Warm up quick.

General technical discussion and troubleshooting

Topic author
potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Warm up quick.

Post by potskie »

I'm on call 24-7 for my job and part of the requirement is showing up ASAP supposed to be within 45 minutes. Due to living a 20 minute drive away in good weather when it's bad it can take me a half hour or more just for the drive.

So I'm trying to find ways of warming up the van faster. Aside from the block heater and a grill cover what else can I do to speed up warm up times. So I can get outta my driveway faster with out damaging the van because I'm not letting it warm up enough.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Warm up quick.

Post by Someone »

It is a freaking astro van... drive it till it dies... then install a V8... have we not taught you anything yet? 2 more cylinders will also warm up faster :poke:

other options may include;

a garage or covered structure
fuel tank heater
remote start so you can hit the button while you are getting ready
did I mention a V8?
you could hook your cooling system into a quick release fitting that connects to the hot water furnace in your house.

i am out of ideas

how about a V8? I have one for sale you know :poke:
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Do you mean the interior or the engine?
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

ihatemybike wrote:Do you mean the interior or the engine?
I'm thinking both.... PLus the tranny...... The engine with the block heater and grill cover warm up in a reasonable amount of time but the tranny is still frozen..... I was looking around and they sell an oil pan heater that goes on the bottom outside of the oil pan. I wonder if one can be used on the tranny.

The windshield is my other major concern the sooner I can see the sooner I can go.

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

You might try the remote starter option. My wife loves hers in the Jeep.

I don't see why the oil pan heater wouldn't work on the trans.

To heat the interior faster you need to make it smaller, maybe a heavy blanket or curtain used as a divider behind the front seats.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump

nitropyro
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by nitropyro »

i like the blanket idea. but honestly a remote starter is the only way id go give it 10 mins and your set.
Danny
Danny im 21 year old with an 89 astro bbc 9in bagged 20's & 18's

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Orrrrrrrrr,you could have Peter ride along with ya. :smurf: :yikes: :yikes: Er no did I say that??. :-# Sorry,I didn't really mean that. 8-[ 8-[ :muhaha: :muhaha:
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

3rd vote for a remote starter , its the only way your going to accomplish warming the van & interior with out coming out to start it for warm up .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

TheChopFather
Retired
Retired

Post by TheChopFather »

4th vote!!!!
ISN'T HE SO SEXY IN HIS PRETTY WHITE DRESS???LOL

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

2nd vote for Someone's ideas. :supz:

Topic author
potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

nitropyro wrote:i like the blanket idea. but honestly a remote starter is the only way id go give it 10 mins and your set.
Danny
I have have been considering it aswell.. But I have my time from call to van waiting to go, down to less than 2 minutes so I don't know if it'll help that much... Give it 2 more minutes I guess but I'm trying to find ways that essentially I can just hit the van and be within a minute or 2 of going.

I was thinking one of the 12v windshield defrosters combined with a remote starter but the cig / acc plugs are not shut off by the ignition or that would work pretty well I think.

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

well i can see no one here is of any help..........quit your job and move to arizona...... :bounce:

#-o ok ok.....remote starter it is......
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

potskie wrote:I was thinking one of the 12v windshield defrosters combined with a remote starter but the cig / acc plugs are not shut off by the ignition or that would work pretty well I think.
Wouldn't take that much rewiring.
Aaron

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

second vote for moving somewhere warmer............

if not, then remote start is your best option, along with storing indoors to reduce windchill (on you when entering vehicle, since windchill supposedly doesn't affect anything but skin? at least that was how it was explained to me) the vehicle will be a few degrees warmer when remote start is activated, while your taking the call, start vehicle, by the time you get your shoes and coat(s) on and into the car, it should be warmed up to start driving, it can finish warming up on you way.

had it on one of my work vans, along with a thermohydrometer (I think that was what it was called), that monitored the temperature inside the vehicle, an alarm would sound if van got too cold (have to keep carpet cleaning equipment from freezing and being damaged) I would hit the remote start on vehicle and I left the front and rear heat on middle setting. The engine would run for about twenty minutes, then the engine would shut back off by itself.

Got to the point where I would hear the alarm go off, hit the remote start and go back to sleep. I'm thinking about having it installed on my Safari...... winter sucks..... I remind myself every winter, that they have carpets in Hawaii, I could be living there, doing the same thing for a living, and enjoying myself when I'm not working. Colorado, Northern California, North and South Carolina and a dozen other places would be nicer places to live than Cleveland.
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

Potskie - I also have to deal with cold weather - the starter might be good - programmed to start the van every few hours to keep it warm - aka a high end starter - but how about a garage - plain and simple - and heat it! Thats what I do - vehicles only ever get to about 5 centigrade - and are good to go, you could also install a heater inside the van - electric, and a warmer on the tranny - with the block heater. There are also propane/and electric powered re-circ water heaters available for the cooling system that might be an option - warm up the rad and the tranny fluid follows soon after. Used to have one of these propane systems on a old bush truck we used to take skidooing - pretty much jump started all the trucks of this unit if it was below - 35C
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta