What is the least aggressive shift kit?

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
gabequest
I finally get the smurf thing

What is the least aggressive shift kit?

Post by gabequest »

About to have a V8 vortec installed and thinking about a shift kit. My van is lifted and doesnt need to beat anyone off the line...would rather avoid the whiplash I'm hearing people mention. What should I do for a shift kit set up? Is it wise to do without it?

thanks
Attachments
Photo_053108_003.jpg
2004 Astro AWD
4inch Overland lift, 265/70/16, Poptop Colorado CamperVan, 11inch Roof Fan, Custom Bumper...more to come on the interior

2002Safari
I am smitten with my van

Re: What is the least aggressive shift kit?

Post by 2002Safari »

I have a B&M electronic shift kit that I took off my 97 Astro before I sold it. The wires need to be attached to the ECU. I now have a 2002 Safari with Tow/Haul mode so I no longer need the B&M device.

RNHedahl@comcast.net
2002 Safari SLT

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

If you're referring to the 98 4x4 I'd do a larger boost valve and a Vette servo and leave it at that. The 4L60E is a pretty good tranny without doing anything. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Smiliesafari wrote:If you're referring to the 98 4x4 I'd do a larger boost valve and a Vette servo and leave it at that. The 4L60E is a pretty good tranny without doing anything. \:D/
I agree!

That vortec V8 probably has a 4L60-E behind it as well. So they can definately handle it. Well except the V8 Version has a larger clutch pack but that's moot point.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Transgo without a doubt. Mine shifts gentler than stock I used the center values listed in their ranges, so your holes have a lot to do with it.

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

I'm not a fan of shift kits. In most daily driving instances you don't need them, not want them. Who wants a thump at every shift point? A smooth transition is what an automatic offers versus a manual stick. A shift kit saves a tranny as it doesn't "slide" the clutches as much thus lasting longer, but for all intended purposes, most trans will last the lifetime of a vehicle anyway.
I just rebuilt a C4 for my 1963 Ford Falcon and did not use an added shift kit. It has an adjustable modulator and to be honest, it felt like a shift kit when first installed. I dialed it back into a smooth, cool and calm shift transition.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

LaGrasta wrote:I'm not a fan of shift kits. In most daily driving instances you don't need them, not want them. Who wants a thump at every shift point? A smooth transition is what an automatic offers versus a manual stick. A shift kit saves a tranny as it doesn't "slide" the clutches as much thus lasting longer, but for all intended purposes, most trans will last the lifetime of a vehicle anyway.
I just rebuilt a C4 for my 1963 Ford Falcon and did not use an added shift kit. It has an adjustable modulator and to be honest, it felt like a shift kit when first installed. I dialed it back into a smooth, cool and calm shift transition.

I somewhat agree with you about shift kits.The other part is the wear created by the hard hits to rearends,u-joints,etc.The part that gets confusing with my use is a Astro who's primary use is towing wt's from 2500lbs to 5000lbs.(the 5000 lbs is only limited times)The tranny planned to be used is a V8 version from a 1991 pick up.I have looked long and hard at TCI's parts and I am temped to go hard core for long life.

But I am going off topic here.D.D'ers I don't think need a mouth pc to go to the store.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

MNmark
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by MNmark »

hello, im new here but i would use pcmforless.com and have him program a progressive tranny line pressure increase and also tune it up. i like mine smooth at part throttle and snappy at more throttle and thats how he programmed it. i had him tune my LT1 caprice and do the changes for the motor mods, n2o, gears, tire size.
youll get more hp and better mpg on 87oct.

Your ride looks sweet!

88 astro 2wd- ngk, msd blaster, air hog, cherry bomb, 1 1/2 lift, fat snow tires& loud tunes

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Transgo makes a corrective shift kit for these trannys . its not a hard shift like the HP ones but does in fact change a few internal parts ( boost valve etc.......) to give the tranny a renewed life & more power handleing capabilities .

http://search.stores.ebay.com/Oregon-Pe ... 93QQsofpZ0
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.