rear doors help

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
astrosafari
I finally get the smurf thing

rear doors help

Post by astrosafari »

95 astro, got the dutch doors. i searched a bit but i dont want to spend all night searchin when it could be an easy fix.
only one side of the window opens when the button is pushed. the other side wont let go. what could it be and what can i do about this? any ways to open it?
91 blazer|00 extreme|99 winter beater

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Re: rear doors help

Post by rlsllc »

There are 4 screws and the 2 bolts that hold the handle on the inside of the lid. That will allow the trim to be removed in one big piece. I haven't tried it in the closed position, so fingers crossed. The latch mechanism is pretty easy to see, and figure out.

I have had someone hold the release while I pound lovingly on the outside of the hatch where the latch is, and pull the handle with my other hand.

Good Luck!

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

With it closed it is possible to remove that trim and manually release the door. Usually they just need to be lubed really good to start functioning properly again.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

yup these guys are right , the inside trim will comeoff with the door closed & its really easy to get the door open once the trim is off (i did this at a campgrounds once without alot of tools on hand ) so it is possible to do . as aaron said lubrication is probably your problem , so make sure its all lubed up & working properly before you put it back together .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

And so.....

Did you get it???

Topic author
astrosafari
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by astrosafari »

ehh. i got it open, the rod came off. them screws aren't the easiest to get at... had to take the handle off the inside too. thanks guys. :)
91 blazer|00 extreme|99 winter beater