96' cargao astro, soon to be V8

Post photos, video of your van

astronut74
I sleep in my van

Re: 96' cargao astro, soon to be V8

Post by astronut74 »

peter wrote:Beautiful truck, Vance. I'm anxious to see it finished!

As well, it simply blows me away how much technology has advanced in regards to paint. Solid colours were the only choice. Then they came out with mini-metalflake paint. Then those big flakes we saw so much of in the 70's. Then pearl-type paints in the 90's.
And now water-droplet finishes?
Is there no end to the creativity of manufacturers? :-k

:muhaha:
You know, peter, if you really want to know how to create the "water-droplet finish", might I suggest you check out this link:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Water-D ... -airbrush/ :D

Or you could just take a picture after it rained!!!

Vance, there wouldn't happen to be a downfiring sub in the center console would there? Or is it just the two in the back? Lookin' Good!
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

Topic author
phatmaxx87
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by phatmaxx87 »

Thank you all. I really get a lot from these kind of posts. I have not had a lot of energy lately due to school and 70 hour work weeks. Now that school is a lot slower and I am not working as much, I seem to have a lot more energy. Huh, go figure. Plan on seeing some cool things in the future.

Anyways, no sub in CC, just the 12's in the back.

thanks again.

-Vance
96' Chevy Astro Cargo. Custom paint. 5.7 Vortec motor stroked out to a 383ci. 17" wheels Dad stripped it.

Topic author
phatmaxx87

Post by phatmaxx87 »

well, it was a good day do be an Astro owner. I took the van to AP tuning here in columbus Ohio and they dyno'd the van for me so I could get a base HP and torque number. Drove it to work, to the dyno shop, three pulls and it drove home with out a scratch. Here are the pictures,........and video. :guitar: BTW, the last pull was with the A/C on, just to see how much it killed power.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/P ... p005-5.flv

The HP is 131 and 180 FtLB of torque. Mind you that this at the rear wheels and the van has 170K on it. Enjoy.

-Vance
96' Chevy Astro Cargo. Custom paint. 5.7 Vortec motor stroked out to a 383ci. 17" wheels Dad stripped it.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Talk about baseline readings. You've actually done it. We all pretty well guessed. Good for you! =D> :supz:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

That was great that you dyno-ed your van to get a base reading, great picture also......

After you have fitted the V8 it will be cool to compare graphs.... I know that you will enjoy that extra torque.... :supz:
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Topic author
phatmaxx87

Post by phatmaxx87 »

dont know where vance was gonna post this at but figured the last dyno info was here add more here. well he had the day off and i took the day off so we could get his van dyno tuned. so we took his van through hell yesterday through ohio wonderul winter and all looked well. well wake up today crank no start.......fuel pump died!!!! so im wating him to pick up his line wrenches and the fuel pump and figured id post out here in the garage are little adventures!!
Danny

nitropyro

Post by nitropyro »

vance, post dyno sheet!
Danny im 21 year old with an 89 astro bbc 9in bagged 20's & 18's

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

I like the cloth dash and console.....
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)