Please Help! Injectors and pcm

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Please Help! Injectors and pcm

Post by meetthespeakers »

Hey guys, Big Blue is in trouble. 1998 AWD 70k on the clock. Here is the run down, speedo stopped working, abs light came on (brakes suck, and light randomly comes on), and it had a really high idle now. So I replaced the VSS on the tranny last night, and it didn't do a damn thing. So I bit the bullet and dropped it off at the dealership.

I get a call this morning, diagnosis is that the fuel injectors are leaking. They leaked onto the wiring harness, and into the PCM. When the pulled/unplugged PCM fuel poured out of it. The said the wiring harness needs to be replaced (PCM and Fuel Injector Harness) because they are melted and gummed up. With that said, they didn't want to work on it because they estimated labor at $2500 not including parts, and they said they no longer make the harness's.

So my thoughts are, if this is true, I am going at lunch to talk to them and pick it up and take it home. Does this diagnosis sound legit? If so, should I replace the injectors, and pcm (get a used one that is reflashed with my vin?). Wiring harness, junkyard? Is it very possibly that this could be causing the other problems, or totally unrelated?

Thanks guys, I am in quite a mess with no cars to drive. Other car is in the shop being restored and that bill is already at the $4k mark. So I am stuck riding a bike right now. And really getting nervous with the check book. :dunce:
1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Re: Please Help! Injectors and pcm

Just picked it up and brought it home. Hopefully have a look at the manual tonight, can't figure out what to do with this thing. Can any one tell me if these 2 parts are correct replacements:

PCM:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Astro-Sa ... 186wt_1120

Fuel Injectors:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-03Upd ... 833wt_1091

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

What codes were pulled out....? please post them.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I don't understand how the dealer poured gas out of the PCM. It is mounted behind the battery and down low. The injectors are inside the intake plenum. Something doesn't add up here. :-k Drive her and give us whatever code comes out.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

I will post the codes when I get home tonight. I thought it was impossible to that the PCM would somehow get fuel on it. It almost seems impossible for the injectors to leak onto the harness and make its way down it and into the plug of the PCM. But the PCM does have fuel on it in the connectors.

I just realized the updated spider injector setup doesn't have the actual injectors, and if the injectors are leaking it would almost be pointless to get that unless I buy 6 injectors as well. Then stuff is adding up real quick. Anyone got a phone number that could pm me. Would really like to talk to someone about the situation. I need to get the van on the road A.S.A.P. It's already been off the road for a week. [-o<

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Okay here are the codes that were written on my diagnosis:

C0035

P1509

There statement:
c0035, and p1509 injectors leaking fuel through harness to pcm, customer advised fire hazard.

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

That looks to be a good price on the PCM, even more so since it comes programmed.

Rockauto.com has the Delphi MFI conversion for $247.79 (3 left)

I'll PM you my number.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Post by v8famvan »

Your question is if this is a legit diagnoisis - Yes it is.
It is not a common fault but it does occur on some vehicles. The injectors start to leak, the wiring harness is sealed to the injector housing & the PCM, you have 60 psi fuel pressure & fuel makes its way thru the wiring harness into the PCM.
I have 20 years experience at a dealership & can say that this is a good diagnosis.
The parts & prices that you have found on e-bay are good ones too. The replacement / upgrade injector setup is a good job & straight forward.
Those parts & a used harness & you will be back on the road.....

For your info...
P1509 - Idle Speed High - Idle Air Control (IAC) System Not Responding.
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

I guess my only questions is, does those codes reflect the diagnosis? Also the spider update I posted I thought was good, but I don't need it correct? It would not solve the leaking injectors, I would have to buy injectors separate and o-rings? Are o-rings normally supplied with injectors? The spider update assembly would just be on top of buying the injectors, o-rings, and pcm? Is that a worth while thing to buy? Cause then I am looking at like $830 worth of parts, versus just buying 6 injectors $60 each, O-rings at $12 each, PCM at $80 or so, and then the spider update is another $320 or so....

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Switching to MFI replaces all the injectors in one shot.

From what I've read I'd do the following:
MFI upgrade
PCM replacement
Wiring harness replacement
New plenum gaskets
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

I just ordered the Updated Spider conversion. It comes with all gaskets and such to do the job. I am going to order the Pcm as well today, and hopefully get the job done end of week. The wiring harness I am going to wait on to see how after installing these items it operates. Should fuel not evaporate after a few days anyway? Last thing I want to do is replace the injectors and pcm and have the new pcm contaminated. Thoughts?

Anyway hopefully this will do the job and get me on the road. I may be pushing it, but I need to take it on a small road trip saturday...... might have to find another car.

cd0156
I get chills without my van.

Post by cd0156 »

Try contacting these guys:

SPARE ECM inc.
Rodney Brenner, CEO
4371 McCance Ci
Fredericksburg OH 44627
330-473-0426
selectcore@aol.com

I used them via Ebay, and got a new PCM for my 99 preprogrammed to my vin for about $70 shipped, and t looks to be a brand new unit. Obviously it was a refurb, but inside and out it is good as new, and has worked great for me. They may also deal in harnesses and such as well, but you would have to ask..

Hope it helps!
1999 Astro 4WD
NP231c Transfer Case Conversion, Custom Shifter and Front Driveshaft, 31x10.5x15 BFG AllTerrain, Custom Warn Front Bumper, DHC Rockrails, Superwinch 5000lb winch, Warn Spotlights and Flood lights on Custom Mounts, Thule Roof Racks Safari Rack and Kayak Racks, Alpine Touchscreen AM/FM/XM/CD/DVD/iPod, Eclipse Amps, Focal Utopia Component Speakers, Alpine TypeR 12" Subs, and probably lots more I am forgetting.... seems to happen more and more these days...

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Yeah fuel mostly evaporates, but it does leave residue behind. I would think cleaning the connectors and then applying dielectric grease would be fine with the wiring harness. Maybe check the harness with multimeter to make sure the wires haven't been compromised.
Aaron

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

I went ahead and ordered the PCM off ebay, not sure if it was the same one you speak of. But it was the same deal, you tell them your vin and they program it for that. Let's see how fast I can get back on the road. Cheers.

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Anyone know of any special procedures you have to perform once a new PCM is installed? One of the mechanics that works for GM didn't want to do the job because he said you have to perform a series of driving runs, 10 miles on highway, street driving, idling, etc? I have been trying to research if there is a special procedure and haven't found anything yet... :whistle: