"new style" fuel injector removal

Topic author
active1951
I am merely driving my van

"new style" fuel injector removal

Post by active1951 »

I can not figure out how to remove the injectors from the lower intake manifold. Manual says to hold clips and pull, NO clips to hold on new style injectors on my 2003 Astro.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: "new style" fuel injector removal

Post by Smiliesafari »

I don't know for sure about a '03. My '96 injectors are held in place by a bracket. The ends have to be spread just like you would if it were clips. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
active1951

Post by active1951 »

No bracket to hold individual injectors into lower intake manifold. There is a bracket that holds injector assembly in place. I want to pull the individual injectors out.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

OK..........on each injector there are two tabs. Squeeze them together and pull. You might have to wiggle them a bit. They've been in there a while. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
active1951

Post by active1951 »

Smiliesafari wrote:OK..........on each injector there are two tabs. Squeeze them together and pull. You might have to wiggle them a bit. They've been in there a while. \:D/
No tabs, in 2003 mid year they went to mpfi. The mpfi is what most folks convert to from the cpfi. Anyway, no tabs, nothing to grab, plastic tip goes into lower manifold without any plastic exposed.

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Post by v8famvan »

The old style poppet nozzles had the tabs to squeeze to remove, yours just pulls out. There is a little 'nib' of plastic on them that retains them into the bore. As per this pic from the '96 - '02 4.3 CSFI to MPFI Injector upgrade kit post.
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian

Topic author
active1951

Post by active1951 »

v8famvan wrote:The old style poppet nozzles had the tabs to squeeze to remove, yours just pulls out. There is a little 'nib' of plastic on them that retains them into the bore. As per this pic from the '96 - '02 4.3 CSFI to MPFI Injector upgrade kit post.
Yea, I figured that out, just twist and gently pry. Now the upper intake manifold really goes on snug. Seems like it does not want to go down all the way which means injector connector will not lock. This is really a strange setup. Some engines have the injectors staring at you when you lift the hood up .....