want an upgrade on a budget

Topic author
chemist
I finally get the smurf thing

want an upgrade on a budget

Post by chemist »

I've got an 03 Astro van that is completely stock. The only special things about it are synthetic oil and a K&N filter for the factory intake. To be honest I'm not entirely impressed with the K&N, although the engine did feel and sound slightly different...

I want to do something for it for $300 or under. I want a couple more horsepower or maybe even a couple more mpg. Would something like the volant air intake be worth it. They claim up to 18 HP and 40 lbs more torque, but what can I realistically expect out of it? Does anyone have any other suggestions for a performace upgrade in my budget?

Previous Vans: 1998 Astro, AWD, 138K mi; traded on 2003 Chevy Astro, AWD, 125K mi; traded on
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT, 4x4, ext, long box
2007 Chevy Cobalt
1998 Maza MPV (180K mi and in need of PA inspection--only paid $500!)

Needed: a Gen 2 Astro project vehicle...

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: want an upgrade on a budget

Post by potskie »

Corvette Servo, stage 2 shift kit, Larger boost valve. Won't actually have more power but will feel like it as it hammers through gears.

Under drive pulleys.

4.11 gears.

Electric fan.

Bunch more low rent stuff that I can't think of at this moment.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

I agree with Pots about the 4.10 gears.But I think the costs for front and rear(given the install costs too) would be greater than you have budgeted for.Yet,it would give you more grunt bringing your engine up into it's power band and set the stage for further mods.(even 3.72's)Yepper-I think the gear change would be a good investment.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

new computer chip, off the shelf stage 1 or a custom tuned chip...
If you buy off the shelf pay attention to the fine print, when they tell you to burn premium gas to get the benefit, they aren't kidding. My stage one chip requires mid grade, and I can tell the difference when I put regular gas in it.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
chemist

Post by chemist »

These new computer chips, do they give enough in fuel savings to offset the 92 octane price? There's a reason I'm not running out to buy a crate V8 motor--believe it or not I'm kinda poor... If it does or doesn't do that please let me know of your experience.

Also, nobody is talking about the air intakes. Are they just snake oil or can they really give that power or milage boost (driving dependant) they claim? What have you experienced?

I'm very curious about these underdrive pulleys. I'd love it if folks could share some experiences on these. When you hammer the gas or haul stuff, do you really get more power. When you take it easy on the gas, do you notice it at the pump? How noticable is this difference if any?

Because I've got two differentials, changing gears can't happen until later. There are a lot of hills here, so that will have to eventually happen. A friend who used to be a GM mechanic told me not to do that because of the tight computer control on the cars from this decade. What is downside he was talking about?

Would an AWD switch do anything for me?

Previous Vans: 1998 Astro, AWD, 138K mi; traded on 2003 Chevy Astro, AWD, 125K mi; traded on
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT, 4x4, ext, long box
2007 Chevy Cobalt
1998 Maza MPV (180K mi and in need of PA inspection--only paid $500!)

Needed: a Gen 2 Astro project vehicle...

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Remove the restrictor plate on the throttle blade. More air = more power.

You can buy one without one from CFM Technologies for around $40.
or
The throttle blade from a 4.8L Northstar is supposed to fit. You can find them in the junk yard cheap, but you'll have to drill the idle hole.
or
You can cut the plate off the current blade. (I've done this one.)
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Forget the air filter mods. If you drive your van at 9000 rpm then there might be a slight improvement. At average daily driver rpms they're a complete waste of money. Removing the restrictor in the throttle body is a good one. It wont give you any more power or improve mpg but will improve the throttle response. It will feel better. You have to remember these are small engines trying to push around a 4000 lb mass. And at anything over 60 mph they have the aerodynamics of a flat screen tv. Contrary to most thoughts, the V8 conversion doesn't have to cost mega thousands. A bone stock 305 conversion can be a very cost effect upgrade. And if you want to improve the 305 there are gobs more upgrade parts than are available for the 4.3 V6. If more power and better mpg are your goal then you just can't beat the small block V8 conversion. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

While not a performance upgrade,......the best thing you can do for the vehicle is add a transmission cooler. Dollar for dollar absolutely the best investment you can make !!!
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

I agree with smiles cold air intakes aren't very helpful on our van (i intend to do it anyways tho), the throttle plate is a good idea for sure and can be done for FREE. Gears are agreat improvment (especially if you do alot of hill climbing) but on our AWD's a fairly costly investment. A V8 would be an awesome improvment but cost more then the gears and probably a considerable amount of down time. I have underdrive pulleys on my van and the first thing i noticed is that my idle rpm went down, still cools and charges fine. The last full tank i did only city driving on and i did 450km plus my 5-10 min idle times before i even get in the van (damn cold winter days) and i'm not a light footed driver
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

You can also add an EGR restictor to decrease the amount of exhaust gas re-introduced into the engine.

Check them out on S10Planet.

Not sure if they will work on your 2003. I made my own EGR limiter (CPI EGR Limiter on S10Planet) and installed it on my 2000 when I had it.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

ihatemybike wrote:You can also add an EGR restictor to decrease the amount of exhaust gas re-introduced into the engine.

Check them out on S10Planet.

Not sure if they will work on your 2003. I made my own EGR limiter (CPI EGR Limiter on S10Planet) and installed it on my 2000 when I had it.

Arron-How does that effect all the reads of all the other sensors??.Lean on the gas side because of a richer air mixture,Ox sensor reads off,etc????.Curious??. :-k
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

The computer will readjust the fuel to match the Oxygen within a few cycles. My 2000 never set any codes as a result of the mod.
Aaron

zombie{[six]}

Post by zombie{[six]} »

Smiliesafari wrote:Forget the air filter mods. If you drive your van at 9000 rpm then there might be a slight improvement. At average daily driver rpms they're a complete waste of money. Removing the restrictor in the throttle body is a good one. It wont give you any more power or improve mpg but will improve the throttle response. It will feel better. You have to remember these are small engines trying to push around a 4000 lb mass. And at anything over 60 mph they have the aerodynamics of a flat screen tv. Contrary to most thoughts, the V8 conversion doesn't have to cost mega thousands. A bone stock 305 conversion can be a very cost effect upgrade. And if you want to improve the 305 there are gobs more upgrade parts than are available for the 4.3 V6. If more power and better mpg are your goal then you just can't beat the small block V8 conversion. \:D/
Filter upgrades make a WORLD of difference buddy. I had a cheapy fram filter in my van, brand new, clean...you get the picture. ran good and then i flipped the hat on the intake to expose the filter and holy jesus folks it was a huge difference. I then went out and got a spectre filter kit and noticed a HUGE improvement in throttle response. Filter upgrades are not BS
crate 350 bored .60 over, 700R4, lifted...yada yada yada. Who cares what i have, ITS FAST AND I LOVE DRIVING IT!!!

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

zombie{[six]} wrote:
Smiliesafari wrote:Forget the air filter mods. If you drive your van at 9000 rpm then there might be a slight improvement. At average daily driver rpms they're a complete waste of money. Removing the restrictor in the throttle body is a good one. It wont give you any more power or improve mpg but will improve the throttle response. It will feel better. You have to remember these are small engines trying to push around a 4000 lb mass. And at anything over 60 mph they have the aerodynamics of a flat screen tv. Contrary to most thoughts, the V8 conversion doesn't have to cost mega thousands. A bone stock 305 conversion can be a very cost effect upgrade. And if you want to improve the 305 there are gobs more upgrade parts than are available for the 4.3 V6. If more power and better mpg are your goal then you just can't beat the small block V8 conversion. \:D/
Filter upgrades make a WORLD of difference buddy. I had a cheapy fram filter in my van, brand new, clean...you get the picture. ran good and then i flipped the hat on the intake to expose the filter and holy jesus folks it was a huge difference. I then went out and got a spectre filter kit and noticed a HUGE improvement in throttle response. Filter upgrades are not BS

Plse excuse me Chemist and Admins/Mods.

Zombie-the content for your post doesn't really matter to me either way.It's the fact the way you spoke to Smiliesafari that kind of bugs me.Don't think the tone was needed or warranted. [-( [-( Just my two cents opinion.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

92astro

Post by 92astro »

i second the air filter mod. my van is TBI with the round air filter housing what i did was get a k n stock replacement air filter and fliped my air cleaner lid and what a difference it made i love the air sucking noise and the extra power i feel in the upper rpms like above 3,000 rpms it feels stronger.!!
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows