Jane is D.O.R.

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Jane is D.O.R.

Post by ihatemybike »

Do these things, without mechanic if needed. We'll save you money, where a mechanic is trying to support a business.

Listen for pump. Let the van sit a while, turn the key, to the on position, the pump should run for just a little. That will prove if the computer is doing its thing.

If you hear the pump, remove the engine cover and check the pressure. Most times the pumps don't just die, but they get too weak to start/run the engine. Grumpy ran for several months with a weak fuel pump after being fired up with starting fluid. Green's pump went below running pressure while interstate cruising.

If you end up needing the pump, http://www.getgmparts.com/ has your van's Delphi/ACDelco pump for less than $70.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Peng...Open the relay box under the hood. Locate the fuel pump relay. Pull it out. Bend a paper clip in a "U" shape with the legs about an inch apart. Turn the relay over. There are five contacts numbered 1-5. Take the paper clip and insert it in the relay sockets that coinside with contacts number 3 and 5. This will bypass everything and start the fuel pump running. Now...go take off the gas cap and listen for the fuel pump. If you hear it "good". If you don't then it's pretty plain what to do next. You still need to do a pressure check. The fuel pump running isn't a guarantee that there's enough pressure to keep the engine running. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by pengyou »

Thanks! It was the fuel pump, although I have neither tools nor space to do the work myself. While I had it in the shop I had the plugs, wires, distrib cap, etc replaced. The wires looked like originals. There were three brands of plugs in the engine - now there is only one :)

Thanks for all of your help!

I love my van :)
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Glad you got her running again. :bounce:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

coolen
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by coolen »

doohickey = 12volts...

:rolleyes:

i definitley agree with finding a new mechanic. basically just get him to use a test light at the plug for the pump. if there is power, and no pumpy, then you have a dead pump. i've changed my fair share as well, all of which was in my driveway. i got rather good at it..lol

i didn't notice the second page to this thread..don't mind me, long night, and the wife is ready to "pop" our 3rd any day now. \:D/

glad you got it runnin' again.. :supz:
95 safari AWD
94 astro, just itchin' for a V8!!