Jane is D.O.R.

Topic author
pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

Jane is D.O.R.

Post by pengyou »

dead on the road :( Fortunately I was only half a block from my home on a hill, and was able to roll it back and park it on the side of the street. She has half a tank of gas, turns over but doesn't start. My first guess would be fuel pump. Does that sound reasonable?

I had a mechanic plug it into his computer diagnostic reader in November. He said that the engine was really strong and everything seemed to be ok.

I do know that the tranny has some issues and that I need to replace the (I think) right ball joints. If it is the fuel pump and if I buy a used tranny from a 2003 or 2004 I can probably get her all set up for $1,500

I know that it is possible that something else will go. Still, I find that this van suits my needs perfectly. If I bought a van that was a few years newer it would cost me $3K and I wouldn't be much better off than I am now. I can't afford a new van, or even something that is 3-4 years old. To be honest, I prefer the functional shape (interior and exterior) of the Astro.

Any dialog on this?
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Jane is D.O.R.

Post by GEJ »

check the fuel pressure and if it will start temporary with starting fluid.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Sounds like fuel pump to me as well. Get a pressure tester and hook it to the fuel rail at the back of the engine. You will need to remove the doghouse to access this test port. You should see 55 - 60 psi all the time.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Did it just die?
Always check coil/spark.......
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

When you turn the key on, are you hearing the pump run to prime the system? My guess is the pump though.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

I was making a left hand turn near my street and it stopped. i will check spark and other things later - it is raining now.
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Interesting.Raining and it quit.....yeah look at the spark question too. :-k
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

chemist

Post by chemist »

That's not far off how the fuel pump in my 98 Astro went...

Previous Vans: 1998 Astro, AWD, 138K mi; traded on 2003 Chevy Astro, AWD, 125K mi; traded on
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT, 4x4, ext, long box
2007 Chevy Cobalt
1998 Maza MPV (180K mi and in need of PA inspection--only paid $500!)

Needed: a Gen 2 Astro project vehicle...

Topic author
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

Thanks! I had my mechanic look at it and he said that there seemed to be nothing wrong with the fuel pump. He said that it was not getting signals from the "brain" to tell it to pump fuel. I shuddered when I heard this....electronic stuff can get really expensive very quickly. I hope it is just a problem with a wire.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

pengyou wrote:he said that there seemed to be nothing wrong with the fuel pump. He said that it was not getting signals from the "brain" to tell it to pump fuel.
I would get a different mechanic. That one is not up to date on anything newer than 1982! :yawinkle: If he says the pump is not pumping fuel, how in the hell did he diagnose a GOOD pump? Must be some new telekinesis thingy going on there! There HAS to be a running pump to measure the pressure. That is the only way to tell if it is good or not. Even if the ECM didn't tell the pump to run, the oil pressure relay would turn it on after about 5-10 seconds of cranking and building some oil pressure.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc

9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Post by 9dawgs »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:
pengyou wrote:he said that there seemed to be nothing wrong with the fuel pump. He said that it was not getting signals from the "brain" to tell it to pump fuel.
I would get a different mechanic.
I agree with Lifted. The fuel pumps on these things are either on or off. I've replaced 3 between 2 different Astros. Replaced 2 in my driveway and 1 in the parking lot of my church. They always go at a moments notice with no warning. The job isn't easy but it isn't impossible either. I would say replace the pump and everything should be fine. They cost around $200 at Autozone with a warranty and about 2hrs of your time. If you need help, just ask someone here. Keep us posted.
Jim<><

'99 Astro 4X2, (RIP) 4" Overland Lift, 31X10.50/15 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO,
Rancho RS5000 shocks, Rockford Fosgate RFX9000, Red Top Optima, K&N Filter

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

Topic author
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

Thanks! He connected a computer reader thingie to the van to do some diagnosis - I don't know if that makes any difference. He said that it was not getting a signal from somewhere...sorry for such a poor description.

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

If I am reading this right,what he is saying is the data link is not communicating with the computer.Not sure about your yr van,maybe there is a in-line fuse that is blown.Hope someone will chime in to clarify that.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Topic author
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

Thanks...put another way, what he said was the "doohickey" that is supposed to tell the fuel pump to pump gas is not working - no signal. He did not do a fuel pressure test, just used his computer reader. Sometimes I think I should buy a late 60's model van - no computers at all - but get one with an inline 6 cyl and put a throttle body carb and high energy ignition system on it with some good ole headers...no computers at all!

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Once again I will repeat what I said...There is NO way he can tell you it has a good fuel pump without it running and pumping fuel to the rail. He HAS to do a fuel pressure test and he can ONLY do this once he checks to see if the pump is actually running or not. When you turn the key on, the pump should run for approximately 2 seconds until pressure is built. If the key is turned on and the pump does nothing, it is time to get a volt meter out and see if there is power at the fuel pump connector under the van. Another way is to jump +12V to the test connector on the passenger side firewall right near the fuel pump relay.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned: