belltech flip kit problem

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
andyfanshawe
I finally get the smurf thing

belltech flip kit problem

Post by andyfanshawe »

Hi all.
Just fitted a 6300 flip kit to the rear of my mates 1998 hightop van with steel leaf springs. The instructions in the box and on their website bear no relation whatsoever to the kit we fitted. The instructions were for the composite springs. Surprised that belltech have got that wrong.
Anyway, he travelled a long way to me so we could fit it, so we had an educated guess.

The kit wouldn't fit with the rubber isolators on the springs in place. The dimple in the bottom rubber cushion wont fit through the hole in the bottom plate. If the rubber cushions are fitted the bolts won't fit. We managed to get it all together pretty well considering we had no direction whatsoever. But, the van is now making horrible noises :cry: Belltech have been emailed but have had no response yet.

Anybody had any experiences with these kits?

Thanks for any reply.
Andy.

86 Air ride Camaro and soon to be Air Astro!

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: belltech flip kit problem

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

A quick google search shows the 6300 is for the 85 to 95 with composite springs. That would explain the instructions and poor fit.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

nitropyro

Post by nitropyro »

yes you have the wrong kit and it probably is extremely low right now vance and i made a old body kit work on a new body but it sat extremely low. i think all we did was drill out the center hole then made a raise bracket for the rear shackle.
Danny
Danny im 21 year old with an 89 astro bbc 9in bagged 20's & 18's

JOEASTROMATT
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by JOEASTROMATT »

Hi its my van and i wouldnt say it really low have u guys any idea of what is exact part difference between 6300 kit for composite leafs and 6302 for steel leafs it all goes together well apart from fact the rubber cushion is left out because the bolts on the saddle were too short ...i can get longer bolts and fit rubber cushion if that is only issue?
chevy astro '98 2WD belltech drop spindles/flipkit ,DVD,4xTV's, KnN, Angel Eyes, LED rear lights , Reverse Cam,Under Body LEDs.LPG

Topic author
andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:A quick google search shows the 6300 is for the 85 to 95 with composite springs. That would explain the instructions and poor fit.
Thanks for your reply.
My van has the kit for the composite spring fitted, which is different to the one that we fitted to joeastromatt's van. So I dont think the kit is wrong. The kit certainly isn't a poor fit by any means.
We are still waiting for belltechs response to the lack of proper instructions and their suggestions to put this right. IF the kit is wrong they have some explaining to do. IF it isn't wrong, why are the instructions completely wrong and no reference to the correct version on their website?

Any more comments welcome.
Andy

Topic author
andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe »

JOEASTROMATT wrote:it all goes together well apart from fact the rubber cushion is left out because the bolts on the saddle were too short ...i can get longer bolts and fit rubber cushion if that is only issue?
Unfortuately joeastromatt is not entirely right here. If longer bolts were used, the stock rubber cushions still would not fit. The bottom plate would NOT fit over the dimple in the rubber and so the location would not be correct. In addition the top rubber cushion is not suitable either due to its shape and depth.

The online diagram for the 6300 kit is not the same as the parts we have. Another reason I think the kit is actually correct for the application. Still cant explain the noise though-yet.

Andy.

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Years ago, I bought a BellTech flip kit for my `86 Astro that had composite leaf springs.

I don`t remember the BellTech part # because I flipped my axle 5+ years ago.

But I know that I had to modify it when I upgraded to steel leaf springs, < because they are narrower, taller and all the leaves were bolted together at that "axle saddle pad locating bump".

Sorry that my details are vague, (it`s been along time since I flipped) but I took some pictures to give you a visual, and help you out ......

In this picture you can see the chassis C-notch that I cut out and welded back in with 3/8 inch plate. Those are the airshocks that I use also....
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

And 11inch Caprice CopCar drum assemblies......
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc