what year did the stro...

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

what year did the stro...

Post by pengyou »

start coming with something other than barn doors for the rear? Was there ever a point where the barn doors were discontinued? And what year did the stro start to come with dual air bags?
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Re: what year did the stro...

Post by Kabey's Van »

Dual air bags came with the newer dashboard in 1995. Not sure when the dutch doors became an option but barn doors were availiable up to the bitter end.

Topic author
pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by pengyou »

Can a pre '95 be fitted with the '95 dashboard to allow it to use air bags?
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

barn doors were available until the last year, 06, dutch doors i believe started in 94, and i could be wrong but i know despite the new nose 95s still had the old dash, so i believe it was actually 96 that they started the dual airbags.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

the dash swap is rumored to be next to impossible... way to much involved to be worth while, a couple people tried it back in the AS days. I believe the concensus was it would be less work to build one from scratch,

In no way am I telling you not to try it though :poke:
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

pengyou wrote:Can a pre '95 be fitted with the '95 dashboard to allow it to use air bags?
95 was a change over year, the 95 had the old dash late 95 ( 96 year model ) started to change over to the rounded style, the dutch doors were an option in ..............i think 91 or 92 not 100% on that tho :-k

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

http://www.car-part.com shows the lift gate of the dutch doors available on vans from '92 forward.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

you could mount the dash but installing airbags is not possible. you would have to total the van about 50 times to establish where and at at what level to intall the crash sensors to set the airbags off. Not to mention it is not legal to buy used airbags and you could kill yourself while installing the bags or in the event of a accident when it doesn't deploy properly and you send 300mph dash parts into your passengers head and torso.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Newer style dutch doors can be fitted to an older-style Barn Door rear.... Easily.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc