700r4 4l60 to 350turbo kits

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
MNmark
I am merely driving my van

700r4 4l60 to 350turbo kits

Post by MNmark »

88 astro shorty, 1 1/4 front lift, air hog, msd coil, cherry bomb muffler20$, fat snow tires
ImageImage

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Re: 700r4 4l60 to 350turbo kits

Post by Rebel »

True but you need to figure your added fuel consumption of the 350 or 400 turbo to the equation.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

I haven't checked yet,but I wonder what the final gear would be on the 350/400 tranny compared to third gear of a 700R4.Humm-you know how guys go for a rearend gear change.Maybe with this you wouldn't have to get the 4.3's engine into the power curve.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

want to build a bullet proof 700r4 go here: http://www.transmissioncenter.net/highperflist.htm
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

GEJ wrote:I wonder what the final gear would be on the 350/400 tranny compared to third gear of a 700R4
That would be 1:1 for each.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
MNmark

Post by MNmark »

the converssion kit is nice and lets you reuse the stock driveshaft.

bullet proof 700r4 4l60 4l60e does not exist! they cant take the abuse of real hp or hi rpm unless you spend thousands of dollars on a rebuild and then they still fail unexpectedly! similar to msd boxs "MSD may suddenly die!"

this guy is highly recomended on the impala board.
shane http://www.cpt4l60-e.com/

what people do is switch to a th350 and save for a gearvendors OD unit. 6 gears

a guy on the impala board had 5 transmission decals under his mirror like a fighter pilot indicating his kills. i think he swapped over to a t56 6speed.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

So when you do the conversion, post up pics, we love pics here
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

I abhor the 4L60E. I've killed at least 5. But swapping to a 350 is a downgrade, in my not-so-humble opinion. Back in the day, a 400 was a real upgrade.
Better yet, how about a 4L80E? I'm running PATC's Raptor and it's controlled by a Compushift tranny conmputer c/w remote panel. The ONLY thing this hardware won't do for you is make breakfast and have sex with you....and I'm working on mods for the latter :smurf:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

The ONLY thing this hardware won't do for you is make breakfast and have sex with you....and I'm working on mods for the latter
:muhaha:

That's my boy,,on a never ending search for that something special. :yawinkle:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

peter wrote:I abhor the 4L60E. I've killed at least 5. But swapping to a 350 is a downgrade, in my not-so-humble opinion. Back in the day, a 400 was a real upgrade.
Better yet, how about a 4L80E? I'm running PATC's Raptor and it's controlled by a Compushift tranny conmputer c/w remote panel. The ONLY thing this hardware won't do for you is make breakfast and have sex with you....and I'm working on mods for the latter :smurf:
Peter are you running the tranny PTAC claims will tow in overdrive?
read a lot about their transmissions when I was rebuilding, bought many parts from them. When this one craps out, I think I'll probably just buy a PTAC transmission.

name's Steve

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

MNmark wrote:the converssion kit is nice and lets you reuse the stock driveshaft.

bullet proof 700r4 4l60 4l60e does not exist! they cant take the abuse of real hp or hi rpm unless you spend thousands of dollars on a rebuild and then they still fail unexpectedly! similar to msd boxs "MSD may suddenly die!"

this guy is highly recomended on the impala board.
shane http://www.cpt4l60-e.com/

what people do is switch to a th350 and save for a gearvendors OD unit. 6 gears

a guy on the impala board had 5 transmission decals under his mirror like a fighter pilot indicating his kills. i think he swapped over to a t56 6speed.
The Gearvendors set-up is around 3 grand.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

kings-x59 wrote:
peter wrote:I abhor the 4L60E. I've killed at least 5. But swapping to a 350 is a downgrade, in my not-so-humble opinion. Back in the day, a 400 was a real upgrade.
Peter are you running the tranny PTAC claims will tow in overdrive?
read a lot about their transmissions when I was rebuilding, bought many parts from them. When this one craps out, I think I'll probably just buy a PTAC transmission.
I dunno if they recommend it or not, but I wouldn't tow the Tramper in 3rd gear at 65-70 mph, that's fer sure. I tow in 4th with the converter locked up and the trans temps are fine. They'd go up as the engine temps went up (still within reason), but I've since re-plumbed the tranny oil circuit so as to be completely isolated from the engine rad.

With my CompuShift, I can control;

- shift speed
- max rpm before shifting
- shift firmness
- shift pressure
- tow/haul pressure
- lockout of 4th
- lockout of lock-up
- rpm level for 4th
- rpm level for lock-up
- option of paddle shifters
- view corrected speed after factoring gear/tire specs
- view tranny temp
- view tranny pressure
- view estimated hp based on acceleration/weight etc..
- pull any tranny trouble codes
- rpm gauge
- gear indicator.....

Should I continue?
The ONLY thing I was bummed out about was that while the controller intercepts the speed signal from the tranny, it doesn't correct it before sending it out to the truck computer and therefore the dash speedo. I was told that they'll prolly upgrade the system to include this in the future.
That and the fact that the controller smoked as soon as power was applied the 1st time. I coulda died. I thought I'd possibly miswired something, rechecked everything and all was fine. I was bummed, I don't usually trust aftermarket stuff and here was proof that my fears were well-founded...
Called up CompuShift and was told they'd received a bad batch of capacitors from Japan and had seen this issue before. The owner had me red-label the controller out by UPS and I had a new one (with a different brand of capcitor) shipped back to me within 4 days. All shipping costs incurred by CompuShift, I might add. Absolutely incredible customer support :supz:
Only problem I've had since is with a temp sensor in the PATC tranny. Whenever it's colder than -10*F, the tranny will flash me a temp sensor fault code on start-up. As soon as the tranny's warmed up and I restart the truck, the code's gone. No biggie and I've been too lazy to drop the tranny pan and replace the sensor.
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

That may have to do with the sensor being out of its limits or the ECU being out of its limits temperature wise rather than the sensor. I may be wrong on that one though; IMO if you're below 400hp the 4L60E is buildable without all that many more parts than a 350, it's the fact that most tranny companies gouge on building one up IMO. There's little to no more labor to build a 4L60 based trans than a 350 and the kits are no more expensive really compared to what they charge. I would go 4L80E or TH400 as an upgrade, even though both require driveline work. I am thinking glide for my van, but at the same time though it will be for very limited street time when I get it truly set up. Even so I am going to try and trade my glide parts off for a TH400 or 4L80E core to build up.

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

but I've since re-plumbed the tranny oil circuit so as to be completely isolated from the engine rad.
:yawinkle: Only way to go,,just makes sense.

VIDEO

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Yes and no, Larry. Temps here get down to -30*F in the winter. Overcooling tranny oil is almost as much of an issue as overheating. That's why I put the aux. cooler in series with the OEM rad cooler. Installed the aux. cooler after the engine to shed any excess heat. Only thing that worried me was the extra load on the rad, seeing as I was running 502 cubic inches-worth of heat thru a rad designed for an LS1ed 350.
I dunno that I'll notice the difference anyways, I may be stripping ZZ down and selling/scrapping the body.
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson