Post by NotDadsW41 »

CD_S
1991 W41
1995 Astro - Now gone, I am Astroless.
1997 C1500
1989 9C1 Caprice
1997 Bonneville
1998 Olds 88 LS
http://forums.b-body.org - newly updated!

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Drivers side power window motor

Post by Cobra »

first one that came to mind was PRODIGY PARTS 519-951-6770 i'm not sure if the carry cardone but they should have it in stock if they do, not sure one there pricing tho
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

cd0156
I get chills without my van.

Post by cd0156 »

I did both sides from 1aauto.com for US people it was cheap.. Not sure about shipping to Canadia though...
On my 99 I seem to remember having to drill out rivets on the oem one and just used coarse thread screws in place of them.. Pretty easy job though...
1999 Astro 4WD
NP231c Transfer Case Conversion, Custom Shifter and Front Driveshaft, 31x10.5x15 BFG AllTerrain, Custom Warn Front Bumper, DHC Rockrails, Superwinch 5000lb winch, Warn Spotlights and Flood lights on Custom Mounts, Thule Roof Racks Safari Rack and Kayak Racks, Alpine Touchscreen AM/FM/XM/CD/DVD/iPod, Eclipse Amps, Focal Utopia Component Speakers, Alpine TypeR 12" Subs, and probably lots more I am forgetting.... seems to happen more and more these days...

Topic author
afsigma21
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by afsigma21 »

LOL Now I know why my part was so cheap. it is the wrong part.

They shipped me a window strut, looks like a shock absorber, it is for a rear hatch window on some other car.

Part# on the package was right, but it is not a Power window motor as the description says.

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

In your how-to you state:

"Now remove your door panel. I'm not going to cover all the steps in doing this. If you are thinking of replacing the window lift motor, you have had your door panel off before."

Oh what an assumption. I have never had my door panel off before, but that is not stopping me from considering doing my power window motor replacement. Nor does the fact I am willing to do it mean I have any idea at all how take off the door panel. :)
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Cobra wrote:hmmm i know TADD APC STRATFORD 519-271-4848 has the cardone 42-145 in stock i think it's 58 bucks there
ideal supply exeter sometimes buy off us but don't know if they have it and you probably already checked there
Thanks for the part number. It allowed me to order it from an Online supplier (same one I got my KYB gas-adjusts from) for a reasonable price. ($48 IIRC) Now that the front end it done, it is time to do the window motor before I head to the Harrisburg area on the 25th. I don't really want to have a questionable window lift motor just in case it decided to fail after going through customs on a rainy day.
Jim

NotDadsW41
I sleep in my van

Post by NotDadsW41 »

Rileysowner wrote: Oh what an assumption. I have never had my door panel off before, but that is not stopping me from considering doing my power window motor replacement. Nor does the fact I am willing to do it mean I have any idea at all how take off the door panel. :)
Hmm.. Maybe I should change that to: If you are thinking about doing this you must be capable of... blah blah blah...

Plus there will be difference from year to year that I didn't want to cover.

Did you get it done yet?
CD_S
1991 W41
1995 Astro - Now gone, I am Astroless.
1997 C1500
1989 9C1 Caprice
1997 Bonneville
1998 Olds 88 LS
http://forums.b-body.org - newly updated!

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

All the things I put off this past week to get the front-end rebuilt kept me from doing it today. Tomorrow they are calling for rain, so it will have to wait until Monday which is my day off and a holiday. So where we usually do our weekly shopping and the like on Monday, we can't do it this Monday. So I plan on working on the van some more.
Jim

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Started on this, and am now stuck at step 1, getting the inside door cover off. I have a tool to help pull the clips out of their holder, but where are they? So far I have the visible screw out, and the two torx screws that are under the caps which hold the pull handle on removed with the handle, but I am now wondering where the clips are that hold the rest of the interior cover on. I don't really want to break them so suggestions would be appreciated. Now time to do some more searching.
Jim

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Pull the bottom out first,,you'll probably break a couple of clips but they are cheap and are easy to replace. You already have the arm rest off,,interior cover comes off next and then the handle area. Use your clip tool as much as you can to keep from breaking clips. After getting interior panel done,,pull put and up at the sam time to remove from door.
Be sure to tape glass in the up position before drilling motor rivets.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

That did it. Only broke a couple of clips.

Anyway, the motor has been replaced before. Not really that surprising it is a '97. Anyway, when replaced the motor was attached with bolts with a screw head and nuts. Problem is the screw head is on the inside and the nuts on the outside. I can't figure out how to get them off. Once the nut is loosened the bolt starts to spin and unlike a normal bolt, I can't put a small wrench on it. I understand the appeal of this as you can mount the bolt part first, but it makes for a difficult removal. I can barely get my hands in there, and can even touch the one at all. I figured I would ask if anyone has any ideas. Time to go out and see if I can figure out how to get them loose.

Edit:
Figured it out. I didn't realize there was a big opening a little over on the door where I could get my are in. I ran into a related problem though. On of the bolts was tightened too far and the treads where the nut is are stripped so it will turn but not go anywhere. I am wondering how I may be able to get it going. Any suggestions?
Jim

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Dremels and the like are wonderful. After a bit of googling I found the suggestion to use a dremel to cut the nut. I got my rotary tool out, put on a cutting disk, and a minute or two of cutting (accidentally breaking a couple of disks) and the last nut and bolt are out. Motor is out, now to install the new one.
Jim

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Major weirdness. I have the new motor in, and it works, but when I push up on the button it goes down, and when I push down it goes up. Could I have plugged something in backwards, I can't imagine how?

Edit:
I read the instructions that came with the motor and it says that if things are reversed to turn the plug around, but how is the question? It is one of those plugs that will only go in and clip in one way. I have no idea how to turn things around other than the not very appealing approach of cutting wires, soldering and covering with heat shrink tubing. Help would be much appreciated. Maybe I am just missing something.
Jim

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Figured it out. As I stared at the plug, I realized it comes apart. Not easily, but with a small screwdriver one can do it. The I used a long thin punch to get the piece holding the metal parts in up so I could slide them out. Then is was simply switch them, slide them in an put the top piece back in. Now if only Canadian Tire had the clips. I took one as an example and subsequently lost it somewhere between here and there. So now I am missing two, or maybe three. I am trying to decide if I should just put things back together, and pull it apart some other day when I have the clips. Of course then I will probably break some more :( However, I want things back together ;)
Jim