OBD2 Scanners and Dataloggers

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
chartman
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

OBD2 Scanners and Dataloggers

Post by chartman »

OBD2 scanners and dataloggers.....

EaseDiagnostics..is the first one i bought. It has poor control over 4L60E transmissions and ASTRO VINs in General. The tech support is great though and hunting around through different models will allow you to use options they havent yet added to the ASTRO feature database. Price is step as they only offer per VIN databases in the new 5.1 versions of the software.

autoenginuity..seems to offer the most features. It is amazing the amount of data it can access and control. So amazing i called to find out more...well tech support (the products programmer) is an A hole. I simply asked if he could tell me the bidirection controls for the 4L60E and he flipped out. Yelling into his speakerphone "Its not that easy. I dont have the time to look at the sourcecode and read you the list." I explained that other tools promise the world but when it came to a ASTRO van they offer very little bidirectional controls. Before i buy your expensive product i want to make sure it will do what it says. He replied pissed "You dont get it. Its not that simple! It should control mostly what it says it will on the website!" I gave him my best white trash lip and hung up. What a $23^ attitude that arrogant little prick had. I advise everyone to call him asking the same question. 1-480-326-3257 none the less the scanner has all the features as a GM tech2 it seems and many many more. http://www.autoenginuity.com/GM-All-Systems-List.html Another nice thing is $50 will get you the following years updates
Updates to the enhanced interfaces are free for the first year; another year of updates is only 50 USD. (That's 50 per ScanTool not per enhanced interface.)

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

Harbor Freight Cen-Tech item # 94168

Your basic reader and eraser. It has a back-lit 2 line display. I paid $39.99 USD for it (on sale).

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=94168

Just so you will know what you are getting, I have included important safety information about the reader. An informed buyer is a safe buyer.

The CAUTION sticker on the back of the reader reads:
1. Always wear ANSI approved safety goggles during use.
2. Use care when near hot, sharp or moving engine parts.
3. Keep out of children's reach.

Page 1 of the instruction manual has TEN Safety Precautions and Warnings
1. Always perform automotive testing in a safe enviroment.
2. Wear safety eye protection that meets ANSI standards.
3. Keep clothing, hair, hands, tools, test equipment, etc, away from all moving or hot engine parts.
4. Operate the vehicle in a well-ventilated work area; exhaust gases are poisonous.
5. Put blocks on drive wheels and never leave vehicle unattended while running tests.
6. Use extreme caution when working around ignition coil, distributor cap, ignition wires and spark plugs. these components create hazardous voltages when the engine is running.
7. Put transmission in PARK (for automatic transmission) or NEUTRAL (for manual transmission) and make sure the parking brake is engaged.
8. Keep a fire extinguisher suitable for gasoline/chemical/electrical fires nearby.
9. Don't connect or disconnect any test equipment with ignition on or engine running.
10. Keep the code reader dry, clean and free from oil, water and grease. Use a mild detergent on a clean cloth to clean the outside of the code reader, when necessary.
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.