My 96 needs near rear drums

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

My 96 needs near rear drums

Post by pengyou »

Which years will fit it? I am going to make a trip to the wrecking yard and see if I can get a used pair so would like to ask for the newest model year possible
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: My 96 needs near rear drums

Post by GEJ »

My opinion is a good set of new drums are so cheap,it hardly is worth going to a junkyard and then maybe needing to have them turned.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I agree with GEJ....oh crap :yikes:

Get new ones as they are fairly cheap at around $30 - $35 each. If you get a set of worn-out ones from a wrecker and you have them turned to be true for $15 each and then find they are worn too much you will be out the cost of a new set and still have to buy a set. This is one area where being cheap will not pay off.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Do a search for the big brake upgrade. While you're at the J/Y look for the 11" setup from a Roadmaster or Caprice. It's a bolt on swap. It shouldn't cost any more than a pair of new drums. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

1985-2002 will fit, but please don't grab used braking surfaces or hydraulics. Brakes are the most important thing on any vehicle, best to buy new.

Even Grumpy will be getting new drums, and I'm very cheap when it comes to Grumpy.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Dean's right, I used to pay more to have drums turned than you can get them new now. gotta love china.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

This is the perfect time to upgrade to 11 inch rear brakes from the 9 inchers. I got mine from a `92 Caprice taxi saloon car. The cop-cars are the same, look for green silicon radiator hoses under the hood, this is a sign of a heavy duty police or taxi package.

You could grab that alternator at the same time because it`s a 140 amp and that V8 fanblade because it has 7 blades to pull more air through the rad. The engine oil cooler and the trans cooler are worth grabbing also because they are heavy duty and huge.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Topic author
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

Thanks! I went with the new drums but will keep your suggestion filed about the brake upgrade. If I ever decide to redo the engine I will do the brake upgrade.
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

anyone know what years for that caprice rear end will fit....i'm assuming the 94-96 impala rear, with disc brakes will work as well.....and straight bolt in? it's the exact same length and has same gear ratio's?

i'm trying to search for it right now at local junk yards on carpart.com

one of these?

8.5" ring gear, SW
8.5" ring gear, Sdn, drum rear brakes, 11" brakes
7.625" ring gear
8.5" ring gear, Sdn, disc rear brakes, w/o police opt
8.5" ring gear, Sdn, disc rear brakes, w/police opt
8.5" ring gear, Sdn, drum rear brakes, 9-1/2" brakes

by what i'm reading it would be option 2 or 5.....
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

SoCalli V8 wrote:You could grab that alternator at the same time because it`s a 140 amp and that V8 fanblade because it has 7 blades to pull more air through the rad.
I like the sounds of that alternator... bolts right up and same pulley size??

what years of HD or police package will work?
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

It's not the entire rear end we are talking about. It's just the brakes. The backing plate and all of the brake hardware is what you need to upgrade. This swap is well worth the effort. Once you get everything to do the swap it only takes three hours to complete. And that's not being in a big rush. \:D/

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

Smiliesafari wrote:It's not the entire rear end we are talking about. It's just the brakes. The backing plate and all of the brake hardware is what you need to upgrade. This swap is well worth the effort. Once you get everything to do the swap it only takes three hours to complete. And that's not being in a big rush. \:D/

ahhhh, ok.....so just grab the parts not the rear....got it......so this would be the drums then if i read correctly......do we keep the axles that we have or have to grab those as well? anyone know if the disc set up from the impala's will work? didn't i read somewhere on the old board someone had done it......
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

crash wrote:
SoCalli V8 wrote:You could grab that alternator at the same time because it`s a 140 amp and that V8 fanblade because it has 7 blades to pull more air through the rad.
I like the sounds of that alternator... bolts right up and same pulley size??

what years of HD or police package will work?
`91-`93 Copcars and Taxi Caprices had this package with the 350 tbi motor. I grabbed the alternator and bracket so that I would be sure that it would all bolt up to my V8. Some cars I have seen a small bolt-on bracket that allows the 140 amp alt to fit the older 100 amp bracket. I haven`t mounted it yet so I didn`t compare pulley sizes, swapping over shouldn`t be a problem, or using a larger or smaller belt.

`94 and up these cars came with the multi-point LT1 motor, look out for all `91-`95 Caprices with green coolant hoses in your wrecking yards.

For more info checkout the 9c1 forums http://www.9c1.net/forum/index.php?showforum=9
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Yes, you need the drums also. And no you don't need the axles. You do need to pull the axles out of the Astro rearend to install the brake backing plates. It's not a big deal. You'll have a chance to clean out the inside of the diff, change the lube and install new axle seals. \:D/

Topic author
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

Thanks! If I ever have to do the front brakes - with the disks - is there an upgrade I can do there also?

Thanks for all your input.