Blower only going two speeds

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

Topic author
Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Blower only going two speeds

Post by Rileysowner »

Ok, I replaced the blower a while back, and everything was working great, but not for long. Now I only have two speeds something faster than the lowest setting, and if i turn the switch all the way to high there is a slight click feel and it sometimes goes to high.

I know this could be the blower regulator, but what are the odds that it could be the fan switch? It feels sort of loose, but frankly I didn't pay much attention to how it felt before.

If it is the regulator, is the stealership the only place to get it, and where is in located on a '97?
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Post by v8famvan »

How are you at reading a wiring diagram?
As shown in this pic, the resistor or the connections to it or the switch can be faulty. I would disconnect the connector to the resistor & check for power at each of the wires when the switch is turned to that position. The resistor is located in the engine compartment beside/below the blower motor. It has a 5 wire connector on it with wires matching the ones listed in the diagram.

Most common - resistor.
Possible (& more likely with your description) - switch.
Hope this helps.
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Thanks James. As for reading a wiring diagram, well, it has been a very very long time since I have tried to do that. I can probably figure it out, but if not, I can always ask questions here. Hey, I get to use (ie. figure out how to us) my multi-meter. Right now it is bitterly cold outside and my Sunrunner is taking up the garage space while I fix a brake line leak, so fiddling around under the hood of the Safari will have to wait.

Some more questions for everyone. I would guess that the switch would only be available from the dealer or a junkyard. How about the resistor pack? Are there other places to get it?
Jim

Sublimewind
I am smitten with my van

Post by Sublimewind »

You can get the switch at NAPA, the resistor pack, dealer only... about 40-50 bucks for my 94'....

I just went through all of this and I DIDN"T take pics OR consider a How-to... ](*,) , it was to cold and i wanted it done....

The resistor pack only comes into play on speeds 1-3, and on 4 the switch switches a relay (this relay is used for the lower speeds as well, but bypasses the resistor pack on high)on the firewall for the high speed (straight through, no resistors) 1-3 are a combination of the various resistor and coils on the pack. It took me and my brother about 2hrs to figure it all out and a little longer to wire in a new relay and fuse holder (the factory stuff was questionable as best) for high fan...
Any fool can go fast in a straight line....
94' Astro AWD EXT W
Other rides:
03' Pontiac Vibe
00' Subaru Impreza 2.5Rs w/2.0 WRX swap
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
The GF...

You can't go wrong with Ohms Law

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

At last I got the chance to test this out. I checked power from the switch and the only line I get power on other than the always hot red, is the blue wire. So my guess is I have a broken switch.
Jim

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I discovered the problem, and after all the work I did to find it, I feel rather stupid because the problem was obvious. The knob was cracked and when you turned it instead of turning the selector, it just slipped over it. I discover this after taking the entire thing apart.

So if you have this problem, and the knob feels loose, pull it off and check to see if you can get the selector to change using a pair of needle nose pliers. Then either try to find a new knob, or go the route I did and repair it with some epoxy. I don't know how well it will hold up, but the epoxy seems to be holding up well so far. Right now everything is apart, so I think I will take some pictures as I put it back together Monday morning.
Jim

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Post by v8famvan »

Sure enough that is a common problem. I just changed one in my pastors van last weekend. I fortunately had save some knobs from some old control heads that I had replaced previously.
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

If I write up a How-to, it will be one of the first things I will have people check. when they are broken they come off so easily and a pair of needle nose pliers to turn it without the knob to test.

The good part of all this is I got some practice reading the wiring diagram and using my multimeter. The multimeter was a gift from my wife for either a birthday or Christmas, and sure enough other than this once I got it I had no things go wrong that I could test with it :)
Jim