Installing new deck in 2003 astro

ANYTHING RELATED TO AUDIO OR VIDEO SYSTEMS WHETHER STOCK OR AFTERMARKET.

Topic author
marco10
I am smitten with my van

Installing new deck in 2003 astro

Post by marco10 »

Hello all. New to Forum. Need help on installing after market deck in my van. Future Shop guy told me I couldn't install a new deck without first purchasing a special unit because the factory deck was special because it controls stuff like air bags and door chimes. Is this true? Never heard of something like this before. Can someone please confirm this? Thanks.

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Welcome Marko.
You don't mention the year of your van, but if it's newer than 2001 I think the installer could be right. I can't say for sure, but my wife has a 2001 Bonneville and it was the last year for that vehicle to replace the factory radio easily. The sound shop, where I bought the new JVC radio/CD player, told me that the 2002 Bonnevilles and up had to have a $75 extension cable installed to mount the OEM radio in the trunk, otherwise the car would have problems as the radio was an integral part of the overall car electronics and absolutely necessary.
Fortunately, the 2001 didn't need that, but I could not find a switched battery wire in the original radio ribbon cable to power the JVC radio. I don't have the wiring diagrams for the Bonneville, so I couldn't easily track down the wire I needed. I went the quick and dirty route by splicing into the power and ground for the cigarette lighter and moved the lighter's fuse to the timed off position. Not a clean install, but it works.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

e7ats
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by e7ats »

I drive a company 2004 Safari and they put in a JVC radio for me just so I could play CD's. So you can put any after market radio in with no problem.

Oh and how many CD's have I played. 0 :muhaha:

Make sure you make a how to.
2003 AWD ASTRO Personal van

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

well I can't speak specifically to the astro install, however, I have installed a deck in an 06 silverado. I had to find another 12v key power source than what was in the stock radio harness. something to do with the dimming after exit interior light and radio staying on after the key is off and out of the ignition until the door is opened. that function is computer controlled. I think it was a brown wire somewhere under the steering column area if my memory is serving me right. hope this at least helps a little bit.. or points you in the right direction to investigate other 12v key sources. sorry i couldn't be more specific.
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

burned
I am smitten with my van

Post by burned »

we installed a apline head unit in my buddys 04 with no issue.
94 shorty cargo

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

I have heard this "Myth" before... I believe their is some confusion in the books between the "body control module" and the stereo... the "BCM" is behind the radio and controls all of those goodies
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

Jared
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by Jared »

As a car electronics installer with years of experience, I can say that I have, in fact, installed aftermarket head units in a few '00 - '05 Astro Cargo vans and have always found the same exact harness connection.

Here's a link to a PDF document someone might find helpful - it offers basic diagrams for the 2 common GM radio harnesses.

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/GM-Wiring.pdf