stall,quit & no restart questions.

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

stall,quit & no restart questions.

Post by skippy »

Guys i need a few suggestions , 96 astro 2wd 4.3 200k miles . The van quit in traffic yesterday on my wife .no signs of problems , just stalled as she was braking for a red light . wouldn't restart , it would turn over but no signs of life . i can hear the fuel pump kick in when the key is turned on . & i have good spark into & out of the cap . (i was thinking ICM ) but its got good spark . plugs, wires , cap & rotor were down just a week ago . i can smell gas up front but haven't checked at the throttle body for fuel yet .(after i'm done writing this I'll check for fuel @ the TB.) but i need a couple ideas what to check next.i know check fuel pressure . if i can find a FPT is there a port or something i can test at or do i check it at the line feeding the TB ???
i gotta get back out to see what i can find , i'll check back later to see if anybody has any ideas , thanx #-o #-o #-o #-o
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: stall,quit & no restart questions.

Post by dunedog »

Sounds more like a wire in the coil (or wharever it's called now) area that broke.
I'd be looking there to start.
Last year went over a set of railroad tracks (rough) and it broke a wire at the point I had attached my tach to.....van stopped .........get what I mean.
Good luck,Skip............as I sit waiting for the town sewer vac truck to come and blow out my sewer line that has backed up......... :sick:
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

isn't this a 95 skippy?

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

no Zam its debbys 96 .......the 95 is still down with a dead tranny , i'm stuck here with no wheels....

Jim its got good spark so i'm leaning away from spark & more towards fuel but ...........who knows :-k :-k :-k :-k
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

You must use a FPT to see that you have at least 55 psi. There is a test port (schraeder valve) on the fuel rail at the rear of the engine. You will need to remove the dog house to access this port. Once you check that, let us know what you find.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

fuel pump is only giving 18lbs of pressure .....so it looks like i'm freezing my a$$ off again today & dropping the tank . good thing is the pump is only 80$ i was expecting the big dollar one thats all one piece , the pump sender combo . i'll let ya all know later how it went today . & thanks guys for all the help.

DAILY THOUGHT:

mattblackratbus
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by mattblackratbus »

Good luck with that Skip, did you also check the fuel filter?....Johnny

Bubbathegimp

Post by Bubbathegimp »

Ouch, has spark, has fuel, the 2 of 3 basics for "fire" I assume its getting air since you had to have the breather off to check fuel.....

Timing chain busted not operating the valves??? I'm the eternal pessimist
Still Kickin...

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

wasn't to cold after all.......... towed it to my brothers , pushed his outa the garage , pushed mine in & fired up the kero..heater . it went easier than we thought , the tank was dropped already ..cool =D> =D> put the new pump in jumped the battery & started right up !!!!! thank god !! :muhaha: :muhaha:

totol time spent droppin the tank & redo was about 3 hrs not bad ..... :-k :-k

parts store didn't have the filter but i'll pick one up from NAPA later & pop it in ...

DAILY THOUGHT:

mattblackratbus

Post by mattblackratbus »

:supz: =D> ...well done Dan..Johnny