add a leaf or full spring???

Topic author
scarecrow
I get chills without my van.

add a leaf or full spring???

Post by scarecrow »

i am finally ordering my lift kit... :supz: :bounce: \:D/ .my van is a late 95 i am doing 4 inches on it. i just cannot make up my mind if i wanna do the add a leaf or the full spring. the van is a daily driver. i will not be useing it for off road at all i have a truck on 44s for that. i am leaning towards the add a leaf. what yer thoughts???
SOLD and missing my 1995 Astro AWD 5 1/2 lift and 31 inch tires...

1996astro

Re: add a leaf or full spring???

Post by 1996astro »

I would think if cost is not a major problem go with the spring packs, they are made to be what they are. The add a leaf only adds more arch to your current springs. 4 inches is alot to ask of a single add a leaf in my opinion. I built custom spring relocation mounts to move my stock springs down 4 inches front of spring and rear using stock shackles. I will be adding two leafs from an s10 spring pack removing my middle leaf.
Brandon
Bay City, MI

1997 Astro LT 4x4 48,000 Miles,
Custom Lift: 3" body spacers, torsion keys,
4" leaf spring relocation mounts (by ME),
added a leaf spring from a 94 S10 blazer.
All this gives me 5-6 inches of lift.
General Grabber AT2 31X10.50R15
Custom fit Brush guard
Western 7' 6" plow pictures coming soon...
1997 Buick Century 198,000 miles

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The AAL adds lift by adding in extra weight capacity. That combined with the extended shackle will net a good 4". Does the new leaf pack require the extended shackle? If it doesn't, I would go the new leaf pack route. If it requires the shackle I would just go with the AAL and plan a 2 - 4 degree shim for the pinion angle.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

1996astro

Post by 1996astro »

I talked to Dan at Overland when I was weighing my options before I chose to make new mounts, he said that the 4 inch HD spring packs are 4 inches by themselves using stock shackles. If you use his shackles you could get 1-2 more inches with them.
LiftedAWDAstro wrote:The AAL adds lift by adding in extra weight capacity. That combined with the extended shackle will net a good 4". Does the new leaf pack require the extended shackle? If it doesn't, I would go the new leaf pack route. If it requires the shackle I would just go with the AAL and plan a 2 - 4 degree shim for the pinion angle.
As Lifted said, Dan told me the same thing about the AAL and the extended shackles, roughly 4-5 inches depending on the condition of your stock springs. I forgot the extended shackle in my earlier post. #-o I didn't want to use the shackle for the reasons of having to shim the axle.
Brandon
Bay City, MI

1997 Astro LT 4x4 48,000 Miles,
Custom Lift: 3" body spacers, torsion keys,
4" leaf spring relocation mounts (by ME),
added a leaf spring from a 94 S10 blazer.
All this gives me 5-6 inches of lift.
General Grabber AT2 31X10.50R15
Custom fit Brush guard
Western 7' 6" plow pictures coming soon...
1997 Buick Century 198,000 miles

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

When i did my 95, I did the 3" shackles and 2" lift blocks. The main reason was due to the 3" HD front coil springs (RWD) I got from dan along with the 2" body lift netted me almost 6" of lift in the front . The rear actually sat a little lower due to the condition of the saggy rear springs, I also had major spring wrap due ot he blocks and weak leaves. I then used a leaf spring from the front of an old K5 as an AAL which gave me the extra lift back and more towing capacity on the rear.
I say all that.... in retrospect, I would have gone with Dan's shackles and AAl cause I'm cheap and they work for a DD vs needing a good spring pack for offroad. I had the blocks and leaves so I went that way. If money is not an issue, go with new springs.