What kind of electrical problem would fry a fuel pump?

Topic author
pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

What kind of electrical problem would fry a fuel pump?

Post by pengyou »

I am starting to look for an awd astro. I found an ad for a vehicle that has a clean interior, straight body and good engine/tranny (I am just quoting the ad) but has an electrical problem that eats fuel pumps. What kind of problem could this be?

I want an awd van so badly I can almost taste it :) I would feel so much more confident driving down the forest service roads that take me to the areas that I like to camp in. They are pretty flat and easy to negotiate but when it rains (Oregon) they are a little but scary....but I don't want to buy into a disaster.
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: What kind of electrical problem would fry a fuel pump?

Post by dunedog »

I do not know what 'eats' fuel pumps but my feeling that running the tank near empty all the time keeps a pump working harder trying to draw and therefore heats it up.
This constant abuse can't help the longevity of this mechanism....... :-k
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

Topic author
pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by pengyou »

Thanks! That is good advice and undoubtably true, especially since they put ethanol in the gas here in Oregon. But from the ad it seems to me that the pumps are going quickly because of a problem with the electrical system - i have sent an email asking for clarification about this.

Any ideas? I hate electrical problems! It is hard to find someone who is skilled enough to track them down without systematically replacing every part in the system until the problem is gone.
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Anything but a GM pump also is suspect. If these pumps that were used were anything but genuine AC/Delco Gm parts .......that's your problem.!Simple as that.....All other replacement pumps never seem to last.....period!
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

Just a thought,but I am not sure replacing the pump without replacing the internal wiring harness would be a good thing for the pump(s).That would be very true if the harness was shorted out.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Bad connections cause resistance which equals excessise heat and that will destroy any electrical device. There have been a bizzilion fuel pumps meet their premature death because of faulty wiring and or bad connections. The fact that with all new fuel pumps come new wiring and connectors makes the case. And there are cheap junk fuel pumps on the market. Don't buy one. You'll only have to replace it sooner than later. Bosch is another high end pump. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle