Wranglers on my jeep, and Hankooks have been good to me also. I would also say go for the LT - my winters are P rated and the van sure shows its weight on them.
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta

Topic author
okeman

Post by okeman »

anyone run the BFG AT's st stock size on their van, I know others have them with 31's. do they even make them that small this is the smallest set of tires that I have bought in the last 4 years 33's were the last smallest
Recently I was asked to run a marathon. At first I said, 'Naaahhh!' Then they said to me 'Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids. Then I thought........

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

i have the BFG's All-Terrain on my truck at stock size they are pretty aggresive and they worked damn well in the snow, since i was out last winter before the snow plows i got to test them out in 6-8 inches was passing trucks my family thaty was with me during the drive were laughing as i had a hugh smile on my face
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Topic author
okeman

Post by okeman »

Cobra wrote:i have the BFG's All-Terrain on my truck at stock size they are pretty aggresive and they worked damn well in the snow, since i was out last winter before the snow plows i got to test them out in 6-8 inches was passing trucks my family thaty was with me during the drive were laughing as i had a hugh smile on my face

sweet thanks man

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

okeman, What did you end up getting? Thanks, Jim

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

chemist wrote:Okay, too many variables to give a good answer. Where do live, and how are winters there? it all boils down to where you live and what you do with it.
Money is almost always tight (at least for me - when ever I think I have a little extra... we have a mechanical problem with one vehicle or another.... medical problem, plumbing, electrical or problem with one utility company or another, sickness or death of relative.... list goes on for ever... the mythical "extra money")

Live in Cleveland (at least, for now....) not too hilly, do drive in snow, rain and sometimes on gravel (driveways for the most part) over a thousand pounds of equipment, chemicals and water (85 gallon fresh water tank, which I normally only keep 30 or 40 gallons in) plus fuel and myself. (not a skinny driver....)

Been told (by a tire distributor) that I wouldn't find a LT tire in sizes under 235, and that 215 75 15 was kind of an odd size.... also, changed the rear end in Safari, now using the 88 astro rearend, and noticed the speedometer is off now (different gearing...) going about .9 for every mile.... and about 4 miles an hour off.... thinking maybe going up to 225 75 15, might reset, or would that change it farther. Never could figure out how tire size changes the speedometer up or down.....>
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

thevalleyboy wrote:I like winter tires in the winter - once you try them you'll understand.... and swear by them - however that might not be an option depending on finances...

I agree! Winter tires do their stuff in the snow.
I have tired many tires for my Safari, Jag V12, Firebird 383, BMW 2.5L and heh the Venture van.

For my ride I finally (after trying 5 different tires) settled on the Toyo Open Country AT LT235/75/15. Not to big not to small still good on mpg, aggressive threads but quiet and can hum up to 160kph+ NO PROBLEMS and still take the snow (check my youtube for our 3' snow), mud and not chew through my gas tank.

I live in BC, Canada (lower mainland).
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

phr1$k37 wrote:
thevalleyboy wrote:I like winter tires in the winter - once you try them you'll understand.... and swear by them - however that might not be an option depending on finances...

I agree! Winter tires do their stuff in the snow.
I have tired many tires for my Safari, Jag V12, Firebird 383, BMW 2.5L and heh the Venture van.

For my ride I finally (after trying 5 different tires) settled on the Toyo Open Country AT LT235/75/15. Not to big not to small still good on mpg, aggressive threads but quiet and can hum up to 160kph+ NO PROBLEMS and still take the snow (check my youtube for our 3' snow), mud and not chew through my gas tank.

I live in BC, Canada (lower mainland).
phr, Just looked it up. Good looking tire. What kind of mpg do you get with that tire? Thanks, Jim

edit: I also am curious as to how much it throws off your speedometer? Thanks again, Jim

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

astroturf wrote: phr, Just looked it up. Good looking tire. What kind of mpg do you get with that tire? Thanks, Jim

edit: I also am curious as to how much it throws off your speedometer? Thanks again, Jim

Click on my click in the SIG to see what I have done to the vehicle to compare to yours. If I am having fun with all the teenagers from light to light I am looking at 22-26L/100km ... if normal driving with decent amount of gaunt throttle 18-20L/100km. If driving with children / seniors dude, like 13.5-15L/100km no problem! This is all city driving ~15-20km distances.

If on highway say a 3 hour drive covering 200kms with mountains and high-elevations, loaded up (camping for 5 people + car-top) ~16.5L/100KM.

If on highway from Richmond BC Canada to Seattle, WA, USA a nice 13.5-14L/100km (google the distance) and that includes runs at 160kph :p

It is a good tire.
Stock size is 26.5? (215/75/15) so at 235/75/15 but LT they are 29.1" ~3% but I reprogrammed so no problems.
BTW all my numbers I get from my scangauage2 which I verified several times with manual calculation with a full-tank, same gas station and yes call me a geek same temperature outdoor :p

Since you live in the states check out Big O tires ... Dean gave me suggestion way back then regarding their tires, made by Cooper.
The Michelin LTX are pretty good but they didnt have enough bite in them for me in the snow.

Sorry use google search to convert my numbers to mpg.
Hope this helps!
Honestly for me ... maybe cause I dont have children yet the amount of fun I get hitting the throttle and running in 2nd gear a lot is not worth the savings in gas haha.

EDIT: In google type "16.5L/100km to mpg" to convert.
Just a reminder I am AWD based and on 3.73 gears. Within my daily drive to work and back I have 13 traffic lights and 3 stop signs this is city driving and those lights get me a lot. I aim to get 14L/100km when I arrive in my less than 15km drive (ouch!) so though my mpg may look bad for my driving it is excellent.

11 L/100km = 21.3831439 miles per gallon (I can get this all the time after hockey, 2AM drives home with no traffic and time the lights haha)

13.5 L/100km = 17.4233025 miles per gallon (norm)
16.5 L/100km = 14.2554293 miles per gallon (norm w/ fun)
22 L/100km = 10.691572 miles per gallon (hah ha ... er playing)
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

phr, All good info thanks, Jim

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

Phrisket i noticed when ever someone asks you a question you go all out and tell them everything you know do you do that in everyday life or just one here?

i had to ask (don't hurt me :-k )
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Cobra wrote:Phrisket i noticed when ever someone asks you a question you go all out and tell them everything you know do you do that in everyday life or just one here?

i had to ask (don't hurt me :-k )

I wont hurt you cause I am not sure if you are asking because you are annoyed with me or not hah ha.
I dont give short non-concise answers to family and friends .. and well ASV is part of this group for me.

There have been countless times that good folks here have helped me so I should try to return the favor :)

I dont expect anything I say to be taking as bread and butter - just another opinion. :cheers: