Hey Rebel, I got my rear in gear!

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Hey Rebel, I got my rear in gear!

Post by Kabey's Van »

Hey Larry,
Just lettin' you know I picked this up today.
It works but I will be takeing it completely apart, cleaning it up, rebuilding it and probably chromeing a few things as well. I'll keep you up to date on how it all goes.
Peter

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Re: Hey Rebel, I got my rear in gear!

Post by lockdoc »

Is this a Jaguar rear like I heard you talking about before?
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

Topic author
Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

That would be the one. Needs some tender luvin' care, but it's a complete r/e.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Interesting,I've never seen one before :rock:

Topic author
Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

I've seen one before but I have never worked on one before.
First thing is to learn more about it, figure out how I'm going to mount it, and then I will start taking it apart. I will be doing away with the cage and purchasing or makeing the supports.
The Jag r/e looks so much better un-caged.
Without the cage I am a little confused with the angle the anti-torque arms that attach to the bottom of the centre section are best set at. There seems to be two schools of thought on this.
I am surprized at how much chevy stuff is on it. It's a Dana 44 with 2.88's, stock chevy 1.25" u-joints and chevy hubs, my rims bolt right on.
It's 61 3/4" wide which is a bit shorter than the stock 10 bolt in my van but this will allow for a deeper rims and shouldn't interfere with the wheel wells.
After having looked at a few pompas ass Jaguar sites I'm thinking it may be better to build a sub-frame for it that connects to the exsiting front sub-frame on my van.
I'm tossing around a lot of ideas right now.
Peter

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

This'll make for an interesting swap! Pics, my man. Pics! :bounce:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Well,,,,the fun begins. :bounce: I understand not using the cage support as far as looking much better. You're correct. The only issue I see in not using it would be your strut rod cam adjustment bolts which as you know use the lower section of cage. This measurement may look very critical but not really other than both need to be the same distance from top to bottom. If I remember correctly, the Jag also has adjustments on each strut rod, isn't that correct, and this will allow some buffer if cam bolt holes are not exactly the same distance from dif.
One thing that is difficult to get correct is ride height and this will have to be calculated in the frame bracket or brackets you make to support IRS. My advise on height is to make your frame bracket adjustable if possible. As I mentioned, the height desired will MOSTLY have to be in the bracket and not raised or lowered after installing by running the rings up or down on a set of coilovers. You probably know this, but you want your halfshafts close to being level and don't forget while building your bracket to leave room for pinion angle changes that may need to be made later.
The slickest look to me on the Jag rear is the inboard rotors.
Good luck. Looking forward to all those pics. Gonna be one slick :butthead:

Could you post more pics of rear at different angles ?
Last edited by Rebel on Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Interesting,I've never seen one before
Keith, on the next trip you make to a rod run,,check under some of those roadsters or T Buckets and you'll see one up real close and will probably have some chrome halfshafts and strut rods.
The Jag rear has been a street rodders must have for along time.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

Rebel wrote:The Jag rear has been a street rodders must have for along time.
why? tho looking at that pic i instantly had idea's of an install
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Rebel wrote:
Interesting,I've never seen one before
Keith, on the next trip you make to a rod run,,check under some of those roadsters or T Buckets and you'll see one up real close and will probably have some chrome halfshafts and strut rods.
The Jag rear has been a street rodders must have for along time.
Thanks for the info Larry :cheers:

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Peter,,,have been trying to find a site where I got alot of the ideas for the IRS and control arm brackets but ran acorss this one and thought you might be interested in seeing this guys set up. I haven't read the complete write up but it appears at a quick glance he used his rear spring perches, front and rear to secure his IRS bracket.
A great idea and would save alot of time trying to mount to what little frame material we have. Wish I had thought of this. Would have made the job much easier.
Damn, I wish I had seen this. Piece of cake here.

http://www.cwiinc.com/offroadinstruction_guide.htm

VIDEO

Topic author
Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

Hi Larry,
I'll keep this short as I just got booted off site again.
Thanks, that is an awesome idea. It is also the first time I have seen the torque rods mounted behind the centre section. I wonder why he did that? Putting a slight bend in the trailing arms is an unusual idea as well, you would think this would promote flexing.

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Peter, are you talking about these front control arms ?
http://www.cwiinc.com/photo21compressed.jpg

At first glance I wondered why they were so long but realized he must have had the same issues of there being enough frame to work with. I'm not up on these trucks and would have thought they'd have a full frame but guess not and think he did this to connect to front subframe. You guys that are tuned in to these pickups, do they have a full frame or not ?
The bend in the control arms you see I'm sure is to align with front frame area. I don't think the bend would allow much bending as this is a push/pull in that area and up and down. The up and down as you know has pivot points front and rear so no real stress there but the push/pull would have alot of stress.

Can you post more pics of that IRS when you get a chance ?

VIDEO

Rebel

Re: Jag Rear ???

Post by Rebel »

Thanks Johnny. Appreciate that.

Peter,,anything going on or just head scartching time. :-k

VIDEO

mattblackratbus
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by mattblackratbus »

no problem happy to help....Johnny