97 Astro Engine Replace, Repair or Buy Another Van

Topic author
shadowdog
I am merely driving my van

97 Astro Engine Replace, Repair or Buy Another Van

Post by shadowdog »

I am new to the forum, but not to Astros. We have had Rosemary since 2002. She has 187K on the original engine and transmission. Recently her engine has developed a coolant leak from the left bank of cylinders. It seems to be coming from the head gasket, although from reading the forums it may also be leaking from the intake gasket. A bottle of stop leak has cured the leak temporarily. My question to you experts is should I replace the engine with a used or overhauled unit, repair the leak or get a different van. List pros and cons of each. I eagerly await your replies.

92astro
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: 97 Astro Engine Replace, Repair or Buy Another Van

Post by 92astro »

i would just rebuild the top end which is replace the head gaskets and intake gasket. also while it is apart you could replace the valve guide seals and water pump and hoses. these vans go to 300,000 miles or more so it is worth it.!!
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

I agree with Bryan. Might as well keep going with it if it's paid off. Grumpy will have 302k miles with no rebuilds on it when I get home from work tomorrow, just to show ya far they'll go. Hell it had 300k on the original cap/rotor/plugs/wiring due to POs neglect.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

I think it is a simple matter of what you are willing to spend.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

If the engine isn't overheating and is running fine, my guess is you have an intake coolant leak. Pull the intake off and throw a new gasket in there and run her for another 100k.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

At a 185,000 I did the intake manifold gaskets for the same reason. Coolant leak. It cured the problem. Do a compression check. That will tell you if the leak is in the head gaskets. \:D/ Welcome to the site. We're a bunch of Astrosafarian crazies. Lots of good people and more info than you can imagine. :)
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
shadowdog

Post by shadowdog »

I forgot to mention that she burns about a quart of oil in 3000 miles. Does that change the scenario much? Also, how hard is it to get the manifold off? It looks pretty tight in there.

SSAstro
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by SSAstro »

take the doghouse off and look at the back of the motor that way and you should be able to tell if its the intake or not and if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself have a shop do it i had mine replaced for like 300.00 with parts so if it is a head gasket you can also tell by checking your oil and seeing if its a milky color

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

If it were me , i'd do a top end rebuild . redo the heads , new gaskets all the way around etc..... much cheaper than replacing the motor & you'd be good for at least another 100K . if you can afford it clean or replace your injection system while its apart .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

My Dad retired from GM and said every new car gets a few pellets before it goes out the door. Here's the exact brand GM uses.
http://www.barsproducts.com/HDC.htm

I had the same "leak" you mentioned awhile back. I actually forgot all about it until you brought it up just now. I stuck some "pellets" in there and haven't had the problem since. If it does creep back, I'll just replace the gasket.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

Jinmajay
I sleep in my van

Post by Jinmajay »

Digging up old posts....

Hey, at least I do searches...

I just got a new to me, a very much previously enjoyed 1999 AWD stro for $2k (140k) but had to put a lot of work into it mechanically. The previous owners drove it.

Done
Shocks
brakes
rear end (swapped out of the 98)
fuel tank (I had a new fuel pump in my 98)
radiator
belt
t-stat
2-idler arms
cd player
door handles
mirror
swapped tires
t-case seal
wiper arm
multiple inside trim pieces
rear door seal
spare tire
installed hitch
timberlands
oil and filter
front diff gear oil
changed rear gear oil

Still broke or needed
radio illumination light
head gasket
timing cover seal
oil lines
main seal
tranny fluid and filter
mirror control
charge a/c
High speed on blower

When I changed the oil, about a half of cup of water came out first. I have noticed that it starts really quick. I haven't ran it much since all the work (today) so I haven't check to see how much coolant is needed. I'm sure that it has a leak on the head gasket and I want to but some stop leak in until spring and then i can install the newly rebuilt 4.3 out of the 98. I found this stuff (from the website above) and I want to know if anyone ever used it? It is for blown head gaskets.

http://www.barsproducts.com/1111.htm

I wanted to drive it back to NY (Gary land) this Christmas with the family but really don't trust it. We have six people and I'm am instead having to use my 2000 Silverado. This is a 17 hour drive and it will be very tight. The two boys are 6 ft plus and it's an extended cab truck (not Crew).

What would you do?

j
The Tran man http://jayjensen.shutterfly.com/action/

1994 AWD GMC Safari, V8 truck van project
1998 2WD Astro
1999 AWD Astro

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I would not drive the van with a KNOWN head gasket failure. You will be just asking for trouble. Either rent/borrow a bigger vehicle or just drive the truck.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

CaptSquid

Post by CaptSquid »

I had the same problem with Klementine. It WASN'T a head gasket problem. The problem was the intake manifold itself! There was a thumbnail sized divot that leaked coolant profusely; so much coolant was lost that it took me 3 litres of water to travel 10 miles! I ended up replacing the manifold with a jy manifold; that was 5 years ago. Of course, at the same time, the water pump went out, too. Ended up setting me back $1400!
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Jinmajay
I sleep in my van

Post by Jinmajay »

I drove the van about 100 miles this far and it looks like it used 1 or 2 pints. It was down around the bottom of the neck of the radiator. The coolant overflow was down some too. I did buy the gasket sealer stuff above ($29.99) and I will put it in after I change the thermostat Saturday. I bought the Dorman oil lines ($54.00) and might tackle this as well. I will try to remember to report how the stuff works (if it does at all).

Yep, I need to let go and just take the truck. I haven't loaded the van down with people to see if it looses power up inclines. It would be my luck to break down on hwy I70 on Christmas eve... We are suposed to be close to our family during the Christmas season anyway.
The Tran man http://jayjensen.shutterfly.com/action/

1994 AWD GMC Safari, V8 truck van project
1998 2WD Astro
1999 AWD Astro