Adding a second battery?

USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS SUCH AS WIRE COLOR CODES, BLOWING FUSES OR WIRING SHORTS.

Topic author
pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

Adding a second battery?

Post by pengyou »

I am looking at a lot of toys that I would like to add to my van - including a computer system, 24" lcd panel tv, etc. I want to be able to use a lot of these things while the van is parked so was looking into the possibility of adding a second, or even a third battery to the van. The problem is...where would I put it? There is certainly no room in the engine compartment.

Any ideas? I would like to stay away from gel packs if I can. They are pretty pricey.
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Re: Adding a second battery?

Post by WVKayaker »

No place to put a 2nd battery under the hood, but here's what I did and it's been working good for me.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1418&hilit=by+special+request
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

All kinds of places to drop it through the floor if ya want it out of the way.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

Thanks! Yes, out of the way is important because I often carry people in my van. I just looked under my van today and noticed there is a big space next to the (very deep) gas tank that looks like it might be able to house a couple of lead acid batteries. The glass mats are cool but, last time I looked, were 2x the cost of the typical lead/acid battery.
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Be sure you vent the compartment to the outside. Lead acid batts can create a lot of hydrogen gas during heavy use. I would also ask are you going to parralel it the primary battery? If so what are you plans on that?
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

Topic author
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

Thanks! I am going to look under the van to see if I can find some way to put it in a large empty space near the gas tank...not likely go to boom, is it? I really would like them to be outside the passenger compartment.

Once I find the space I will ask you a different set of questions :) ...but basically I would like them charged by the alternator and not at all connected to the battery in the engine compartment, so that if something goes wrong or I leave something on too long I will still have a working car battery to drive the car.

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

You will need and isolator so that it can be charged from the alterantor as well as the regular battery. Good to keep it out of the passenger compartment, but you will still need to vent it to the outside.
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

Topic author
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

Thanks! Is there anyone out there who has put batteries under the car? I would appreciate hearing from the voice of experience :)

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

For isolation you can use a continuous duty solenoid with a switch to allow you to run the 2 batteries together or separate so you have a backup. The 12 Volt Guy provided me with a dual battery kit for the SPB which I never totally completed. It was a very well put together kit and included pretty much everything needed except for the 2nd battery.

Here is the winch and dual battery kit I won for the SPB...

Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:For isolation you can use a continuous duty solenoid with a switch to allow you to run the 2 batteries together or separate so you have a backup. The 12 Volt Guy provided me with a dual battery kit for the SPB which I never totally completed. It was a very well put together kit and included pretty much everything needed except for the 2nd battery.

Here is the winch and dual battery kit I won for the SPB...

I was wondering wth the other switches were for!
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

So has anyone done the second battery drop through the floor? I was thinking if only using for a secondary battery such as for assistance with addition power for an RV, or plug in accessories then placing this battery in the rear near the factory trailer wiring harness might be an option, as a +12V positive lead for charging is already there, just install an isolator. I realize this would not help for cranking. A drop battery box could easily be constructed out of some decent guage steel, dropped into the floor and welded, a little cut out floor panel, hinges, weather stripping, latch mechanism and bang - done. I have a great picture going on in my head... the location would need to be confirmed to ensure you had room for the battery box. If more juice was desired just run larger guage wires. I'll have to think about this one after I get a trailer, especially since I have access to a sheet metal shop and welders. :-k

Interesting product - for trucks - and ideas
http://www.classicperform.com/tech_arti ... ry-Box.htm
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta

SPL Guru
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by SPL Guru »

Hey bro, we get used yellow/red tops all the time- can pick one up for $50-60

No need to worry about venting w these :cheers:

PM me if interested
Owner of Streebeat Customs
http://www.sbcustomz.com
1987 Murdered Out Safari - shorty- 32K mi.
Stock 4.3L
3 18's- 8K rms
153.4 musical in the van on a TL legal..

*New, louder build coming soon*
Astro's n Safari's- over Lambo's and Ferrari's