And the regultor is pretty much the same lots of gunk and rust

OH and fuel injectors are expencive!

I may just bag the whole thing and forget it

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Throttle bodys

Post by kings-x59 »

I'd bet the sections of the fuel lines that are rubber need to be replaced as well.
My condolences on the injectors, they are very expensive.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

If that van was mine and you want to keep it and get it running again, I would scrap all the fuel system and start over! Drop the tank and replace the pump, all the lines and put a new/used TB on her. Sounds like your brother owes you a van! :muhaha:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Jinmajay
I sleep in my van

Post by Jinmajay »

I feel for ya!
The Tran man http://jayjensen.shutterfly.com/action/

1994 AWD GMC Safari, V8 truck van project
1998 2WD Astro
1999 AWD Astro

Topic author
original_balzer
I get chills without my van.

Post by original_balzer »

Yea, I dont think Ill be spending the money to fix the poor thing. I only gave $200 for the van so I cant justify spending that much on JUST injectors. The rubber parts are not harmed by the acid, the feul lines seam to be fine as well. I looks as though the acid ate the bronze colored finish off from the injectors and rusted the body of the injectors themselves. it then gummed up the fuel inside the injectors.

It may just get parked(or left where it is) and maybe someday get a 350 and 4x4 swap.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Check around your local salvage yards. Throttle bodies are plentiful and should be fairly cheap. Might be an easy fix. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
original_balzer

I wish my local junk yard was a sorce for parts but they crush everything the same day it comes in. They use a huge track hoe with a grapple claw to tear it appart and throw it in a big pile.

If someone who has done a V8 swap would like to send me some injectors????? It has to work on a 86.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Look in the "FOR SALE" section. There's a 1988 with a blown engine going to the scrapyard. The owner is looking to sell some of the good parts. His user name is "J paganel". \:D/

Topic author
original_balzer

YAY! Ok so a friend on http://www.ck5.com has 2 astros one with a bad engine and one with a bad trans. The one with a bad engine is a starcraft conversion, so hes going to put the good engine in it, because its a nicer van. So hes going to mail me the injectors off the bad engine.

I was going to just forget about the van for a while, but this breaths new life into it. Also the van was my grandfathers and hes getting in pretty bad shape being 90 years old. I have done almost every repair on this van for him the last 6-7 years from alt. starter tune up ect.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Good news. :bounce: That's not just a van.....it's an heirloom. \:D/

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Hey, GP Sorensen injectors from Autozone are about 55-60 bucks each last I bought and lifetime warrantied too. I'd get a carb soak can and clean the TBI unit's fuel pod out, then flush the lines out change the filter and see what happens. You can bypass the fuel pump relay by using the orange and black wire in the relay connector at the top of the hood opening on the passenger side (at least on my 89, your milage may vary) Pump all that garbage out, and see what happens. If it's black junk you may want to be wary of the lines tbh, it could be zinc from the galvanizing or something from the hoses, but I think it would be the former.

zombie{[six]}
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by zombie{[six]} »

Mr_Roboto wrote:Hey, GP Sorensen injectors from Autozone are about 55-60 bucks each last I bought and lifetime warrantied too.
I went 3 weeks ago and they want $80 a piece
crate 350 bored .60 over, 700R4, lifted...yada yada yada. Who cares what i have, ITS FAST AND I LOVE DRIVING IT!!!

Topic author
original_balzer

Yep $80 each was best price I found. I got used ones comming the tank has been drained. TBI is cleaned, rebuild kit, including pressure regulator parts, is here just waiting on the injectors. I will probably change the filter and the pump before I even try to start it.

I am seriously debating a few TB modifications. They are claimed to give up to 40 more HP combined, I doubt that but it couldnt really hurt could it?

The mods include spacing the injectors up higher, and grinding the surfaces smooth, taking the lip off the edge, thinning the butterfly shafts, adjustable pressure regulator and a throttle body spacer.

Next spring or summer it will need exhaust work as well.

nitropyro
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by nitropyro »

so is this running? i would honestly check the plugs it may have build up on them and you dont have a strong enough spark to start the van
Danny
Danny im 21 year old with an 89 astro bbc 9in bagged 20's & 18's

Topic author
original_balzer

Lmao No unfortunatly I cant do all that in 1 day Im waiting on injectors.
I will do a full tune up on it cap rotor wires plugs. This will be a winter long project as I dont have any money thanks to running my own business.