My steering column

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

My steering column

Post by pengyou »

One of the greatest features in this van is the adjustable steering column. I can raise it when I get in or go out and then lower it while driving. Is there some kind of maintenance/lubrication that needs to be done to it to keep it happy?

康曙光
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Re: My steering column

Post by GnarliSafari »

its called tilt, not many vehicles these days without it, i seldom actually use mine and im sure a little grease wouldnt hurt it but i dont know that its really necessary.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

I wouldn't recommend adjusting it while driving.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

You can adjust it while driving. It has no effect on steering. And no maintenence required. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

I still wouldn't recommend adjusting it while driving -- it's a SAFETY issue, not a mechanical issue.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

CaptSquid wrote:I still wouldn't recommend adjusting it while driving -- it's a SAFETY issue, not a mechanical issue.
now you tell me....

The parts that need lubrication you can't get to without some rather involved disassembly of the column.
it works until it doesn't work anymore, and then it's broke.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....