How to: EGR replacement and/or screened gasket install

Topic author
Sublimewind
I am smitten with my van

How to: EGR replacement and/or screened gasket install

Post by Sublimewind »

Hi all,

I made this up on the "other" site quite some time back, it since got lost in the board crashing who knows how many times since it's conception.

So I thought I would re-do it here.... All the info is based on my 94' Astro with a W code 4.3l (electronic EGR)

Note: all of this is based on memory of doing this almost 2yrs ago, and considering you have a clue of how to use tools and work on your van to some degree, certin parts of teardown may be missed as "common knowledge" or "common sense"

First we start with location, the EGR on these vans is located on the intake manifold somewhere.. on a 94' it's under the intake tube, between the belt tensioner and the radiator hose.

And a shot, further back but with the EGR removed...

The main reasion for the EGR to fail (and sometimes it's not a complete fail but getting clogged up with HUGE chunks of carbon) is carbon deposits.
What causes these deposits, your guess is as good as mine, i don't clame to know much about motors...lol... I do like to do my own work though...

You start by removing the intake box and hose, don't forget to unplug the intake temp sensor on the bottom of the intake tube.

When removing the EGR (2-10m bolts IIRC) you MUST be carefull of missalignment of the bolts holding it in, the aluminum is VERY soft and cross threading and/or galling is soooooo easy to do.. You may consider useing a universal link on the socket to help with alignment cause the upper radiator hose gets in the way. So much a misalignment problem, I replaced my bolts with STUDS that I lock-tited in, beacuse i had it out so many times, the treads were crappin out on me... (but since the screened gasket, i've yet to tak it out again ](*,) )
Here you can see the studs installed...

You can also see the carbon in the intake, but what you can see is the BB to PEA sized chunks of carbon I've gotten out of this area... !!!

The gasket your after is made by Tomco and it's called a Klean Screen...
This is the Tomco web-site http://www.tomco-inc.com/Klean_Screen_9176.aspx
I believe I bought mine from Northern Auto Parts http://www.northernautoparts.com/

The install is the reverse of removal, the gasket is shaped in such a way you CAN'T go wrong....
Here is a shot of the EGR itself and the bolts i was taking out and the studs I was putting in that day...

So I hope this has been informative. I know the screened gasket would have probably saved me from buying a new EGR when I did (I think, but am not sure) But, it most definitly stopped the CEL lights from comming on all the time, I haven't had one since and I haven't had a single problem with the rough running motor since.

Enjoy,
Aaron
Any fool can go fast in a straight line....
94' Astro AWD EXT W
Other rides:
03' Pontiac Vibe
00' Subaru Impreza 2.5Rs w/2.0 WRX swap
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
The GF...

You can't go wrong with Ohms Law

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Nice How To Sub, why not throw it in the "How To " section of our site??