backup camera

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

backup camera

Post by pengyou »

Does anyone have a backup camera installed on their stro? Anyone know about them?
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

zombie{[six]}

Re: backup camera

Post by zombie{[six]} »

ive installed a good number of them. every brand differs, but they all do pretty much the same thing...show you what is behind you while backing up or driving
crate 350 bored .60 over, 700R4, lifted...yada yada yada. Who cares what i have, ITS FAST AND I LOVE DRIVING IT!!!

Topic author
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

Thanks! Is the camera a security type camera or a webcam? Maybe it is better to ask if it uses some kind of coax cable or a usb? Have you seen a diy camera system? Are they very durable?

If I could stick one on the inside bottom of the rear window do you think I could use a usb camera? Reason why I ask is that....well, as you might have guessed from reading my avalance of posts, i am a bit of a gadget freak. Secondly, I found a page once that told you how to mod a webcam so that it could see infrared light which would give me better night vision for non-automobiles when backing up - or parked cars.... I was also thinking it would be cool to have not not only a rear camera but also to mount one in the frames of each side mirror and then mount a 7" touch screen lcd panel where the stock stereo sits...and a computer with a solid state hard drive nearby so that I could have 3 views of the road, in addition to the front view, of course...but here is where the gadget-freakness takes over...if I have a computer in my stro I can use it as my dvd player - a dvd drive will fit nicely in the empty space under the stereo, and can mount a 23" lcd panel in the ceiling near the front - use a nice 7.1 sound card and put speakers through the van to get that 7.1 effect...and have a jack near each seat so that individuals can listen through headsets with a control to choose whatever music they want - dvd, cd, mp3 or usb drive...and can add a usb doo-dad for about $50 to provide gps through the 7" panel...or better yet hook the computer into the stro's computer harness and then place an lcd panel over the cluster to show speed, fuel, voltage, etc but connect the backup camera to that cluster lcd.

Well, I had better calm down a bit and return to earth :poke: ...so first I have to learn about the backup cameras.
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

zombie{[six]}

Post by zombie{[six]} »

email me zombie6mania@gmail.com
ill load you up on all the info you want. ive done a car pc or 2.
most cameras used in these systems are bullet type cameras with 320X420 res.(might be a little higher) these are basically the same as a web cam but weather proof and better. even can get IR built into them. as far as turn enabled cameras. very possible. takes a bank of relays to process. ill get that info out of my stash for you
crate 350 bored .60 over, 700R4, lifted...yada yada yada. Who cares what i have, ITS FAST AND I LOVE DRIVING IT!!!