Installing fog lights behind the radiator grill

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

Installing fog lights behind the radiator grill

Post by pengyou »

My friend just gave me a pair of fog lights. I want to install them but I live in an area that is...well, I am concerned that they will be stolen of the van. I know I will loose some of the effectiveness of the lights but what would happen if I installed them behind the radiator grill?
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Installing fog lights behind the radiator grill

Post by kings-x59 »

might have a minor effect on the air flow to your radiator and ac condensor, but probably not enough to cause a problem.
Yep the lights would not work as well, but it might look kind of cool back lighting your grill.
Man, Peng you have got the astrosafari crak addiction bad, you have been all over this board. Welcome! Rock On! :guitar:
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by pengyou »

kings-x59 wrote: Man, Peng you have got the astrosafari crak addiction bad, you have been all over this board. Welcome! Rock On! :guitar:
Well, I have about 2.5 years to get this done. After I get my masters degree I will go back to China and will be working in orphanages doing training. I will come home every two years. The first of the two years I will be home for about 6 weeks and need to drive up and down the west coast. The second two years (every four years) I have to drive about 10,000 miles in 4 months or so, covering SF to Baltimore. In the past I have been flying, bussing and training to do this and find that it is too inflexible. In order to get cheap tickets I have to buy them 2-4 months ahead of time and by the time I use them details have often changed and I end up paying a small fortune to buy a ticket at the last minute :( That is one of the reasons why I thought a diesel powered land yacht would be a good idea...that and because I think running on good ol u.s. grown veggie oil would be really cool. I stumbled across the Astro by accident. So far I think it is a good van. I was originally looking for a Ford Econoline 350 stretch edition so that I would have more room. Also, the suspension is a little heftier and would be easier to toss a diesel into it. The astro, however, is easier to drive....but I need to collect a lot of info about astro's very quickly so that I can make my decision...actually, I think Astro's are a lot cooler looking than the Ford :)

Do you think...once I get this done that I could put a sail on top of it and allow the wind to help me?
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

You know the is available with the Powerstroke Diesel right? The 7.3L in the older ones converts to veggie pretty easily too.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86