Major tune-up...any suggestions on parts?

Topic author
pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

Major tune-up...any suggestions on parts?

Post by pengyou »

My van needs a tune up very badly. The spark plug wires look like the originals so I am wondering what all the other stuff is going to be like. Can you make any suggestions about the following parts - perhaps options that will provide a little better fuel economy or some other benefit?

Spark plugs:

Air filter

Spark plug wires

Distributor cap

Oil - synthetic? which thickness for an old engine in Portland Oregon?

Anything else?
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Major tune-up...any suggestions on parts?

Post by GEJ »

Delco parts only on cap,rotor,wires, plugs.I don't remember if you stated what kind of gas mileage you are getting,could you give us a idea what that is??.That way we could let you know if what you are getting is normal.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

delco cap and rotor

NGK G-power plugs (they make plugs for delco but are cheaper than the delco name)

wires, any quality brand 7mm or thicker if you can get them

air and oil filters WIX (or, if you can't find wix, 'napa gold' are made by wix)

sythnetic or not comes down to personal preference. I ran fully synthetic Royal Purple in my 94. I run non-sythn in my 99. The older van seemed to like the synthetic better.

hope this helps somewhat...
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

don't forget the lowly pcv valve. buy a new one for $1.79, you can clean them out, but they don't really work right after they get old.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Spike99

Post by Spike99 »

Don't forget gas filter replacement as well.

If older then 5 years, I'd also recommend a Rad Fluid change, Transmisison Fluid change, transmission internal filter change, rear end fluid change, power steering fluid change and brake fluid change. I know these aren't really engine "tune up" items but if going "into the shop", these items can add more life as well.

Topic author
pengyou

Maintenance at 200,000 miles?

Post by pengyou »

My van is running pretty well...but I was wondering if changing the water pump and alternator might be a good preventative maintenance step - change it before it breaks down on the road?

I am going to do a thorough tune-up - plugs, wires, rotor cap, carb adjustments....as well as a major round of fluid changes - radiator, oil, differential, transmission (i had jiffy lube do the tranny today) as some of you have mentioned. The last owner said that the fuel pump was replaced about 2 years ago.
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

Topic author
pengyou

Would you trust my van?

Post by pengyou »

I initially got the van to putz around town. Now that I have wheels and a mobile I am feeling the need to go farther. I want to go to British Columbia 2 days after thanksgiving, about a 450 mile trip one way. It is relatively flat. Would you trust driving my van?

Topic author
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

Is there a "performance" air filter that will give the engine a little extra umph?

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

I would guess K & N makes one for a Astro.Really don't know for sure.Never thought it would matter that much.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I put a K & N in the SPB and I thought it felt a little peppier. Might be because I was $40 lighter in the wallet though...not sure! :D
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

yep your wallet will be lighter. The placebo effect will give you engine a 20hp boost.
save your money, put a new clean stock air filter in it. been there done that got the dirty t-shirt.

not to mention, in spite of what their websites might say, they don't filter as well... don't believe me do the web research.
dust and sand are not friends of your cylinder walls.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....