changed my front brake pads today...

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
astronut74
I sleep in my van

changed my front brake pads today...

Post by astronut74 »

This is more of a curiousity question than anything else. I had the front brakes replaced 2 yrs ago (along with the rotors). For the past few months my front brakes have been squealing and recently when I would press the brakes, the van would pull to the right. I figured I would change them out before I started grinding the rotors. So I changed them out today, but they have plenty of pad left on them. They weren't even worn close to the squealers. I had to take sandpaper to clean all the crap off the pins and bushings before greasing them up. The pads looked like they had been slightly cocked off to one side more than the other, but only the slightest bit.

So I took it for a test drive, they no longer squeal and no more pulling to the side, and I'm glad I changed them, but why the heck was it squealing so bad if the pads weren't worn to the squealers??
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: changed my front brake pads today...

Post by Rileysowner »

I don't have an answer for you, but my brakes are squealing at times lately and I am wondering if it is the same thing as they were done not that long ago. I am looking forward to someone having an answer.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

are they ceramic brakes ??? they have a tendancy to squeal, especially if they get built up with brake dust . i take mine to the carwash & spray the front rotors good once a month or so & that stopped the squealing so far .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Topic author
astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

are they ceramic brakes ???
Hmmm.... :-k I dunno.. It's been a couple years since they were installed. I could take a picture after I get out of work and post it up. Would you be able to tell then?
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Could also be a glazed rotor or a hard spot on the pad.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

If the brake pads are not tight in the caliper they will squeal. \:D/ Steve, did you do the upgrade to the 4X4 pads?
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

Smiliesafari wrote:If the brake pads are not tight in the caliper they will squeal. \:D/ Steve, did you do the upgrade to the 4X4 pads?
I think you might be right there, and with the pads wearing unevenly, it makes sense. I didn't upgrade the pads though. I do plan on upgrading the rear brakes at a later date, maybe I'll upgrade the front pads then.
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

If one of the pins was slightly siezed this may cause the pad to wear unevenly, always clean the pins thoughly (bench grinder wire wheel) and lubricate with brake caliper grease every time that you change your pads.

Always machine your rotors also at every brake job, and bed the brakes in correctly for trouble free non squeeking brake service.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

I have new ceramic pads in mine, maybe about 2000 miles or less. These things sqeal terrible. So much so, i was considering taking them back. I took them off once already and greased teh backs. That helped for about 100 mile or so. I'm even considering a bit of silicone seal...
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

Southern
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Southern »

I have ceramic pads on my Astro and they are dead quiet. I use CRC disk brake quiet on the back of the pads:
http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/conte ... =05016&S=N
92 Astro Conversion Van 2WD
Vin Z Engine
Eaton Posi

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

SoCalli V8 wrote:If one of the pins was slightly siezed this may cause the pad to wear unevenly, always clean the pins thoughly (bench grinder wire wheel) and lubricate with brake caliper grease every time that you change your pads.

Always machine your rotors also at every brake job, and bed the brakes in correctly for trouble free non squeeking brake service.
I've found bent caliper pins and pins that had surface cracks all over them, as if they'd been over torqued. The caliper has to be able to slide on the pins.

SoCalli, for us shade tree mech types could you elaborate on what you mean by "bed the brakes in"?
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

kings-x59 wrote:
SoCalli V8 wrote:If one of the pins was slightly siezed this may cause the pad to wear unevenly, always clean the pins thoughly (bench grinder wire wheel) and lubricate with brake caliper grease every time that you change your pads.

I've found bent caliper pins and pins that had surface cracks all over them, as if they'd been over torqued. The caliper has to be able to slide on the pins.

SoCalli, for us shade tree mech types could you elaborate on what you mean by "bed the brakes in"?
Here you go King, this is a handy little link from our Links forum, alot of good info about brakes. http://aplsweb.com/Topics/Brakes.htm actually,everyone should bookmark this... or remember to check our Links forum,LOL.

Topic author
astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

astrozam wrote: Here you go King, this is a handy little link from our Links forum, alot of good info about brakes. http://aplsweb.com/Topics/Brakes.htm actually,everyone should bookmark this... or remember to check our Links forum,LOL.

Ya know, I don't think I've ever seen that link before. And I thought I checked them all out!

After looking at my old brake pads a little better, it looks like they are not ceramic pads, but look like a semi-metallic pad. Also there are cracks in the pad material inbetween the rivets. So now I'm really glad I changed them out!
I've got pics, but I'll have to post them up later when I can find the stinkin' cable to hook the camera to the computer! ](*,)
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

thanks Zam. man that's information overload. After going cross eyed I found the info on bedding brakes.
I discovered that simply by virtue of the circumstances of my daily commute I bed my brakes every day.
don't accelerate to fast, ease on the brake when traffic stops. My rotors are polished like mirrors.
I get edumicated more every day on this site.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Jboy2
I sleep in my van

Post by Jboy2 »

SoCalli V8 wrote:If one of the pins was slightly siezed this may cause the pad to wear unevenly, always clean the pins thoughly (bench grinder wire wheel) and lubricate with brake caliper grease every time that you change your pads..
Spot On!
1991 Chevy Astro Extended- Stock 4.3