I have gotten sick

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: I have gotten sick

Post by GEJ »

Well last week I went,for the first time in five yrs,for a nuclear heart stress test/MRI.This is after yrs ago I have had two stents put in my heart.It is after walking away from any meds for the same for about fours yrs.Recently I was having alittle chest pain while working lifting some wt's.I was thinking my doctor was going to tell me I needed more stents or a open heart operation and I was going to tell him to treat it with meds.

Now I wanted to share the good news with my ASV family.They found nothing in the MRI or in the stress tests.That's pretty cool.

The down side is while having to hold my left arm in a kind of twisted position for the MRI for 15 minutes I must have pulled some muscles in my neck/back and have been suffering from the worse stiff neck I have ever had in my whole life.Yeah-my dumb luck.Sure hopes that goes away soon.

Now if I can only get this diet thing under control for the diabetes I should be ok.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Good news, Gary. Glad to hear it. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

I know just the cure. Lynne gives one great massage. You're both in NY. Being the selfless and giving soul that I know her to be, I'm sure she'd be more'n happy to drive down to Rochester to pummel you. =D>
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Good news budro,,hang in there. :bounce:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

peter wrote:I know just the cure. Lynne gives one great massage. You're both in NY. Being the selfless and giving soul that I know her to be, I'm sure she'd be more'n happy to drive down to Rochester to pummel you. =D>

Petey-I doubt she would have in mind for this skull capped old fa.t a massage. :axe: :axe: :muhaha:
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

ds99
I get chills without my van.

Post by ds99 »

Sounds like if Petey can't touch you he is sending a proxy... :muhaha:
98 AWD Astro w/Corvette servos and shift kit,
The Watermelon
I have a shoe, and its scary...
No I wasn't in prison, just busy with kids :)

dumb lady
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dumb lady »

Hey Gary, sorry to hear you've been feeling poorly. Good news the heart's ok though!
Take good care of yourself & good luck with the diet.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
~Ayn Rand

'96 RWD Astro. 155K

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Well I am still in the fight with what is going on with my diabetics.My numbers from testing is still not stable enough to make me feel better.I am doing whatever I can for a healthier diet watching carbs.My eye sight is somewhat blurred long distance and I need to make a appointment with a eye doctor for a exam.I saw a primary care doctor today and she is sending me for additional blood tests.Only good thing to come out of this so far is I dropped from 234lbs to 223 in three wks.My personal goal is 200 lbs.LOL I then could go back to a belly button the was a inner vs a outey like I have now.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

You have the ultimate control over your destiny, Gary. You can do this, of that I'm confident.

Oh, and Lynne's confirmed that she and Huntercruize intend to pummel you with massage oil at the next NECO. What more can you ask for? \:D/
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Drooler
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Drooler »

I have been diabetic since late 2000 when I had a stroke that effected my right side. Nothing works properly on my right side. Everything went haywire - even the testosterone level dropped to almost off the chart. I liked the comment about the new fangled meds not working - so true. About 8 months ago the doc took me off the meds I was taking for years and gave me some new drugs. Well prior to the change my bs was normally 130- 140 BUT the indicator for how my bs was controlled was well in the good zone. NOW my bs is all over the place - this AM at 8:30it was 203 - for dinner last night at 6PM, I had 1 beer, fish & Chips and no appetizer and one cookie for "dessert" after I got home. I have a DR appointment next week and we are having a real nice talk about getting off the designer crap and going back to the basics. I agree with all - this sucks.
course there is a good side - when I had shoulder surgery in Nov I didn't take pain pills after the second day :rolleyes:
Drooler
aka
HarryB
1988 Astro CL 172K miles Factory F&R Sway bars stock except
for 15x7 GM Alloys with 225x70 tires.
RIP 1994-2010 driven 140K. Time, wear, and my health sent it
to the trade in block 9/10/10.

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Drooler wrote:I have been diabetic since late 2000 when I had a stroke that effected my right side. Nothing works properly on my right side. Everything went haywire - even the testosterone level dropped to almost off the chart. I liked the comment about the new fangled meds not working - so true. About 8 months ago the doc took me off the meds I was taking for years and gave me some new drugs. Well prior to the change my bs was normally 130- 140 BUT the indicator for how my bs was controlled was well in the good zone. NOW my bs is all over the place - this AM at 8:30it was 203 - for dinner last night at 6PM, I had 1 beer, fish & Chips and no appetizer and one cookie for "dessert" after I got home. I have a DR appointment next week and we are having a real nice talk about getting off the designer crap and going back to the basics. I agree with all - this sucks.
course there is a good side - when I had shoulder surgery in Nov I didn't take pain pills after the second day :rolleyes:

Think about it some.The food you eat all making you sick.Risks of lost eye sight and limns are very real.So this fight I am talking about is one for the rest of my life.It is very serous stuff.When I found out I had it,I took it pretty hard.The extra costs of co-pay meds and doctors appointments and tests are not cheap.Insulin shots is a endless event that I am trying to avoid with these pills because once on them,you can never stop and it increases the risks ten fold.This diabetic disease is not anything anyone should take lightly.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Gary, do some research into eating less processed foods etc, more raw foods,cut out the crap fats, drink at least 8-10 cups of water per day ( this alone would make many people much healthier for so many reasons ) not tap water either! you don't need any more Flouride in your system. Have you quit smoking yet? how much exercise are you getting each day? Stop drinking ANY POP! sugar free or whatever it is a ALL absolute garbage for your body and the single biggest dietary contributing factor to the millions of Diabetes cases that are plagueing North Americans especially in kids, it really should be outlawed!

If you do not take these matters seriously you will not get better and the meds will be just money down the drain, besides if you make the necessary diet and lifestyle changes you will need far less meds anyways, like Peter said above..."You have the ultimate control over your destiny, Gary."

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

I am learning every day.I now know how to read labels on the foods I ate before this happened.Never was big into soda's,so no great loss there.Snack's are confined to carrots given the carbs involved.With the laps I end up doing at Lowes,Doc thinks that is plenty of exercise given the issues of the heart for now.I need to tell you all how much this impacted me being barely able to keep up.I have for a long time only could work 8hrs and sleep and not much more than that.The hrs I spent on the site was because I was so sore I couldn't sleep.It effects your muscles so the food for energy to them is kept away and you feel like you have the flue all the time.It also makes you moody with a quick temper most of the time.This is symptoms that I don't know how long I have been suffering with.I activity think about if I eat because of it being a comfort food due to frustration or because I am truly hungry.Portion size is key here.

The main reason I took this so hard was I ALWAYS have done whatever I wanted.Free to be where i wanted and do whatever I wanted.Well this changes all that.

I am trying to change.Insulin shots-well if it gets to that level,I'll have to make serious decisions based on how I feel then.For now it's the pills and diet and we'll see where that leads.

Zam-thanks you very much for your posting.I am working very hard to get-er-done.Giving up smoking honestly isn't a option right now.But everything else I am taking to heart.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Dude.........If you are still smoking then everything else is a mute point. ](*,) ](*,) Smoking is the number one deterant to good health. If you don't quit right NOW then you might as well forget every other effort to get your health back. [-X [-X [-X [-X
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Smiliesafari wrote:Dude.........If you are still smoking then everything else is a mute point. ](*,) ](*,) Smoking is the number one deterant to good health. If you don't quit right NOW then you might as well forget every other effort to get your health back. [-X [-X [-X [-X
Thank you Skip, :supz:

Telling people that "Giving up smoking honestly isn't a option right now" is basically telling people that you are not SERIOUS about getting your health back! and if you are not serious, what is the point in telling everybody about all your health problems? you know that people are generally going to offer advice and so forth, but if you come back with the kind of answer like you gave then the advice will soon go away.

You said earlier "The main reason I took this so hard was I ALWAYS have done whatever I wanted"...which obviously was a lifestyle which put HEALTH on the back-burner, now you are paying for that and need to make some smart decisions real quick if you want to turn things around, you didn't wreck your health overnight and you won't get healthy over-night, but you can put yourself on the road to becoming healthier.

There is alot more to life than carrot sticks and watchin carbs, start doing some real research on that computer of yours, don't just take your Dr's word for everything because the simple truth of the matter is that most Dr's ( who are part of the mainstream medical profession ) know very little about proper nutrition and alternative methods of treating deseases and conditions, if they are not pushing pills for the big drug companies they are not interested. If it involves trauma or elective surgery then see a Doc, but in a case like this you are better off taking the reins and making some smart decisions and lifestyle changes which you can do on your own.

And finally, don't just thank me for what I said, there were alot of members that offered good solid advice before I did, but if you really want to thank people, then do the research and take the good advice so that in a year from now we will hear how you have change your life around and gotten healthier,not WORSE!